Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey so i needed a complete rear end, i purchased this Ford Racing Mustang Rear End 8.8" 31-Spline Axles GT 2005-2014 with a torsen t2 diff(went with a torsen since im going to track it once in a while here at willow springs in ca), 3,73 gears also upgraded the arms to steeda, etc just have a couple questions, would i need to change the diff cover? also since its all new parts in the rear end would i need to change the fluids after a couple hundred miles and how often would they need to be changed. btw my car was a base gt and finally what do u guys think of the upgrades

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Well to be perfectly honest, that's the rear end that your car came with, excepting the Torsen.

If you track your car, it's a good idea to keep an eye on the diff fluid- most notably the fluid level. You want to make sure you have a good venting system/catch can set up that replace the little valve thing that comes with it. Spewing your diff fluid all over will make the rollers in your diff carrier bearings fail prematurely.

You don't need to change the cover.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My guess is if he plans to run the TORSEN he SHOULD change his cover to a aluminum heat finned unit to extract the extra heat the TORSEN generates. All factory Torsen equipped cars come with one.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Well to be perfectly honest, that's the rear end that your car came with, excepting the Torsen.

If you track your car, it's a good idea to keep an eye on the diff fluid- most notably the fluid level. You want to make sure you have a good venting system/catch can set up that replace the little valve thing that comes with it. Spewing your diff fluid all over will make the rollers in your diff carrier bearings fail prematurely.

You don't need to change the cover.
the OP is the guy that needed a whole new axle anyway. Wrecked his or something. As to the Diff cover. The one he bought with the package is the thin stamped steel. He probably should get the finned aluminum cover.

Took me longer than it should have to figure all that out just now tard.gif

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
hey so i needed a complete rear end, i purchased this Ford Racing Mustang Rear End 8.8" 31-Spline Axles GT 2005-2014 with a torsen t2 diff(went with a torsen since im going to track it once in a while here at willow springs in ca), 3,73 gears also upgraded the arms to steeda, etc just have a couple questions, would i need to change the diff cover?
That is not a complete assembly. From the looks of the ad, it's completely disassembled and does not come with a ring and pinion. Did you order the ring and pinion on the side?

The OE finned aluminum cover can be ordered from http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/repair-parts.php for about $60.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup i bought the ring and pinion separate

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Ah...damaged rear end...so yeeah you got the right thing.

Torsen should make less heat than a trak-lok. (Judging by my spurting axle experiences with trak lok vs. T2R) The plain diff cover is fine...it really is...the finned cover doo dads are great...but I don't think it's necessary. if you're really worried about diff fluid temps, run a cooler.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts