Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is new to me...I have a '12 and had been experiencing grinding 2nd and even sometimes 3rd gear-both while driving 'normally'(slow), so I took it in yesterday.
I wasn't aware of this, but the service writer told me there's a TSB out for the '12s as well, in which Ford instructs them to change the trans fluid to some super-secret blend of magical elixir(s).
Now we all know there's no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks wrecked synchros are gonna be fixed with new fluid, but I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut and see how it plays out.
Edit: FWIW the service writer just told me this is a 'new' TSB-dated 6/22.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Old news brother. The TSB basically says to switch out to a lighter oil for both 11's and 12's.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Old news brother. The TSB basically says to switch out to a lighter oil for both 11's and 12's.
Can you post a copy of it? The service writer just told me this TSB is dated 6/22, so I'm gonna ask him for a copy of it when I pick up the car.
BTW...I can't imagine even these idiots would send a car out with it still grinding gears, so does this work for any period of time at all?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here it is..................
Thanx.. I think I'm getting the shaft, and/or my service writer is a raging MORON. Like everyone else, my gears ar GRINDING, yet this TSB adresses hard-shifting, and doesn't mention grinding whatsoever(not to mention the fact that it's been anything but 'COLD' here in SoCal-it was grinding away in 115 heat last week in Palm Springs). I'm gonna laugh my ass off if when I grab 2nd as I'm passing through the service drive, if the thing grinds as usual.
I'm gonna print this out and compare it to the one the writer says came out last week.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Thanx.. I think I'm getting the shaft, and/or my service writer is a raging MORON. Like everyone else, my gears ar GRINDING, yet this TSB adresses hard-shifting, and doesn't mention grinding whatsoever(not to mention the fact that it's been anything but 'COLD' here in SoCal-it was grinding away in 115 heat last week in Palm Springs). I'm gonna laugh my ass off if when I grab 2nd as I'm passing through the service drive, if the thing grinds as usual.
I'm gonna print this out and compare it to the one the writer says came out last week.
Welcome to the club. Be prepared for people telling you you're just shifting wrong.

Also: keep in mind that a lot of dealers look to the Hotline for help. If after being told what the conditions are the Hotline says just swap the fluid, then the dealer is left with only that option and an angry customer. Take the fluid swap and move on. Maybe it will fix your issues; I remember seeing one poster claiming his issues were solved after the sway. If it doesn't, document the attempt and bring it back to the dealer. Hopefully they don't just tell you "it's a normal characteristic of a high performance vehicle."

·
Registered
191 Posts
At some point, allowing morons to work on your car carries its own risks. Perhaps taking it to another dealer, while simultaneously messaging Deysha to "escalate" the problem would work better for you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
And every time you go back to the dealership for the same complaint, make sure the same words are there on the forms to describe the complaint. That leaves you a paper trail for a lemon law, or for a "good-guy" dealer to twist arms at Ford to replace the transmission for you later.

I had an oil burning problem with a different make vehicle for several years. The dealer kept saying it was normal. At 80,000 miles, a friend recommended a dealer pretty far away, but who was familiar with this problem. The dealer submitted this as a warranty issue, and was able to show my copies of old service records where I complained about this all along.

At 80k, my car got new rings and some seals on the manufacturer's dime. Car doesn't use oil any more.

A good dealer with a smart mechanic is a good find.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So this is new to me...I have a '12 and had been experiencing grinding 2nd and even sometimes 3rd gear-both while driving 'normally'(slow), so I took it in yesterday.
I wasn't aware of this, but the service writer told me there's a TSB out for the '12s as well, in which Ford instructs them to change the trans fluid to some super-secret blend of magical elixir(s).
Now we all know there's no way in H-E-double-hockey-sticks wrecked synchros are gonna be fixed with new fluid, but I'm just gonna keep my mouth shut and see how it plays out.
Edit: FWIW the service writer just told me this is a 'new' TSB-dated 6/22.

BTW, How many miles on your car when you first notice this?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
BTW the magic elixir is nothing more than the transmission fluid used in the Ford Fiesta twin clutch automatic. The jury is out whether this band aid fluid is suitable for long term use in the MT82. It was only used by Ford because it's all the have outside of ATF that's thinner but it's obviously not optimum seeing it's not factory fill.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BTW, How many miles on your car when you first notice this?
Easily the first week, and it's taken me 2-months to put 1,000 miles on it, so under 100 miles, easily.. I wanna say I noticed it driving home.
I appreciate everyone's feedback.. Fortunately(or not) I lemon-lawed a 535 a couple years ago, so I'm well versed in being consistent on my end, as well as documenting everything.
I just got back from picking it up, but everyone had gone home, and despite him saying he would, he didn't leave a copy of the TSB in the envelope with the RO and my keys.
In any event, I could tell straight away that nothing had changed. It didn't grind right off the bat, but just like every other time when it doesn't, it still was notchy as heck. And upon getting onto the surface streets after getting off the freeway, first shift into 2nd it ground away. Left a message on dude's V/M.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Does it grind every time you shift into 2nd or just once in awhile ?
Not that it helps but look over at the Shelby GT500 board and there's a thread there about people having 1st to 2nd grinding problems .
The people who are having tranny problems and not getting anywhere with Ford ought to get organized nationwide and file a class action suit . It worked for the 6.0 diesel owners a few years ago .

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does it grind every time you shift into 2nd or just once in awhile ?
Not that it helps but look over at the Shelby GT500 board and there's a thread there about people having 1st to 2nd grinding problems .
The people who are having tranny problems and not getting anywhere with Ford ought to get organized nationwide and file a class action suit . It worked for the 6.0 diesel owners a few years ago .
Here in Kalifornistan at least, 4 breakdowns(might be only 3), or a combined out of service for 30 days within 18 months qualifies for the Lemon Law. From what I read, I gather that Ford will replace the trans if the Marvel Mystery Oil doesn't work? If they do and it works, great. If they don't, or do but it still does it(seems like they haven't found a way to fix it yet-which is ridiculous), I'll just start LL proceedings. It's easy. The instructions and letter templates(again...for Kalif) are on the web. Don't really even need an attorney.
As far as the frequency of the grindage(new word), it'll do it first time in the car for the day, and then I dunno...every 3rd shift or so. Even when it doesn't do it, shifting into 2nd-and now more and more shifting into 3rd as well- it's pretty notchy. Just like it would if the synchros are worn. That's why I'm flummoxed(not a new word, but one that I've always wanted to use) as to why Ford hasn't fixed it. Whether it simply entails using a harder metal or what, I dunno. One thing's for sure..this ISN'T the first car/truck with 400hp/tq, and a manual trans. It's not that they don't know how to fix it. It's that so far at least, they've decided that the more cost effective avenue is to simply deal with it on a case by case basis. GM tried that on the first generation of injectors on the Duramax engine, and now 10 years later, they're still having to pay to have 'em fixed. They had to extend the warranty on them to 200,000 miles, no matter how many times they go tits up on any particular vehicle. For them however, they would've had to change out the location where the injectors go into the heads-which they did on the 2nd generation Duramax. A lot more expensive than BUILDING YOUR TRANSMISSIONS SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN CHINA:bigthumbsup. IMO, it's a metallurgical problem with these trans'. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course I'm not a metallurgist either...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Here in Kalifornistan at least, 4 breakdowns(might be only 3), or a combined out of service for 30 days within 18 months qualifies for the Lemon Law. From what I read, I gather that Ford will replace the trans if the Marvel Mystery Oil doesn't work? If they do and it works, great. If they don't, or do but it still does it(seems like they haven't found a way to fix it yet-which is ridiculous), I'll just start LL proceedings. It's easy. The instructions and letter templates(again...for Kalif) are on the web. Don't really even need an attorney.
As far as the frequency of the grindage(new word), it'll do it first time in the car for the day, and then I dunno...every 3rd shift or so. Even when it doesn't do it, shifting into 2nd-and now more and more shifting into 3rd as well- it's pretty notchy. Just like it would if the synchros are worn. That's why I'm flummoxed(not a new word, but one that I've always wanted to use) as to why Ford hasn't fixed it. Whether it simply entails using a harder metal or what, I dunno. One thing's for sure..this ISN'T the first car/truck with 400hp/tq, and a manual trans. It's not that they don't know how to fix it. It's that so far at least, they've decided that the more cost effective avenue is to simply deal with it on a case by case basis. GM tried that on the first generation of injectors on the Duramax engine, and now 10 years later, they're still having to pay to have 'em fixed. They had to extend the warranty on them to 200,000 miles, no matter how many times they go tits up on any particular vehicle. For them however, they would've had to change out the location where the injectors go into the heads-which they did on the 2nd generation Duramax. A lot more expensive than BUILDING YOUR TRANSMISSIONS SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN CHINA:bigthumbsup. IMO, it's a metallurgical problem with these trans'. Nothing more, nothing less. Of course I'm not a metallurgist either...
well,

problem solved.. guess this thread is over..

beers

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
:worship internet forum expert :worship

F

·
0 Posts
At some point, allowing morons to work on your car carries its own risks. Perhaps taking it to another dealer, while simultaneously messaging Deysha to "escalate" the problem would work better for you.
Thanks 88penguins! I agree fastkevin, message me with your dealer, VIN, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha

·
Registered
734 Posts
Flummoxed is a good word.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:worship internet forum expert :worship
Hey Mensa..
'IMO' means 'In My Opinion'. It's an Acronym. Look up the term in the dictionary.
Sounds like you don't like people to have a different opinion than your own, in which case I can only say> this bud, is for you:weeps

1 - 19 of 19 Posts