Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my worst fear happened today. The car stalled out and now I can't get it started again. It did that hesitation a couple of times while I was driving it and I was on my way back to the house to park it for the day and try to get some answers when it happened. I was pulling away from a stop sign at very light throttle and it sputtered and finally petered out and will not restart. It turns over, but it's not firing. I don't know if there's no spark or no gas. I'm assuming it's no spark for whatever reason because it has just under a half a tank of gas and ran just fine for the most part. It's sitting at the dealership right now because I don't have time to work on it and it's just too damn cold to do after dark.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Sorry 'bout your car; hope it's something simple - let us know.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it is, it just sucks that we don't have it and we can't just get a rental car to drive to and from work because we both work in places where DOD stickers are required to get in the gate

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Have you tried cleaning the MAF yet? Maybe it got dirty when you put the new CAI on.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't have anything to clean it with me, but I did pull it off and take a look. It didn't look dirty and there's no residue in the MAF or intake so I'm leaning away from the MAF being dirty. I just remembered, I tried to use my Predator to see if it had thrown any codes right before stalling out. For some reason the Predator couldn't even read the vehicle. Anyone ever had that happen before?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the problem has been found. It's not nearly as bad as I was thinking. What happened is when I placed the MAF in the fenderwell with the new CAI it stretched the harness and caused chafing of the wires against the fenderwell opening. This caused a short and that caused the 30 amp fuse on the ECU to blow. This explains the complete randomness of the jerking, not being able to restart the car and also why I couldn't get the Predator to link up with the computer. It's not being covered under warranty and I'm ok with that. The harness and fuse are being replaced and ECU reset which brings up another question...do I need to get my custom tune reinstalled or will it still be in the ECU?

Oh and by the way, thanks for the replies guys. It seems y'all were on the right track with it being the MAF causing the problem, it was an unusual issue causing the problem though. I don't think any of us would guess what it really was though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was going to mention double check the MAF. I had the same problem with mine when I supercharged it. The maf popped off the boot though, therefore flooding the engine with mega fuel and blowing nice thick black smoke out the pipes. God did that day suck, lol. She runs like a beaut now. MM MMM good. Glad to see you got er done. Sad to see a stang down, but it happens to the best of us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.