Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so once my transmission gets hot....30-40 mins of driving in stop and go traffic in the summer heat it grinds when i shift into 4th fast... but if i pause after i pull it outta 3rd for about a second then slide it in it goes it without grinding but if i shift it normal speed it will go in but grind when it goes in....anybody know what causes this? if i go leave the house right now and drive i can shift into fourth just fine...its only when it gets hot..like when u can feel the heat from the tranny through the shifter boot and the sides of the console... i have a 3650 btw and the fluid is NOT low

·
Registered
134 Posts
I would say to shift s l o w for now until you figure out the problem. My tranny would get hot and I changed to an mgw shifter and switched fluid to royal purple synchromax. So far all has been good and hasn't been hot since.

I'm not saying fluid will solve all of your problems but it doesn't hurt to start there. Make sure you use 3.2 quarts. I'm thinking that mine had too much fluid before I changed.

·
Banned
950 Posts
so once my transmission gets hot....30-40 mins of driving in stop and go traffic in the summer heat it grinds when i shift into 4th fast... but if i pause after i pull it outta 3rd for about a second then slide it in it goes it without grinding but if i shift it normal speed it will go in but grind when it goes in....anybody know what causes this? if i go leave the house right now and drive i can shift into fourth just fine...its only when it gets hot..like when u can feel the heat from the tranny through the shifter boot and the sides of the console... i have a 3650 btw and the fluid is NOT low

are you sitting close enough to make sure your getting the pedal pushed in all the way? i know it sounds stupid, but sometimes its the little things.

also, can you tell me how you know its not low? also, do you know what fluid or how old the fluid is thats in it? have you adjusted the shifter at all or replaced it with another aftermarket one?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are you sitting close enough to make sure your getting the pedal pushed in all the way? i know it sounds stupid, but sometimes its the little things.

also, can you tell me how you know its not low? also, do you know what fluid or how old the fluid is thats in it? have you adjusted the shifter at all or replaced it with another aftermarket one?
because the ford dealership just changed it.....but i was thinking of getting a pro 5.0 but i didnt think it would help so now i guess ill get one and see.....my tranny has 146,000mi btw lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say to shift s l o w for now until you figure out the problem. My tranny would get hot and I changed to an mgw shifter and switched fluid to royal purple synchromax. So far all has been good and hasn't been hot since.

I'm not saying fluid will solve all of your problems but it doesn't hurt to start there. Make sure you use 3.2 quarts. I'm thinking that mine had too much fluid before I changed.
how do u change the fluid? i got under there and looked for the plug but i didnt see it but i couldnt crawl all the way under there either cause of my crappy hydraulic jack

·
Registered
134 Posts
how do u change the fluid? i got under there and looked for the plug but i didnt see it but i couldnt crawl all the way under there either cause of my crappy hydraulic jack
Make sure you set the parking break, put it in gear, use jack stands along with the jack and chock the wheels. Don't want to get under there with just a hydraulic jack, specially if it's crappy. The drain plug is on the passenger side of the transmission. Not hard to get to. I believe a 5/8" drive is needed for the plug, check that though before hand.

As much as I would like to think Ford used the right fluid and amount, I wouldn't trust them. If you do it yourself you know you have done it right (i hope). To fill, you just need the shifter out (the easiest way, and a good time to upgrade your shifter to an mgw :bigthumbsup) and fill from top.

·
Banned
950 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
How many miles on the transmission? Has it seen a lot of abuse?

Sounds to me like you have a bad syncronizer. If the fluid were low, you would notice a lot of heat around the tunnel area. Since you didn't mention that, I ruled it out.

An out of adjustment clutch and you would notice grinding/hard engagement in 1st gear before any other gear and since you didn't mention that, I ruled it out.

I am betting that the 4th gear side of the 3-4 syncro is worn and in need of replacing. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sounds to me like you have a bad syncronizer. If the fluid were low, you would notice a lot of heat around the tunnel area. Since you didn't mention that, I ruled it out.

An out of adjustment clutch and you would notice grinding/hard engagement in 1st gear before any other gear and since you didn't mention that, I ruled it out.

I am betting that the 4th gear side of the 3-4 syncro is worn and in need of replacing. :bigthumbsup
yeah thats what i was thinking and the previous owner drove it like he was running from the police all the time....didnt know it till after i bought it though

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make sure you set the parking break, put it in gear, use jack stands along with the jack and chock the wheels. Don't want to get under there with just a hydraulic jack, specially if it's crappy. The drain plug is on the passenger side of the transmission. Not hard to get to. I believe a 5/8" drive is needed for the plug, check that though before hand.

As much as I would like to think Ford used the right fluid and amount, I wouldn't trust them. If you do it yourself you know you have done it right (i hope). To fill, you just need the shifter out (the easiest way, and a good time to upgrade your shifter to an mgw :bigthumbsup) and fill from top.
ok thanks ill check it out when i change the oil and shifter next week. im gonna go with a pro 5.0 though lol heard bad stuff about mgw and tri-ax from a few people

·
Registered
134 Posts
no way... if you search the forums a bit you'll see that the consensus is that mgw is the top of the list. I haven't run with the others but having the mgw I couldn't imagine any being better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
soo do you get the solution....wht was the error....syncronizer or trnmsn oil
do let me know...i got they same problem ...zzz

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
cable probably out of adjustment and your not getting full engagment during high rpm shifting..

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

If there's too much play in the cable Richard it still could show up during high rpm shifting and not be bad during normal cruising in the lower gears..

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was about to create a post along the same lines.

My clutch has just recently began to have some loose play in the first 1/2". Also, I variably feel slight grinding when switching gears.
I changed my fluid about 1000miles ago with Mobil1 tranny fluid.

The car has just reached 50K and I have an MGW shifter.
What would you suggest looking in to in order to fix the problems?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Cable adjustment jonny, try pulling up the clutch pedal with both hands to engage a higher tooth on the self adjuster!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.