Ford Mustang Forum banner

GT Takeoff Exhaust Question

791 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  yellstang05 
#1 ·
Quick question about having a GT takeoff here. I was browsing Craigslist and found this: MUFFLERS Ford Mustang OGM 2007
If I were to just buy one muffler and swap it out would that give me an exhaust that sounds similar to a GT? (or at least a noticeable upgrade from the stock exhaust) Also is there anything specific I need to check on the muffler condition wise before I buy it?

#4 ·
I put a single (right-side) GT muffler on my '05.
Less backpressure, sounds deeper than the relatively silent stock V6 muffler.
It's still NOT a V8 in sound, but it works for me.
Including tools I bought, I did the whole thing for $85 myself.
Best $85 I ever spent.

Read up enough on the duals question, decided the expense just wasn't worth what would probably be a negligible change ( for me ).
Listened to youtube clips, the rice-burner sound isn't my style.
Probably some others will disagree, that's fine.

#5 ·
Looks like the one on the craigslist ad is in ok condition. Problem is that it looks like they cut off part of the inlet portion of the muffler pipe where you would simply just unbolt and remove the pipe. Also, they seem to have cut off some hangers. If you are willing to get a shop to weld it back on, $25 for the set is not horrible considering you might pay $50 or more to get it installed and welded (I paid $50 in labor to weld a cutout on a truck). I would only offer them $10 if I were you.

I have the GT muffler on one side also. It sounds better. But nothing like a V8 engine. You will only get that sound by having a V8. You can get close with other exhaust setups. Look around on Youtube exhaust videos and you will get a good idea of what it will sound like.

Another option: go find a new bolt-on muffler for the 05-09 v6 mustang. There are a ton out there for under $250. You can get a louder sound too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.