Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes/ rotors are getting near the end of their life.

I want to upgrade my stock V6 rotors to the GT rotors with the package offered
by American Muscle: Ford Racing Mustang V6 Front Rotor Upgrade Kit (05-10 V6) M-2300-D - Free Shipping!

But my 2006 V6 convertible only has 16" wheels. After reading through several posts,
it seems I should go ahead and get larger wheels.

AM has a great price on the 2007 Style GT500 18" wheels that I've always liked:
Black Machined 2007 Style GT500 Wheel & Sumitomo Tire Kit - 18x9.5 (05-13) - Free Shipping!
These are 28 lbs. each.

(May get the more classic looking Torque Thrusts:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/anthracitebullitt-18x9-0512-stan.html)
These are 27.4 lbs. each

I need advice from folks who've done this upgrade... Is there ANYTHING else needed?

I've read some people advise getting the Steering Stops #6R3Z-3932-CA.

Is this really necessary? I couldn't find them on AM's website.

ANYTHING else I should get while I'm at it?

I thought of getting caliper covers... but at >$200 I'd thought I'd hold on that for now.

Any input would be appreciated fellas...

THANKS!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello, I have a 2006 v6 and I wanted bigger rotors when I did my brakes and that is the exact package I bought from AM. The stock v6 rotors are 11.4" I believe and these gt rotors are 12.1". Of course when I bought my car, the previous owner already had 18" konig wheels on it so I was able to upgrade my rotors without buying new wheels. But yes to completely answer your question, you will need bigger wheels, and I'd say 18" is probably best. Since I had wheels already, I just purchased the rotors package and new hawk street pads from AM and that was it, I would keep your original bolts off the caliper and stuff cause if I remember correctly it didn't come with new bolts. And there isn't a huge increase in brake power but noticeable! Oh also the rotors upgrade came with new brackets though! Good luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello, I have a 2006 v6 and I wanted bigger rotors when I did my brakes and that is the exact package I bought from AM. The stock v6 rotors are 11.4" I believe and these gt rotors are 12.1". Of course when I bought my car, the previous owner already had 18" konig wheels on it so I was able to upgrade my rotors without buying new wheels. But yes to completely answer your question, you will need bigger wheels, and I'd say 18" is probably best. Since I had wheels already, I just purchased the rotors package and new hawk street pads from AM and that was it, I would keep your original bolts off the caliper and stuff cause if I remember correctly it didn't come with new bolts. And there isn't a huge increase in brake power but noticeable! Oh also the rotors upgrade came with new brackets though! Good luck!
Thanks! Do you know if the previous owner upgraded the steering stop (since V6's came with 16")?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I honestly have no information of the previous doing anything on the car... :( Ha I'm not even sure how well the maintenance was held up cause there is stuff that I have had to start replacing now. I would research around or hopefully someone else can answer this forum about the steering stop so you will know.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
ive done this swap a while back. you have to have at least the 17" wheels to run the gt rotors. its a great upgrade though. i put 17" aftermarket wheels from discount tire on. might as well at least get some new frt pads, you only change the rotors and brackets so you`ll be all set with pads if the time comes :bigthumbsup also, if you can find just the brackets, you could go with other rotors than the oem ones. i bought that kit myself, but then shortly after replaced the rotors anyway

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update:

The wheels/ tires arrived from American Muscle (as promised!) and they look great!

I didn't have the time to try & do the installation myself, so a good shop down the road from me got it done. They found the tie-rod ends had too much 'play' and were due for replacement, so the steering stops (or 'restrictor') will be installed at the same time (tomorrow).

Already drove home with new brakes... heehee, a firmer response is how I can describe it best. Will open her up on the hwy once tie-rod ends, steering stops & alignment done & try to describe it!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 18" x 9" Torque Thrusts from AM are in and look awesome! The Sumitomos have good grip and aren't loud on the hwy.

The GT rotors & Hawk ceramics are great... in slow braking not much difference but in hard braking they definitely have more bite! And NO SQUEAK!

Since my inner tie-rod ends were getting replaced anyway, I had the steering stops (Ford calls them restricters) popped in for the 16" (x7") to 18" (x9")... no rubbing at all.

So far, I can report this is a BANGIN' setup! Combined with the Koni shocks, Eibach swaybars & Stack Racing strut tower brace... my baby is PLANTED and COMPETENT in the city or the open road. She may not be a track star (she's a convertible after all), but she gets it done in & around town!

Far & away an excellent daily driver setup for a V6 convertible!

Will post pics soon.

PS- anybody need some 16" wheels with good rubber still on 'em? LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts