Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't explain my feelings now but a mix of sadness, anger, and guilt. Over Thanksgiving weekend, I allowed my mom (still love her) to drive my Pony. She's never driven one before so I let her take mine for a spin. Well, our driveway (or stretch of road leading to the house) has odd dips and bumps that I usually take very slow and at angles. Since I wasn't with her and she's used to driving SUVs, she barrelled down the road. Well I guess she bottomed out my Pony and didn't tell me. She commented that my Pony is "Pretty low to the ground." Well, after having my dealer replace my gas tank (because of the check valve problem) he told me they noticed my cats, y-pipe, and frame had scratches on them. :sosad: I didn't even know what to think. I was shocked to say the least. Never gonna let her drive my Pony ever again.

My question to you all is: Is it bad for the frame to have scratches on them? Does that make it vulnerable to rusting, and if so, what can I do?

Since I'm thinking of replacing my exhaust anyways, most of the other scratched stuff will be removed except for the cats which I found were 1300!!! Don't think I'd replace them.

So, so sad and mad.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Lesson learned just like me...Keep the moms out of the Stang!!! Mine parked Sylvia on a downsloped hill and "set the e-brake" and got out and it took off down the hill and well.... lets just say thats now why I am getting the Roush Fascia put on tomorrow
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
06GTee said:
I can't explain my feelings now but a mix of sadness, anger, and guilt. Over Thanksgiving weekend, I allowed my mom (still love her) to drive my Pony. She's never driven one before so I let her take mine for a spin. Well, our driveway (or stretch of road leading to the house) has odd dips and bumps that I usually take very slow and at angles. Since I wasn't with her and she's used to driving SUVs, she barrelled down the road. Well I guess she bottomed out my Pony and didn't tell me. She commented that my Pony is "Pretty low to the ground." Well, after having my dealer replace my gas tank (because of the check valve problem) he told me they noticed my cats, y-pipe, and frame had scratches on them. :sosad: I didn't even know what to think. I was shocked to say the least. Never gonna let her drive my Pony ever again.

My question to you all is: Is it bad for the frame to have scratches on them? Does that make it vulnerable to rusting, and if so, what can I do?

Since I'm thinking of replacing my exhaust anyways, most of the other scratched stuff will be removed except for the cats which I found were 1300!!! Don't think I'd replace them.

So, so sad and mad.....
You shouldn't be mad at her, she didn't do that on purpose (I guess), an honest mistake can happen. Plus, if you knew that your driveway is a bit tricky (I know what you mean, my driveway is super steep and at the bottom I gotta get out inch by inch: veeeeery slow...) for your Stang, why didn't you tell your mother to drive extra slow? I am sure she would have taken care of your beloved car in a better way...
When my wife wanted to try my GT, I brought her to a big and empty parking lot... Better be safe than sorry... Eheheh
All in all, it's only a little problem, nobody got hurt, the damage doesn't seem to be that bad...so cheer up, kid.
Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
I thought you had a GT by your name so you got a h-pipe and maybe I am thinkings of something else but cats for 1,300?? I got x-pipe and bassani comp cats for 600ish when they first came out. unless you were talking abotu something else??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,170 Posts
Reminds me one time my Dad tried to park my Mustang in his driveway which had a slight slope, he could not make it up and it was halfway in the street, he was a little rusty when it cam to manuals :laughlitt

As for your frame, it's solid steel, and few scratches are not going to hurt it.
It will out last the body :happyhapp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
Why do people insist they can drive SUV's like they have an iron grip on the road or something?:sterb: I mean common, is this why whenever it snows by me, the only cars flipped over on the side of the road are SUVs? Way to go:thumbup :winks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
tw0scoops123 said:
Why do people insist they can drive SUV's like they have an iron grip on the road or something?:sterb: I mean common, is this why whenever it snows by me, the only cars flipped over on the side of the road are SUVs? Way to go:thumbup :winks
Yes. It is. SUV's suck.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, thanks guys for helping me feel better. It's always best to talk about it than to hold it in.

2k5stang said:
I thought you had a GT by your name so you got a h-pipe and maybe I am thinkings of something else but cats for 1,300?? I got x-pipe and bassani comp cats for 600ish when they first came out. unless you were talking abotu something else??
See that's what I was thinking too on the h-pipe but when I went to go talk to my service advisor he said y-pipe. I corrected him but he told me that it was the y-pipe. That's when I stopped arguing with him and began to think there were other parts to the exhaust I didn't know about. I dunno about these guys anymore. They seem to not know anything about cars anymore... I thought you had to be a seasoned technician to move up to service advisor but I may be wrong. As for the cats, I could only find OEM cats for 1300 from a ford auto parts site. I couldn't find aftermarket. I'll try searching bassani's site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
I don't know where you guys live but if your keeping your cats for emission purposes forget it. In Illinois if your car is a 93 or newer you don't need cats. Emissions hooks up your car to a computer in your dash not your tail pipe. I have an 02 GT and hopefully this summer i am going to slap on some headers and an x-pipe and ditch the cats.

Hope that helps

oh and sorry about the car
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,560 Posts
What the hell kind of road was she on? I drive my kid to a paintball place that has an awful road, but never have I bottomed out like you describe. Maybe that damage was there beforehand.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top