Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife dropped the bomb on my parade by saying she really likes the looks of the charger. I hope it is not her maternal instinct telling her that 4 doors are better than 2.

I will not buy a Dodge product, IMO they are not up to the same standards as Fords or Chevrolets, however, I am not a big bow tie fan either, I have just adopted one thru marriage, and I have to admit, it is easy to work on, they did do their homework in that regard.

My major contention with the Charger is that is bigger than the Mustang, yet actually weighs less, this translates to them not putting the "STUFF" or "GUTS" into the car. I know some would say that this lighter weight would be a good thing, but that is not necessarily true!

Just wanted to see what you all had to say, just to give me more ammo to ambush the wife's taste for the charger. (Not that it really matters, I will buy a mustang when the day is done!)

:tongue
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
Chargers are butt ugly four door cars that only come with an automatic transmission. They get lost in a parking lot as they look like any old family sedan. I parked next to a Hemi powered one the other day and didn't notice it was a Charger until I was walking back to my car. I honestly thought it was a Stratus when I parked next to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
wmutkelaw said:
My major contention with the Charger is that is bigger than the Mustang, yet actually weighs less, this translates to them not putting the "STUFF" or "GUTS" into the car. I know some would say that this lighter weight would be a good thing, but that is not necessarily true!
:tongue
Correction weighs more. The charger weighs over 4000 pounds ... A new mustang is around 3450. The Charger is a building with 4 wheels on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could have sworn that I read somewhere in the side by side comparisons that the charger weighed less. You are probably right, I likely transposed the numbers.

At any rate, the CHarger may have more engine, but it will likely have more mechanical trouble, like with the interior and general durability. I drive my cars year round, in Michigan (West Michigan at that) and the winters are generally tough, although this year it has been mild. I need to have a car that can stand up...and Dodges seem to show wear and tear a lot quicker than fords, and this comes from experience. I drive a 1995 Thunderbird that has stood up amazingly!

GO FORD! :smoke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
418 Posts
gkaufman said:
Correction weighs more. The charger weighs over 4000 pounds ... A new mustang is around 3450. The Charger is a building with 4 wheels on it.
Yeah, Charger is heavier and the Challenger will be too from what I've heard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
wmutkelaw said:
My wife dropped the bomb on my parade by saying she really likes the looks of the charger. I hope it is not her maternal instinct telling her that 4 doors are better than 2.

I will not buy a Dodge product, IMO they are not up to the same standards as Fords or Chevrolets, however, I am not a big bow tie fan either, I have just adopted one thru marriage, and I have to admit, it is easy to work on, they did do their homework in that regard.

My major contention with the Charger is that is bigger than the Mustang, yet actually weighs less, this translates to them not putting the "STUFF" or "GUTS" into the car. I know some would say that this lighter weight would be a good thing, but that is not necessarily true!

Just wanted to see what you all had to say, just to give me more ammo to ambush the wife's taste for the charger. (Not that it really matters, I will buy a mustang when the day is done!)

:tongue
First thing, In all honesty I think the new charger is bad to the bone. With that said, a new charger pulled beside me at a convience store and a "gas station car show" began. Everyone could not take their eyes off my 'stang. It got so bad I was feeling sorry for this guy and started complimenting his car just to make his situation better.

I didn't buy the car to haul kids around or grocery shop in. I couldn't care less if it didn't have a back seat at all. Its just a weekend ride to put the top down and take a road trip. Be honest with yourself, if a family is in your future, maybe this isn't the time for a sportscar of any breed. You can be thankful to have a fun wife anyway as my EX-WIFE would have gone into heart failure if I came home in my new mustang. Its a constant source of laughter when she sees me now in my ride about town, but I could start a new thread with that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
heaviness and horsepower to the side, I am not strictly buying the GT (in the future) just b/c it is fast. I am buying it b/c it is a great looking car and most importantly it is Ford. I am sure I am not the only person who feels this way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
A guy I work with traded in his 04' GT in on an 06' Charger because he now has TWO car seats, and a wife that kept saying "blAh blah blah, blah blAh blah, blah blAh".
Anyway, she (oops, I meant to say he) got the R/T in the Redfire'ish color and it is a cool looking car inside and out. Remember this is the sister car to the 300 that beat the Mustang for car of the year for 2005.

He says that he likes it and he never talks about his "old" car anymore. I guess you gotta move on sometimes.

If you need 4 doors what are you going to do? buy a Fivehundred? not me. although you would never-ever catch me owning a Dodge. Don't need a reason, just not gonna du it.

Too bad "her" vehicle, a late model F150 Crewcab Shortbed, wasn't sufficent enough to haul the family around :rolleyes:

Am I a bad person because other people's bad decisions make me feel just a little bit better about myself? Like I need that anyway, my kids are just growing up enough to start leaving the house and the Mrs. bought me an 05' GT for out 20th anniversary.
(well, she paid the tag and tax. But she had them put a bow on it for me!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Our local Mustang Club has a "drive-in" at the Dairy Queen 1st Wednesday of every month. Last night we had maybe 10 older stangs, 5 05/06 stangs, 2 Grand Nationals, 1 hopped up Monte Carlo, 2 Trans Ams, several ricers, but no Chryslers or Dodges. A guy pulled into the gas pumps (the Dairy Queen is co-located with a Texaco) in a yellow Charger. Not really a bad looking car in yellow (seems like the orange or yellow looks best on that car to me) but he didn't even come over and park the car for a second, shoot the breeze, or whatever. Struck me as odd. He just gassed up and left. 30 or so Muscle Cars and the others, but he didn't want to stick around and show off his car. Different breed I guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
My wife said the same thing...until she sat in one. Just a quick glance around the interior and she was sold on a Ford Five Hundred for a family car instead. And those have absolutely zero coolness factor in their exterior design.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My wife is currently driving a Chevy Blazer, the old style, but it has low miles and has been cared for so it will likely go a long ways. My goal is to put her in a Fusion and me in my new Mustang within the next couple of years.

The Fusion is not spectacular, but since we have no kids and my wife really does not care about cars I think the fusion might be a good choice. However, she really likes her SUV, so there is a dilemma. We need a pick-up and of course a Mustang, so maybe I should put her in a f-150, b/c every family needs a pickup, in my opinion!

No Dodges, that is the rule! :winks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
SVT is supposed to be modifying the Fusion - I'd wait for that. And if you need a truck they are also doing the Sport-Trac Adrenaline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
How about you tell your wife to shut up and buy the Mustang GT...or get the Shelby.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
886 Posts
I drove the Magnum while car shopping, before the charger was out. I was more impressed than I expected, but it didn't handle as well (duh) and was way too cushy. Plus, did you know they turn off half the cylinders while cruising? If you are easing down the highway, it's running on 4 cyl!! It's called Displacement On Demand or some such.You can't tell driving it, but sooner or later, the other four will fail to come back to life when you need them. Count on it. This year, they're making the truck engines that way, too. Bad idea, guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
ultraclyde said:
I drove the Magnum while car shopping, before the charger was out. I was more impressed than I expected, but it didn't handle as well (duh) and was way too cushy. Plus, did you know they turn off half the cylinders while cruising? If you are easing down the highway, it's running on 4 cyl!! It's called Displacement On Demand or some such.You can't tell driving it, but sooner or later, the other four will fail to come back to life when you need them. Count on it. This year, they're making the truck engines that way, too. Bad idea, guys.
I thank God for that Performance on Demand thing or what ever it is because when the Magnums first came out I was not aware of the 05 Mustangs yet and I liked the looks of the Magnum and I really liked 340 horsepower. I also have a lot of sh** I need to haul around and people I need to haul around so I went down to look at one and got the specs on it and everything and when I saw the four cylinder/eight cylinder thing I said WHOA! I think Caddilac tried that about 10 years ago and it was nothing but problems. Even though I had the new car fever bad I controlled myself and TA DA! I found the mustang.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
You know why a chicken coupe only has two doors?









Because if it had 4 doors it would be called a chicken sedan.:)



I have raced a Charger R/T. I wasn't impressed. He never passed me. And honestly, I expected him to. The Challenger, on the other hand, in my opinon is just schweet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
hawgman said:
You know why a chicken coupe only has two doors?
Because if it had 4 doors it would be called a chicken sedan.:)
QUOTE]
Hawgnan, you're killing me!! My 10 year old son is laughing really hard. He must have missed something.!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
...

Charger is only for the old school hemi fans in my point of view....i dont like the ugly bulky look...Looks like a sporty verison of the 300C..all thats new is the front....so yeah stay away from this car..i wouldnt ever want to pay payments for something thats so Fat looking.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top