Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am getting a loud whine from the rear end: here are the parameters: must be going between 63 and 69 and foot must be on accelerator - when coasting at that speed the noise is not there; it is annoying and high pitched and real loud enough to notice; the car has 1200 miles on it and it may have always been there but it is too hard to hear with the top down but it has been so hot the top went up and bam: there it is;

Anyone else have this and if not guess it will go to the dealer. Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump; just wanted one more chance to see if any of you have this problem; thanks; maybe it is isolated on my car and if so i will fight the service dept on my own

·
Registered
80 Posts
Vic, seen your threads, here and at TMS.

Took "Oliver" for a drive, to see if I might noticed anything.

No whining from rear end. Third, fourth, and fifth gears at 65 mph (foot on it)- no issues.

Have it looked into.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Here's the TSB that addresses the rear axle whine.

I've read that a few people have had rear replacements to fix the problem also...although thats not what this TSB calls for.
Your car should have been built later than the date shown too..but they probably never fixed the factory problems.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I also have all of these TSB files if anyone needs one.

05-14-4
· WRENCH LIGHT ON WITH BOTH DTC P2106 AND P2135 - VEHICLES BUILT 11/29/2004 AND PRIOR

05-10-19
· INTERMITTENT CD PLAYER CONCERNS - AUDIO UNIT PROGRAMMABLE MODULE INSTALLATION (PMI) REQUIREMENTS

05-9-18
· DISCHARGED BATTERY - CHARGING SERVICE TIPS

05-9-14
· CONVERTIBLE TOP RAISE/LOWER INSTRUCTIONS

05-9-11
· FRONT SUSPENSION POPPING NOISE WHILE TURNING RIGHT OR LEFT - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 4/8/2005

05-9-3
· INTERIOR PLASTIC TRIM - PAINT-TO-MATCH AND REPAIR - INTERIOR SPRAY PAINT AND ADHESION PROMOTER USAGE INSTRUCTIONS

05-8-8
· GROWL/GRINDING NOISE IN 2ND OR 3RD GEAR DURING DECELERATION - TR3650 MANUAL TRANSMISSION - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 1/15/2005

05-8-6
· EXHAUST VIBRATION AT 850 RPM - 4.0L ENGINE AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

05-7-3
· AXLE WHINE - VEHICLES BUILT THROUGH 11/15/2004

05-6-15
· AIR BAG WARNING LAMP ON - DTC B1891 IN RESTRAINTS CONTROL MODULE OR LAMP FLASHES CODE 53 - VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE 10/02/2004

05-4-8
· FUEL FILL SLOW, OR DIFFICULT TO FILL

05-3-1
· MAF DIAGNOSTIC SERVICE TIP - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH EGR SYSTEM MODULE (ESM)

04-26-22
· MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ILLUMINATED WITH MULTIPLE DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODES (DTCS) P035X AND NO DRIVEABILITY SYMPTOMS - 4.6L 3V ENGINE

04-26-16
· WELD BONDING PROCEDURE

04-24-20
· LIMITED SLIP AXLE CHATTER, SHUDDER, BINDING SENSATION, OR VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS

04-24-14
· GENERAL PCM PROGRAMMING PROCEDURES

04-24-5
· REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER GRID/INTEGRAL ANTENNA DIAGNOSIS AND REPAIR - TERMINAL TAB REPAIR

04-16-1
· ENGINE MISFIRE OR ROUGH RUNNING - COIL ON PLUG (COP) IGNITION SYSTEMS - WDS COP KIT DIAGNOSTIC TIPS

04-14-7
· SERVICE WIRING HARNESS REPLACEMENT GUIDELINES - SERVICE TIPS

04-9-6
· BODY - PAINT - IRON PARTICLE REMOVAL - INDUSTRIAL FALLOUT - ACID RAIN NEUTRALIZATION

·
Registered
122 Posts
funny thing is that ford has been doing differentials for how long now, and it seems like the thing they cant get right ever.... like most 2000-2003 explorers and expiditions have to have the rear end clutchs replaced because of chattering.... ive done about 10 in the past couple of months.
but oh well.... its better than owning a bowtie.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the input; my car was built on june 8 so the above tsb doesn't technically apply to my car; however...some problems do slip thru the crack; it is amazing to see how many differences there are with the whine problem; some at specific speeds; some at all speeds; some with the accelerator on and some with it off. Just have to go and start the battle with the service dept; just scares me that they might make it worse LOL.

·
Registered
53 Posts
vicmeldrew said:
thanks for all the input; my car was built on june 8 so the above tsb doesn't technically apply to my car; however...some problems do slip thru the crack; it is amazing to see how many differences there are with the whine problem; some at specific speeds; some at all speeds; some with the accelerator on and some with it off. Just have to go and start the battle with the service dept; just scares me that they might make it worse LOL.
Now this is interesting. My GT with Auto tranny was built the same week as yours it might have been the same day actually. And with 1,100 miles on it, it is exhibiting the same whine you describe. Mine doesn't appear to be as loud as your but seems the same. With my foot off the gas at 60 there is NO whine. The moment I apply even the slightest amount of gas the whine begins. At first I thought it might be exhaust then I questioned if it had been there since day one but after reading your post, I think its new. I'm bringing the car in next month unless it gets louder. But I'd really be interested in your results at the dealer. Please post your results - thanks. hope you make out OK.

You might want to bring in the TSB with you - I find my dealer doesn't seem to read these.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts