Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my 2012 3.7 is starting to make this grinding/metallic noise when i start it. it doesn't last long, maybe a second or two max and it doesn't do it consistently.

any ideas of what it is? i want to bring it in but i don't want to waste my time since it doesn't do it consistently and ford will just say "could not reproduce issue". i know that ford usually doesn't listen to videos as evidence for diagnosis but I'm starting to take a video every time i start my car

it sounds similar to this but more metallic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2HaZwPGJuM

·
Administrator
13,250 Posts
Could be the starter drive, or the flex plate. You should be still under warranty. Don`t worry, it will get worse & Ford will hear it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had a broken tooth on my Flywheel and the starter was catching it, making a BAD noise... long story short.. FORD put in a new flywheel and starter @ 25,000 miles.

·
Official Ford Rep
56 Posts
so my 2012 3.7 is starting to make this grinding/metallic noise when i start it. it doesn't last long, maybe a second or two max and it doesn't do it consistently.

any ideas of what it is?...
I'd like to assist, MuffinMan91. Please send me a private message with your full name, updated odometer reading, best daytime contact number, VIN, and dealership information. I'll look into available options.

Brittany

·
Registered
127 Posts
Any chance your AC was on? Mine did it once - this week ironically. I had left the AC on - which I never do - just wondering if it was the compressor kicking on right after startup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts