Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Does anyone know if a stock gt exhaust will fit on a V6 without major madifications??
Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
121 Posts
no modifications at all. just pop it right on! it sounds really good.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Would the tips hang below the bumper and not need the cutouts?

[deleted ad, pls. us PM or classifieds, tx! kj]

·
Registered
121 Posts
it's possible to bend the hangers to drop the muffler below the bumper. i had to lower my passenger side GT muffler to fit into the existing cutout with enough clearance. one of these days, i'll go duals.

i would take him up on that offer of $20 plus shipping. that's a great deal!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Kyle F said:
Would the tips hang below the bumper and not need the cutouts?

If you want, I have the stock Mufflers... if you want I will sale them to you for $20 and you pay shipping.
Kyle,

I am interested in this offer. I am willing to do it today. Please let me know.

blackhawk sold me on this on my rumble thread.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
new stang owner PM sent

·
Registered
78 Posts
blackhawk 9 said:
no modifications at all. just pop it right on! it sounds really good.
Should I get the Ford Racing/Borla cat back or get an inexpensive GT take-off?

Which one sounds deeper and louder?

Thanks

·
Registered
121 Posts
ssoss said:
Should I get the Ford Racing/Borla cat back or get an inexpensive GT take-off?

Which one sounds deeper and louder?

Thanks
well, i've tried a lot of aftermarkets so far, but i haven't heard the borla yet. none of them sounded as good as the GT takeoffs through the whole range of RPM's. the MAC sounds saweet at low RPM's, but gets a little too ricey up high. the GT takeoff has a great sound and totally improves the V6. it's also cheap. i'd go GT first and if you want more, then you won't be out much money, especially since there seems to be a high demand for them - look on ebay!

it's basically $200+ for the borla, or <$100 for TWO GT takeoffs with shipping. but sound is subjective...

·
Registered
121 Posts
the easiest place to find GT takeoffs is to use ebay. if you don't want to use ebay, then you'll have to contact GT owners on the forums, or have them contact you.

if you use ebay, do a search for 2005 mustang under the exhaust sub-category in the car section. look for a seller called cascotech. he has a constant supply of GT takeoffs that he gets from converted saleen mustangs. he sells other takeoff parts too. contact him or buy from his ebay store. they're reasonably priced.

once you get the mufflers, you won't need any other parts. the clamps come with them. also do a search on these forums for related topics. there's been a lot written about exhaust substitutes. ford skimped badly on the V6 exhaust and everybody's replacing them. it's constrictive and i think a hamster farts louder...

dual exhaust is a whole other animal. do a search on dual exhausts. there's a ton of write-ups on it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure?

Hey, let me get this straight.....i can buy the completegt takeoff exhaust and just bolt it right on to my v6. not just the mufflers i want the whole thing! :eyebulge:

·
Registered
121 Posts
do a search on the forum for dual exhaust. you should find what you need.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Soor but i needhelp

Hey guys im sorry but for some reason my search doesnt work....... so could someone please enlighten me as to if the complete exhaust will fit or not

·
Registered
121 Posts
the GT exhaust is a true dual setup - meaning that it has two pipes coming out of the engine with two catalytic converters, then piping into two exhausts.

the V6 exhaust has two pipes with two cats out of the engine leading into a y-pipe connector into a single exhaust.

so if you already have the piping from a GT, i think it would be easier to go true duals. i've read though that this isn't as beneficial for performance in the V6 engine because of loss of backpressure. i'm sure you'll get more opinions on this from people who've converted. most of the conversions i've read about do a y-pipe near the rear into two mufflers.

i don't think it's as simple as just "plugging it in" though.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
blackhawk 9 said:
the GT exhaust is a true dual setup - meaning that it has two pipes coming out of the engine with two catalytic converters, then piping into two exhausts.

the V6 exhaust has two pipes with two cats out of the engine leading into a y-pipe connector into a single exhaust.

so if you already have the piping from a GT, i think it would be easier to go true duals. i've read though that this isn't as beneficial for performance in the V6 engine because of loss of backpressure. i'm sure you'll get more opinions on this from people who've converted. most of the conversions i've read about do a y-pipe near the rear into two mufflers.

i don't think it's as simple as just "plugging it in" though.
for the 4.0L it's not that bad. You can always install reducers in the front end of the pipes. I don't know if there's an adapter required for the 05's.

you can cut two holes in the bumper, cut BOTH holes, so they look alike. You'll have to cut around the original hole, to eliminate the "bezel."

1 - 16 of 16 Posts