Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Yes indeed it is a blast . . . I go to Thompson Speedway road course (Thompson, Connecticut) most often; main straight is around 115 MPH . . . car is solid as a rock at that speed and still accelerating strong, but turn #1 comes up quick. Getting my car out on a track was a "bucket list" item for me; but then I discovered, track days are like Lays potato chips; nobody can have just one. If you want to try it, check out tracknightinamerica.com ; probably the easiest way to get on track, assuming they run events at a track near you. But be forewarned, it is highly addictive, and gets expensive like any good addiction.

I ordered the calipers from American Muscle, mainly for convenience, plus the web site said I would have them on Saturday . . . when I didn't receive a shipping update yesterday, I wondered what was up, called American Muscle . . . they shipped this morning, and will be here on Sunday, supposedly. I do understand that reality, not the end of the world, but I'm disappointed that their web site lied, and I told them so on the phone.

~ John B.
Very cool Mr. B. All that I’ve ever done is the 1/8 mile drags. It’s ok, but mine isn’t really setup up for it.
Do you see very many wrecks? That’s my biggest fear I guess. Smashing up the ole gal.

Very cool Mr. B. All that I’ve ever done is the 1/8 mile drags. It’s ok, but mine isn’t really setup up for it.
Do you see very many wrecks? That’s my biggest fear I guess. Smashing up the ole gal.
One more thing. Is the torsion diff the cat’s meow? I almost got when I was replacing mine.

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Gladly, not many wrecks in track days. I have spun a couple times but luckily didn't hit anything; only thing hurt was my pride. The passing is well controlled, to prevent car-to-car contact; and it is not a race. I have seen a few do substantial damage though; one of the most painful to see was a near-new Porsche 911 that hit a barrier, then got even more damage when the tow-truck guy hit more stuff with it, on the way back to the paddock. But it is a risk for sure, you have to accept the possibility, and you can buy track insurance for about $200/event . . . but that doubles the cost.

I haven't tried the new Torsen diff yet; but they say it is the hot set-up for road track. It allows the wheels to track correctly around corners under power; and can transfer a lot more torque to the inside wheel in a tight corner, which is important (otherwise the inside wheel spins like crazy). But I guess they are not the best for straight-line drag-strip abuse; for that the regular LSD is supposed to be "better." (everything is better with LSD, LOL ;) )

·
Registered
286 Posts
One more thing. Is the torsion diff the cat’s meow? I almost got when I was replacing mine.
I haven't tried the new Torsen diff yet; but they say it is the hot set-up for road track. It allows the wheels to track correctly around corners under power; and can transfer a lot more torque to the inside wheel in a tight corner, which is important (otherwise the inside wheel spins like crazy). But I guess they are not the best for straight-line drag-strip abuse; for that the regular LSD is supposed to be "better." (everything is better with LSD, LOL ;) )
Torsen and Eaton Truetrac are the "cat's meow" for low-maintenance, road track course usage.

The stock LSD with clutch pack discs has an advantage in that if a rear wheel completely looses traction, the other wheel will still get some traction. This is usually an off-road desired trait; road course, not so much. But that's where the LSD shines for drag-strip, but hard-core dragstrip will go to a locker or spool anyhow. The main reason Torsen isn't recommended for drag use is the harsh stresses from the initial acceleration bite from the drag strip launch can destroy the gearing in Torsen diffs. Some say the Truetrac is more robust for drag race, but I don't know since I do not build nor focus on drag strip usage. The LSD has the drawback on the track in that it will tend to push through a corner rather than rotate like a Torsen or Truetrac gear differential works.

Reactions: 90lxwhite and JBert

·
Registered
10,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
quick update: the nasty groaning sound is gone, and so is the track pad squeal, since I installed new Carbotech street pads all around

But, the new calipers from American Muscle still have not arrived . . . good thing the car drives fine with the old ones. I guess I didn't really need new calipers, I could have repaired the boot/seal on the one that was torn . . . but I do still like the idea of bright shiny new calipers, to replace the old rusty ugly ones.

Reactions: SVT Rider
21 - 24 of 24 Posts