Ford Mustang Forum banner

GT Throttle body on V6??

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  z28th1s 
G
#1 ·
Nothing turned up in the first few pages of search results so maybe no one has tried this with the 3.7 yet.

Does anyone know if the GT throttle body bolts up to our manifold?

Also, this is interesting, the GT TB is cheaper than ours:

The V6 is $185 the GT is $160

#2 ·
Does anyone know if the GT throttle body bolts up to our manifold?
Might bolt on but they are larger diameter than even a ported 3.7 intakes inlet so it would not increase flow in anyway.

#4 ·
upgrade the suspension first...

#7 ·
IIRC, the GT TB is 80MM and the largest you get the opening on the stock intake manifold (with porting) is around 75-76MM.

As said above, Solobusa did this on his car with a custom made adapter plate.

#8 ·
The inlet on the upper intake is 75mm. The BBK is 73mm. I already looked into this and consulted Lone Wolf Performance. It would not be worth porting out the extra 2mm on the BBK, and it would be a waste of time to install the GT TB. The BBK 73mm TB would be your best bet.

And I'm pretty sure that $180 V6 TB you're looking at is a factory. BBK is nearly $400. The GT TB would still be a cost savings over BBK and give you what you'd need, but then comes the question of adapter plate cost.

#9 ·
unless you can find a way to graft on the larger opening and find a way to gradually reduce the diameter to coincide with the current manifold opening you won't get any improvement if how ever slightly. I'd stick with the ported intakes and the BBK throttle body they are your best bet for a power increase and ease of tuning.

#10 ·
my buddy did it on his 11 it's not a tuning nightmare per him, along with the steeda cai though it did require him to upgrade to gt injectors to ad more fuel.
His car trapped 105+ on st tires and 93 oct in 2600+ft da.

#11 ·
Where is an experienced welder of plastics when you need one?

#14 ·
Yea, I wouldn't see any reason to need bigger injectors on our n/a motors.

I think the tb question has been answered already....

What Solobusa is doing is on such a different level from what most of us will do, kinda hard to compare his setup to others'.

#15 ·
What's the stock fuel rail pressure? Trying to calculate how far these stock (29lb @ Xpsi fuel pressure) injectors will go.

#16 ·
The only reason i have a GT throttle body is that i got a take off for a damn good deal. The adapter plate i got from Hector at CFM in a swap for my stock clutch and flywheel so they could sell a line of them for the V6 guys. It really is no different than the stock throttle body for tuning. Also i did not see any gains between the stock and GT units with my Procharger setup. Remember you can only flow as much air as the smallest diameter in a system.

As for stock fuel pressure it is set at 55psi. There is no way to change it in the stock system. There actually is not even a fuel pressure sensor in the stock fuel system. The computer is just set at 55psi. I run my setup at 65psi and it was a tuning issue learning that the hard way. Lol

The BBK unit is your best bet for maximizing diameter to increase flow in the intake track as it is the closest to the maximum diameter the intake can be ported to. The price is the only issue i have with the unit. I was able to work deals and get my TB and adapter plate for less than $150. That the only reason i did it. Well that and when we slap on a sheet metal intake itll match the TB port to flow more air.

#20 ·
So you can port a stock 3.7 TB? How much bigger can you get the diameter? Also how big is the stock one anyway?

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.