Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is very subjective, but for those who have actually heard both of these in person, what is the sound difference? I think it's near impossible to guage how they compare when videos are played back from the internet and were recorded with different equipment and in different environments. I'm looking for muscle car tone without rasp or drone.

:worship Anyone?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have heard both in person and I went with the Roush. I have no drone and it sounds great at idle and just cruising around. When you open her up they scream!!! I personally dont think they are raspy but some in this forum disagree. If you want a quiter muscle car sound go with the 500s, but if you want it to roar then the Roush is for you.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I started with the Roush and went to the GT500 because I did not want to sound like I was racing when driving normally.

On the track I wish I had the Roush mufflers back as they really did sound sweet....in their proper place. They burble and pop and sound sweet.

My car is mostly a daily driver, so the GT500s worked the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just changed out my stock axle-backs on my 2011 GT 5.0 and went with the GT500 stock mufflers and they sound great. Just enough rumble and no drone!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the OP and was just getting ready to start a thread just like his . Can't decide which one I want . I want something with more muscle sound than the stock mufflers .
Keep the answers coming .

·
Registered
588 Posts
Roush AB's all the way. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Gt axle back vrs. GT 500

We could discuss this till Hell freezes over. I have tried three systems on my car Stock,Magnaflow, and GT 500,and for my money the best is the GT 500 axle back mufflers. They fit ,they work, there is absolutely NO DRONE, and when they break in you get a great bark between shifts and when you downshift they rap down just like the old " Smitty" glasspacks of the 60's. Not too loud but great sound. I hang out with the mechanics at my dealership and everyone of them has said your car really sounds great ,not too loud but really powerful. (They should know). I hope this helps for the guys sitting on the fence.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Roush...FTW !

Easy to install
No drone while driving Hwy
Sounds like a mustang should
Half the weight from stock

I almost got a 2011 GT500 and drove 3 of them but everytime I started one up I asked myself "how much better this would sound with more aggressive exhaust ?"

·
Registered
526 Posts
Same boat as you, listened to too many videos and still was undecided.

Went Roush, it's loud and I love it, not sure that my neighboors love it though.

I don't think you can go wrong, you can easily sell either the Roush or GT500's at a small loss if you don't like them and get the other.

One thing I really didnt like was that stock at hwy speed the road noise was louder than engine/exhaust. The Roush is just a tiny bit louder than the road noise and it sounds so much better cruising down the hwy.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My dealer has a couple of new 5.0's on the lot with Roush AB's . I think this weekend I'm gonna cruise on down there and ask my old salesman to fire one up so I can here it . The dealership is charging 500 bucks on the window sticker for those .

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have roush axle backsa with off road x pipe and it is loud as hell. It was very raspy when they were new. Now it sounds better but its still very loud especially with the ghost cam idle. Anyways I still want the gt500 axle back because its not as loud and it sounds great.
I have videos if you want to hear it.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Went with the Roush as well. They sound awesome. I just keep the RPM's low and they are pretty quiet. Mash the gas and it's music to my ears. :gringreen

·
Registered
526 Posts
My dealer has a couple of new 5.0's on the lot with Roush AB's . I think this weekend I'm gonna cruise on down there and ask my old salesman to fire one up so I can here it . The dealership is charging 500 bucks on the window sticker for those .
That's not bad. You can get the mufflers ~$380 online, if you arent going to install them yourself, paying the dealer another $120 isnt bad, plus you wont have to wait for them to arrive, and wait while they are installed at a muffler shop.

You can put them on in hour with just a ratchet, extension and 13mm and 15mm sockets. You also need ramps or a jack and stands.

I did mine and enjoyed the work. However if i could have got them on the car from the dealer at that price I would have in a second. I'd have cost rolled into the loan and a window sticker to show the police that it came that way :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
120 bucks to install axle backs on this cars is alot lol.
if you live close to me ill do it for 80 bucks on my house lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
Was in the same boat.

Went with Roush square tips with the Roush rear valance and LOVE them.

Yes they're a bit loud, but sound INCREDIBLE. Just pure muscle car. Deep and burbly at low speeds and the just ROAR when opened up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
its a matter of personal taste and what you want. I had narrowed it down to Roush and GT500 for myself with only internet sound clips and forum comments to go by. I purchased the GT500. Best auto mod purchase I've ever made. Couldn't be happier with the GT500's - perfect mix for my taste.

·
0 Posts
Just got done installing my GT 500's about an hour ago. It took about 1 1/2 hours to install them.
Parts: $245.40
Labor: $0.00
Sound: Priceless!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was in the same boat when I finally got my car and wanted to change the stock exhaust. This question to me can't be answered by another person because everyone's personal preference differs.

I went and listened to several different exhausts to get an idea of the sound. I was able to drive cars with the GT500 and Roush axlebacks to get an idea of drone, which I found both of these to be very acceptable in car at highway speeds.

The Roush can be tamed by paying attention to how you accelerate but when under power it is not difficult at all to get it to talk to you.

I ended up going with the Roush simply because every time i listened to it, I couldn't help but smile and in the end that is what matters, get what makes "you" happy.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I have the GT500's and thought they were to quiet. After more miles on them, they have gotten a little louder. I had a friend drive my car this past weekend and the GT500's sound awesome when you can hear them with somebody else driving your car. I never knew they were that loud; because honestly you can't really hear how loud they are from inside the car.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts