Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another topic for debate, I know this one will fly out the window, but I certainly would like to hear what some of you GearHeads have to say about this one! :eyepoppin

GT vs. LX ?

Which would you feel is better? Why?

Is there a significant difference when it comes to upgrading? Cost? Look?

I have read that the GT is actually heavier in weight than the LX. I have also read that the coupe is the better of the two to create for racing because of it's traction. Of course, this may all be wrong. I'm also aware that both have the same internal engine, but am unsure of what the major differences are between the two.

What do YOU think? And what can you tell me?

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
The Coupe is obviously faster because of weight, but its structure is stronger too, do to the fact that there is no giant hatchback opening.

·
Registered
579 Posts
WhatEver.. Weak ..Weight...The GT still looks best because it looks lower stock and has that Grand Am racing image. I like the GT parts put on a Coupe. NICE

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like the Gt look...takes me back to high school days! Also it does look lower and faster sitting still than the LX.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like the Gt look...takes me back to high school days! Also it does look lower and faster sitting still than the LX.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But what are the significant differences?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Young_Buck said:
But what are the significant differences?
The biggest differences from '87-'93 are that the GT came only in hatch form, and also with the ground effects, different tailights, different front and rear bumper covers, and foglights. The pre '87 GT's differed mostly in trim and graphics from the LX's, and the front bumper covers had holes for foglights, where the LX's did not. I believe later LX's were also offered with the GT seats as well.

You will probably find that most people prefer the clean looks of the LX coupe, especially since they were available with the GT handling and interior options. The LX tailights are probably the best looking ever put on a fox, while the '87 and up GT cheesegraters are the worst.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
5SpeedGT said:
The biggest differences from '87-'93 are that the GT came only in hatch form, and also with the ground effects, different tailights, different front and rear bumper covers, and foglights. The pre '87 GT's differed mostly in trim and graphics from the LX's, and the front bumper covers had holes for foglights, where the LX's did not. I believe later LX's were also offered with the GT seats as well.

You will probably find that most people prefer the clean looks of the LX coupe, especially since they were available with the GT handling and interior options. The LX tailights are probably the best looking ever put on a fox, while the '87 and up GT cheesegraters are the worst.
The biggest differences are weight & options. the GT weighs 200+ lbs more than the LX. The LX 5.0L is the quickest, and most unassuming model (read: sleeper).

·
Registered
136 Posts
LX Hatch is my vote. I like the LX sleeper look and the hatch is pretty useful if you have future stereo plans. I think fox cars look good with a hatch because they're not really large cars. Although some folks will say its not a true mustang because of the hatch. One more thing about the LX Hatch 5,0, ricers seem to think its a 4-banger even with an offroad h... You would think dual exhaust, big tires, and the rumble would give it away but I've had several occasions where it hasn't.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
i concur. i definately prefer the LX to the GT. Im the proud owner of an 88 LX Hatch. Being able to get that kind of power out of a light car that doesnt look like a monster is pretty nice. bein able to hide all that power until you drop the hammer is nice. not to mention the CHEAPER INSURANCE RATE. and the GT has a big ass. its wide and "bulbous" butt makes it ugly (personal opinion)

take a nice lx, put gt40 heads and intakes on it, and youre good to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
LX Sport is what the 5.0 package was called. Basically it was a GT Coupe in LX trim.
I myself have an LX Sport 'Vert. Lil' Bit heavier hence my mods(see below). :tongue
Has the Saleen Fox Body Package kit on it now. >> PIC

·
Registered
215 Posts
I prefer which ever I can get my hands on with the 302 in it! Around here the fox body style is hard to come by! If someone has one they are not letting it go even if it has the 4 in it!

Looks wise, I have to go with the Saleen body style. It has a semi-agressive look to it while keeping it not too GTish. Cobra was the same way. Ealier fox front ends with the 4 eye are the best fronts! (IMHO)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also like the sleeper look of my lx hatch, i have had so many people want to race, and def regret it afterwards.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
if you want to pull a real fast one, pick up a four cylinder fox body with no motor or tranny. then drop a 302 in it from a gt or lx and youre good to go! youll only be paying 4 cylinder insurance prices! my brother did this, definately very shifty idea, his insurance was dirty dirty cheap

·
Registered
16 Posts
shakerhood said:
The Coupe is obviously faster because of weight, but its structure is stronger too, do to the fact that there is no giant hatchback opening.
I have to agree with this one. I have had a GT & they tend to twist rather easy even with frame ties & a cage . The notch I run now doesnt seem to twist as bad & is lighter. I have to have a base weight of 3125 (including me)

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
My Hands-down favorite Fox 'Stang frontend is the '79 Pace Car - '82 GT. They look tuffer than any other version imo. I once had a buddy tell me he thought my old '82 GT looked overdone because of the hoodscoop! And he drove an '87 GT complete with the cheesegraters and ground-effects.
I like the cheesegraters alot, so much so, that I wouldn't mind replacing them with a set of LX lenses, in order to keep them safe inside. They must be a nightmare if you're changing your car's color...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.