Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

grind into second

2K views 31 replies 3 participants last post by  kscoyote 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Beyond said:
when i shift down into second racing, i get a clank/grinding sound. what could it be?

also, please look at this thread: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45611
Need to check your synchros or your clutch . . .

How are you downshifting? If you're going too fast, you'll overrev your engine. Piston to valve contact is not a good thing!

#3 ·
kscoyote said:
Need to check your synchros or your clutch . . .

How are you downshifting? If you're going too fast, you'll overrev your engine. Piston to valve contact is not a good thing!
i was referring to shifting from 1st-2nd, although when i downshift say on the interstate, the max i'll do is 50mph to 2nd which puts me around 4k. by overrev do you mean exceed the redline, or what i just described?

#4 ·
Beyond said:
i was referring to shifting from 1st-2nd, although when i downshift say on the interstate, the max i'll do is 50mph to 2nd which puts me around 4k. by overrev do you mean exceed the redline, or what i just described?
Ah! You're upshifting!

Overrev = exceeding redline

yeah, you need to have your clutch checked.

#5 ·
kscoyote said:
Ah! You're upshifting!

Overrev = exceeding redline

yeah, you need to have your clutch checked.
lol, shows how much of a noob i am w/ cars.

anyways, my clutch started making a clicking noise when being pressed in a while back .. could these two issues be related?

#7 ·
Beyond said:
lol, shows how much of a noob i am w/ cars.

anyways, my clutch started making a clicking noise when being pressed in a while back .. could these two issues be related?
How much do you weigh?

#8 ·
#9 ·
Beyond said:
~ 180......
Sounds like you may have a worn out bushing!

Do you push the clutch pedal really hard?

( It would account for the clicking and the adjustment problem) unless you've got over 60,000 miles of city use on the car.

You probably need to get a clutch quadrant adjuster, & some bushings for the pedals, and check to see that it's not bent.

If it is your clutch, swap out the flywheel to a light weight model while you have it open, that will make the MOST difference in the car's ability to accelerate, outside of new gears.

With gears, it's even better.

:thumbup

#10 ·
kscoyote said:
Sounds like you may have a worn out bushing!

Do you push the clutch pedal really hard?

( It would account for the clicking and the adjustment problem) unless you've got over 60,000 miles of city use on the car.

You probably need to get a clutch quadrant adjuster, & some bushings for the pedals, and check to see that it's not bent.

If it is your clutch, swap out the flywheel to a light weight model while you have it open, that will make the MOST difference in the car's ability to accelerate, outside of new gears.

With gears, it's even better.

:thumbup
yeah, i push it hard when runnin the car. remember how i was comparing my car to my friends 03 v6 and i said mine was a lot slower..and we decided it was probably my tires/wheels? could this be it instead?

#11 ·
Beyond said:
yeah, i push it hard when runnin the car. remember how i was comparing my car to my friends 03 v6 and i said mine was a lot slower..and we decided it was probably my tires/wheels? could this be it instead?
a little of both maybe . . . Is it not engaging?

#12 ·
kscoyote said:
a little of both maybe . . . Is it not engaging?
yeah, second does engage but it still makes the clank/grind sound

#13 ·
Beyond said:
yeah, second does engage but it still makes the clank/grind sound
get that fixed, soon . ..

#14 ·
kscoyote said:
get that fixed, soon . ..
honestly i think my dad will say it's fine (he knows very little about cars).. as if it still works, why fix it? (according to him)

could i take it to a mechanic and have them look at it? if so, how much will something like that cost? and if i take it to a mechanic are they just going to tell me more is wrong than what really is?

why should i get it fixed soon? am i about to lose my clutch completely, rip it out, or what?

#15 ·
last night my friend who has an 03 (same car as mine) sat in mine and messed w/ the clutch for a minute. he described mine as "unusually tight and stuff, requiring a lot more effort to engage than mine [in reference to his clutch]"

his clutch is brand new and it IS true.. it requires so much less effort to engage than mine :confused:

#16 ·
Beyond said:
honestly i think my dad will say it's fine (he knows very little about cars).. as if it still works, why fix it? (according to him)

could i take it to a mechanic and have them look at it? if so, how much will something like that cost? and if i take it to a mechanic are they just going to tell me more is wrong than what really is?

why should i get it fixed soon? am i about to lose my clutch completely, rip it out, or what?
It's usually around 300 dollars.

It's pretty clear you've got clutch chatter. Soon it will be a $1000.00 job, if you let it go.

#17 ·
Beyond said:
last night my friend who has an 03 (same car as mine) sat in mine and messed w/ the clutch for a minute. he described mine as "unusually tight and stuff, requiring a lot more effort to engage than mine [in reference to his clutch]"

his clutch is brand new and it IS true.. it requires so much less effort to engage than mine :confused:
yeah, that's another sign.

every time it grinds, you lose teeth on your gears. you'll have to replace the tranny if you keep going.

Do you ride the clutch? How many miles ar eon the car?

#18 ·
kscoyote said:
yeah, that's another sign.

every time it grinds, you lose teeth on your gears. you'll have to replace the tranny if you keep going.

Do you ride the clutch? How many miles ar eon the car?
yes i ride the clutch, and i didn't realize what i was doing was bad. (if by riding the clutch you mean holding the clutch in while coming to a stop)

68xxx miles

#19 ·
Beyond said:
yes i ride the clutch, and i didn't realize what i was doing was bad. (if by riding the clutch you mean holding the clutch in while coming to a stop)

68xxx miles
No, that's not riding the clutch! That's saving engine and transmission wear!!

Riding the clutch is leaving your foot on the clutch pedal with it partially depressed.

#20 ·
kscoyote said:
No, that's not riding the clutch! That's saving engine and transmission wear!!

Riding the clutch is leaving your foot on the clutch pedal with it partially depressed.
i can't think of one situation when i've ever done that. when/why do people do it?

is it hard on the engine to sit say at a stoplight w/ the clutch engaged rather than having it in neutral?

#21 ·
Beyond said:
i can't think of one situation when i've ever done that. when/why do people do it?

is it hard on the engine to sit say at a stoplight w/ the clutch engaged rather than having it in neutral?
It's safer. Especially in rear-end collision scenarios. the ability to quickly accelerate out of the way is better than having to shift with a car bearing down on you.

the Engine doesn't care, but it slightly shortens clutch life.

#22 ·
Beyond said:

i thought of one time ... when using reverse sometimes i'm half-way on it, but i couldn't imagine doing it any other way

#23 ·
Beyond said:
i thought of one time ... when using reverse sometimes i'm half-way on it, but i couldn't imagine doing it any other way
It's probably normal wear & tear.

#24 ·
one other thing... when i shift into 1st sometimes it kinda kicks me back out. this isn't going very fast either, nor forcefully. is this just the synchro doing it's normal thing?

#25 ·
Beyond said:
one other thing... when i shift into 1st sometimes it kinda kicks me back out. this isn't going very fast either, nor forcefully. is this just the synchro doing it's normal thing?

Ohhh, that's bad!

could be a bad throwout bearing, or a bent shaft.

#26 ·
It could also be an adjustment on your shifter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.