Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps this is a stupid question but I'd really like to know the answer.
Is it true that the 0-60 and overall track times are faster on a GT hard top than they are on a Vert because the Verts are less aero-dynamic?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Well, a contribution to the slower time is weight for sure. They are heavier.

·
Registered
435 Posts
This is from Motor Trend road test results:

2005 Mustang GT - 0-60 5.1 seconds, 1/4 mile 13.5 seconds
2005 Mustang GT Convertible - 0-60 5.4 seconds, 1/4 mile 13.9 seconds

Yeah, the Vert is a bit slower, but not significantly:clap .

·
Registered
829 Posts
Crazy001 said:
This is from Motor Trend road test results:

2005 Mustang GT - 0-60 5.1 seconds, 1/4 mile 13.5 seconds
2005 Mustang GT Convertible - 0-60 5.4 seconds, 1/4 mile 13.9 seconds

Yeah, the Vert is a bit slower, but not significantly:clap .
To a die hard gear head, 1/10th's of a second are hard fought for and valuable. I've put lots and lots of money in cars for a few more tenths at the track. So: though it seems slight, it does matter a lot to some people. My '06 was originally going to be a vert until I checked into its weight. My salesman said it was 500 lb.s more. I would think he's wrong and maybe 150 lb.s or so, but it would be nice to know for sure because I seem to bring it up a lot.
Can one of you vert guys go to a feed mill, a rock quarry or track etc. and get a weight without you in it and note your gas tank level and report in on this? :help:

Iowa isn't good vert. territory either or I would have considered the vert a little more.
Russ

·
Registered
151 Posts
According to R Sports Cars:

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/mustang_gt.asp
The GT Coupe is 3483
The GT Vert is 3614.

I get 131 pounds. Sounds like a pretty small difference, but enough to make a difference. I also wonder if having the top up or down makes a difference??

·
Registered
829 Posts
clubt said:
According to R Sports Cars:

http://www.rsportscars.com/eng/cars/mustang_gt.asp
The GT Coupe is 3483
The GT Vert is 3614.

I get 131 pounds. Sounds like a pretty small difference, but enough to make a difference. I also wonder if having the top up or down makes a difference??
Thank you for getting this found! I figured my salesman was way (weigh) off!
I bougth a rear seat delete kit for the '06 (about 45# reduction) and I know the Manual trans is 40# lighter and I am gunna keep the rear sub box (shaker 1000) in the garage as it weighs in at 33#...so you see where I am going with this don't ya????? ON A DIET! hahaha.
Russ

·
Registered
122 Posts
I know that the vert has softer springs than the Coupe. (CarandDriver)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts