Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best value? I have been reading all the comments and am more confused than ever. I am looking to get an 08 500, or an 09 GT. From what I'm reading, it will take about 5K to get the GT close to a 500.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What is the difference in price between the 2? Pimpin out a GT with a supercharger? Might want to see what that will do to the warranty. If you can afford it I would go with the 500

·
Registered
43 Posts
They are two totaly different animals a Mustang GT will take a bit more then $5000. to get it up to 500hp the Supercharger and tune would eat that up quick.
The GT500 if you have the money would be a much better buy if you can get it for a good price because by the time you get a GT close to a GT500 in performance and interior/exterior upgrades the cost would be about the same

·
Registered
221 Posts
But tricking out a GT would allow you to build it to your own specifications - pick out the mufflers and rims you like best, skip out on some of the factory Shelby trim/accessories you might not like, install a turbo instead of supercharger if you so desire, choose a cam grind that better fits your purpose, etc.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I had a similar debate when i had a V6 if i wanted to do work/have work done to is. After a fairly close estimate in parts and a pretty rough estimate in labor on what needed it i was looking @ 10grand. (i forget to what extent this money went into) i got my GT for 8 grand after trade in. (I hunted it thankfully it wasn't more then a 45 minute drive and got exactly what i wanted)

the money i saved to trade in is also 1. less of a headache after swapping parts and worrying if it was installed properly and 2. is a higherbaseline so if i do add parts its THAT much higher.

I'm not sure if you already have 2 specific cars in mind that your trying to compare or not but i would see what the difference in price is. Then decide if you want all out power then i'd say go with the Shelby its a much higher baseline for when you start adding more parts.

Also yea, 5 grand is for the supercharger and i'm not 100% sure on what comes with it. I've read(glanced) that some people have torubles with them and change out other parts (Fuel pump) and things you wouldn't normally think of. But there are also plenty of other parts to consider that could easily get you to the 10 grand mark i'm sure. (Gears, Tuner, depends which SC you go with they can go up to 6k?, exhaust system from headers to mufflers, Tires so you can use this power, Cams and so forth) Then with all those parts you more then likly going to run into a problem if it be engine or getting it to pass inspection.

The shelby will come with a warranty (hopefully) and should have been taken care of that nothing should break down randomly on highway be that a louver flies off into someones windshield or your hood pops off and you suddenly have a convertible.

Short version: get the shelby.

·
Registered
286 Posts
just go get a h302 supercharrged :bigthumbsup

lol, jk

of the two, i would say shelby, as it seems the rest of the members are. it is a much higher baseline to start from, and between tunes, F/I supporting mods, your GT will have about 10k into it. and there is still a chance of headaches.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm looking at a 2008 GT 500 for 35K, or a 09 GT for 27K. From what you guys are saying, it sounds like I will buy the 500. Thanks.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I'm looking at a 2008 GT 500 for 35K, or a 09 GT for 27K. From what you guys are saying, it sounds like I will buy the 500. Thanks.
a new 09 for 27k? Is it a basic GT or a premium GT? Leather seats(heated) upgraded stereo, and some smaller things might be missing on the basic GT (options do vary) The shelby should have most all of those upgrade features if thats something you look into when buying a car. (More of a reason to go with a shelby)

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
They are two totaly different animals a Mustang GT will take a bit more then $5000. to get it up to 500hp the Supercharger and tune would eat that up quick.
The GT500 if you have the money would be a much better buy if you can get it for a good price because by the time you get a GT close to a GT500 in performance and interior/exterior upgrades the cost would be about the same

Maybe if you had alot of exterior addons. I like my car plain. Im removing the wing and have only a few appearance mods.
But to get GT500 performance it can be done for less money.
2005 Mustang GT 10,000 miles $20,000
Saleen blower and gauges installed $7100
Other parts(clutch, shifter, louvers etc) $3000
Total $30,000
I have only saw one GT500 for near that money and it had 70,000 miles on it.
But the GT500 is the better potential deal since my engine is at its limits with 400+rwhp and the GT500 can make 700rwhp with ease on its internals.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Maybe if you had alot of exterior addons. I like my car plain. Im removing the wing and have only a few appearance mods.
But to get GT500 performance it can be done for less money.
2005 Mustang GT 10,000 miles $20,000
Saleen blower and gauges installed $7100
Other parts(clutch, shifter, louvers etc) $3000
Total $30,000
I have only saw one GT500 for near that money and it had 70,000 miles on it.
But the GT500 is the better potential deal since my engine is at its limits with 400+rwhp and the GT500 can make 700rwhp with ease on its internals.
Very good point that was slightly overlooked. If you do but a GT and doing work to it skip the warranty if your getting from dealership as it will be QUICKLY voided.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well the most unique, and best thing about the GT500, over all other mustangs is the engine swap. It carries the 5.4L monster that can handle 1000hp on the stock parts. I got the GT500 because all the other mustang packs out there use the 4.6L. Go for the GT500.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i dont know about you but i got my GT for 18k , but if u cant find anything cheaper then 27k id just get the gt500 for 35. make it easy on yourself. get the power now. its easy to finance.

·
Registered
766 Posts
A supercharged GT with a stock block is at the end of its capability. You need to build a forged short block to get a safe long lasting high HP motor. The GT will never have the capability of the 5.4 and you get the 6 speed also. If you have the money I would go with the 500.

·
Registered
251 Posts
any 4.6 engine cant get 500 HP.. well u can if you want to blow your engine... 500 hp is really pushing the envelope with those engines. I had a shelby GT b4 I got my GT500 and I wanted it to be in the 500 600 hp range.. well I had to spend alot more than 5k try close to 20k... 1st a good s/c cost 5-7k then if your satisfied with 450HP then you can stop there but to match up with the gt500 then your gonna have to either change the stock block or/and forge the internals/buy a short block. short block is about 4k not including work.. then after that your looking at a whole new overhaul.. the tranny cant hold the hp so ull have to change that out.. then the clutch, driveshaft, fuel pump, flywheel, ect.. theres alot that youll have to do to make sure the car can hold the hp. Now if you want to go that route let me know bcuz I totalled the shelby gt a week b4 I was supose to put all of that in there so im stuck with the parts untill sum1 buys em from me or i save up for another 4.6

·
Registered
10 Posts
It seems the sky is the limit with the GT500. With mostly bolt on parts you can get close to 700 hp to the ground, unbelieveable amount of torque and still have a very streetable ride. I've done alot of mods to mine, suspension, wheels, tires, supercharger and the list goes on. No matter what you do you will always be looking to make more power, its the nature of the beast. Why settle when you have the option to buy a GT500.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I say getting the GT500 is a no-brainer. :bigthumbsup

My buddy has an 07 GT500, and he's looking to do some power upgrades. We went to our local dyno shop yesterday. They showed us a dyno sheet with the stock rwhp numbers and then 3 more pulls with added upgrades for each pull. Bone stock the car put down about 423hp to the tires. By the 4th pull, the car was up to 588 rwhp! With an estimated 15% drivetrain loss, that's about 692 crank hp. This was achieved with a CAI, custom tune, upper & lower pulley change, and something else that eliminates belt slippage (I forgot what it's called). Not bad for around $1400 in parts & labor IMO.

I did mine the hard way, but I'm happy with the result. I've been modding my GT for 3.5 years since it was new. I don't have the 6-speed, big brakes, GT500 gauges, GT500 front seats, or the 5.4L motor.....but I do have 472 rwhp & 439 rwtq in a lighter car than the GT500.

Modding my car is clearly an addiction, but it's been fun seeing the car go through several stages of upgrades and changes in appearance. The Kenne Bell SC & GT500 body conversion totaled about $12.5k, and I have a lot more money in other upgrades. If I had it to do over again, I would start with a GT500 convertible. Since my car is a 2006 model, I didn't even have the choice of getting a GT500 at the time of purchase in March of 2006.

Now that I think about it, I probably have about as much invested in this car as many people paid for their stock GT500 convertibles. But I also have a unique high-performance car that I customized to my liking! :gringreen No regrets!

2 months old with new 18" wheel & tires

next stage

interior

+170 rwhp with Kenne Bell 2.6L @ 10psi & GT500 dual fuel pumps

final stage (well, at least close to final)

·
Registered
344 Posts
If you haven't already purchased your car of choice, I have an '06 (same body style) S/C'd Saleen that has 46k miles and a built bottem end with well over 500RWHP for $22,000.
Best of luck on your search bro! :shiny:

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know if you've bought your car of choice already, but if you haven't definitely do more looking around then you've already done.

I got my 05 GT Twin Turbo from a guy who builds and sells mustangs. I got it for 26k. Now I got a steal for 26k. Custom twin turbo setup, 2 inch lowering kit, bassani axle back exhaust, treadstone front mount intercooler, gt500 fuel system and injectors, 20" staggered Axis GTR rims, etc, etc.

I have since rebuilt the motor with forged racing internals, upgraded the throttle body, had it re-tuned. I'm puttin down nearly 600hp at the wheels. I'm at the end of my injectors. So right now I'm waiting to upgrade the intercooler, injectors, and cams. Then I'm hoping to put down 700-750hp+ at the wheels.

Now obviously a 05 GT is going to be much cheaper than an 09, but mine is in mint condition with only 26k miles at the time of purchase.

Do your research, think about what you want to do with the car in the future. Make a decision and don't regret it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.