Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Gt 40 intakes came on 2000 Ford Mountaineers. A guy i know wants to sell me one and so i was wondering if it was really a gt 40 intake and if so will it help out any. Also did they come with 65mm tb's as well?

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
The 5.0 that was in it was a 215 hp engine, I believe the intake is the same as the Explorer but I'm sure Fox Chassis could tell if it is.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
It wasn't called a "GT-40" intake but the two are very similar.

The 5.0L engine was the V8 in Explorers from '96 through '01 and in Mountaineers from '97 through '01. From '96 through early'97 the heads were GT-40s. After that, GT-40Ps. The intakes had an internal EGR passage the same time GT-40 heads were used. After that, no internal EGR passage.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So does that mean i couldn't use them. He said it was a Gt 40p intake or somethin like that.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
Yes you could, unless you're going to be sniffed at your inspection.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Why would the sniff test make a difference? Because of the EGR delete?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats the sniff test?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Inspection emissions test is the sniff test.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
O we don't think we have emissions here.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
"Emissions" can be inspected two ways.

1) A visual inspection to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be and functioning. If anything is missing, tampered with, disabled, etc., you fail.

2) A sensor is stuck in the tailpipe and the exhaust is tested for NOx, and or HC, and or CO.

Option one is usually part of the "safety inspection" and is done even IF your local municipality doesn't have a "tailpipe test". Here in NC, there is no tailpipe test for vehicles older than the '96 model year but ALL cars younger than 35-years-old get a safety inspection, which includes a visual inspection of the emissions system.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.