Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had trouble searching the forums sorry just going to ask anyway. Has anyone successfuly installed a GT bumper on thier V6? How much trouble was it and how much of the front end did they have to mod or tear up?

·
Registered
68 Posts
i installed a rear end GT bumper and it was just as easy as taking off my old v6 bumper.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yep. Bolts right up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! Okay I had concerns because I've been told that people have had trouble with doing this by a friend. I didn't believe that, it seems like ford would make the clips and brackets standard.

·
Registered
786 Posts
AFAIK, the GT bumper bolts right on for front and back.

However, for the front, you will need a GT grill as well (or aftermarket). GT and V6 use different size grills.

And I've heard that you need to replace the front fender well liners when switching from V6 to GT front bumper, however I cannot confirm this, but someone else might be able to.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Confirmed. You will need the inner fenders, but you can run without it, the GT bumper cover is about 2" lower so you can only put in the top inner fender screw, not the two bottom ones.
The change took me almost an hour to do. So easy a caveman could do it.

The cover you buy will probably not come with the brackets for the marker lights so you will have to take them off of your 6 bumper. Instructions say to pop rivet them to your new bumper but you don't have to since they will stay in place when you put in the lights and the two mounting studs go through them so rivets are not needed. I just took a dremel tool and start grinding on them, they will get hot, melt the plastic and you pull them out to remove the brackets from your stock bumper.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
268 Posts
There's also a funky little piece of styrofoam in the center top part of the bumper under the the grill and cover. You will see it when you take off the V6 bumper cover. You don't want to use the one that's there. It's too tall for the GT bumper cover. The GT grill opening is about 1/4" taller. You can modify the one you have with a knife, leave it out, or do like I did and get the GT part from the dealer for about $7 if I remember correctly.
Definately not worth the trouble to hack it up to make it fit.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Mine bolted right on. Just had to put the markers in place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone I appreciate the feedback

·
Registered
310 Posts
OH! you have a different year than me. :shigrin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts