Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm going racing in a few hours looking for 13's

i got my bama tune my helmet and a little more knowledge on launching the car thanks to you guys

wish me luck

·
Registered
535 Posts
I was thinking of heading up. I just got an '01 vert and I'm wondering if the thing will break into the 14's. Thing is dead stock with street tires.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wuldnt run on street tires, i did it b4 its like trying to pull out fast on ice

i had way better traction on the street then the track wen i was on street tires

nice 2 see theres ppl from my area on here though

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I was thinking of heading up. I just got an '01 vert and I'm wondering if the thing will break into the 14's. Thing is dead stock with street tires.
Kaz you need to change your profile picture so your not reminded of your old car. You don't think a dead stock vert will male it into the 14's? Hell.......I think my fwd 3.5 5 speed Altima can make it.:hihi:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
It'll run 14.3-14.5 typically.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Reese, I changed my avatar just for you. :wavey

Made 9 runs ranging from a slow of [email protected] to a quick of [email protected] ET varied due to differnet staging locations and launch rpm. I was adjusting to for the tree. Best setup was to deep stage and foot brake to 1400rpm. This gave me a .050, .030, and .020 lights, 2.40 60' and 15.2x ET's. I really need to launch the car at a higher rpm like 1600-1700 but anythng higher than 1400 started the tires spinning and pushed the car thru the beams. A set of Hawk rear brake pads and drag radials (from the '07) should allow me the needed higher launch.

For the bracket racers here the 2 15.50 runs were me spot dropping on the top end. This car can quickly and easily scrub a ton of ET. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
918 Posts
I figured you'd get the car into the 14's. My son has an '00 GT that's dead stock except for a cat back and he ran a best of 14.9 @ 96 on street tires. His is a stick and he had a lot of wheel spin. He's also a total noob to racing so there is a lot of room for improvement. Of course your 'vert is probably a good bit heavier than his car.

I know you don't really care about how fast the car is anyways. You just want to cut a light and run a consistent time. Damn bracket racers! :grinroll:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mike, I figured it would be a low 15 second car per my butt-o-meter. Pretty close to the 95 firebird vert that I ran a few years back.

The car ET'ed in a window of a little more that a tenth. A bit to much and leaves only the dial very easy and drive the stripe very hard method of bracket racing. I think the trans was inconstant in the 2-3 shift. At times it felt to take forever. 64k miles and the trans fluid looks original. I'm on the fense about doing a tranny filter and flush. Old school ... times it's better to leave the old fluid laced with clutch parts than to put brand new stuff and completly wear out the clutch packs.

As far as setting a car up to bracket race you are correct that I don't care about 60' or ET. The driver always hits the same spot on the tree and adjusts the car. Once set up to cut .000-.020 lights that is the 60' and ET I'm happy with. If the numbers happen to end up 2.40 60' and 15.40 ET that's ok. Those are the numbers that I need to repete again and again to be successful in the brackets.

I forgot to put the car on the scales. Duah. Anyway I plan to give the car to my wife as a surprise. I'm adding an 80lb trailer hitch next week so she can tow her toys to the beach. I don't think this car will be seeing any more track time. The lady doesn't ask much of me but one of her few requests is for me not to race her stuff. I can certinally honor that one. Technically the car isn't her's yet lol.

I totally confused the kid racing next to me when I did the drop spot. "You were pulling away from me and suddenly I shot past right at the end". Dear in headlight look when I told him that I let off. I guess he is telling his friends today that he beat an old guy because he got confused and let off before he got to the finish line.

Ah kids :laughlitt

1 - 11 of 11 Posts