Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 mercury capri and I put a 5.0 out of an 01 explorer with factory GT 40 heads , mine came factory with a 5.0 and when i used my headers 2 of the spark plugs are very close to the #6 and #8 ie burning the plug wires, ? is are there headers out there that i can change too and still use the exhaust i have now without to much fit issues :bigthumbsup

I got some fiberglass boots for now but it looks to be a temporary fix , I even tried heating up the header with a tourch and slightly bending it out of the way, I didnt want to go to much, and compermise the flow of the header

thanks for any help :smoke:

·
Banned
1,345 Posts

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
you have GT40P heads, not GT40's

headers known to work:
BBK shorty and Longtube w/90* plug wires
Mac shorty and Longtube w/90* plug wires
FRPP shorty

·
Registered
113 Posts
the spark plug angle is different on the heads and also different sized exhaust valves... GT40P heads flow slightly better than the gt40s

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
spark plug angle was revised for a more complete/effiecent burn according to ford..
combustion chamber is smaller on the P's = slightly higher compression
..P's also have a smaller exhaust valve than the regular gt40's, but still outflow them,probably due to unshrouding of the exhaust valve

doubt those headers would work..heres some that will work with 90* wires
For Sale BBK Shortie Headers & H-Pipe (79-93) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

check around the exhaust parts section on the corral..best forum classifieds on the net IMO

1 - 8 of 8 Posts