Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the work has started on my 1967 mustang fastback GT 390.
We just got the engine out this week and got some floor work done.
I would like some advice on what could I do to add some HP to this engine
without going crazy on the budget. I also don't want take away from the original look of the car and the setup. Some have said a cam, others boring out the engine a little.
What do you guys recommend and has anyone done a rebuild on a 390?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
If you haven't already, I would sure get the "How ro Rebuild a BBF" by Steve Chirst. Filled with good info. Motor might need a bore anyway. Cam, heads and intake are fine. Upgrade to the cast iron CJ exhaust manifolds. I had a great FE forum bookmarked but don't see it anymore. Lots of older guys with years and years of experience. Have fun and enjoy!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave! I will check that out, I think the engine has already been bored out about 15-20 years ago. We are going to find out this week how much of a bore and if too much, I guess sleeves will be needed. As far as manifolds, I might port the ones that are original to the car. I will do my best not to change to many parts. Who knows, one day if ever hopefully never I might need to sale the fastback, I want to maintain to value of my car. I don't want to molest her to much.

Thanks again for the advice:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
You could do the CJ manifolds and always swap back. They are Ford parts, just got to flow better. Think this is that FE forum I was thinking of.
332-428 Ford FE Engine Forum

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts