Ford Mustang Forum banner

Which wheels are the most iconic for GT350?

• 10 Spoke

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • 5 Spoke

Votes: 4 66.7%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm working on a new illustration of the GT350, and I'm trying to figure out which wheels I should use. I see two styles that seem to be factory options, and neither stand out as obviously the iconic choice.

Which of these two do you think is the right wheel to go with?

10 Spoke

Or the 5 Spoke?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I like the cragaresque 5 spokes my self. the Toque thrust on the track ready cars are pretty cool also. The white car above those are GT6 wheels! which are a knock of that were inspired by the original 10 spoke wheels. the original didn't curve up at the ends to see the rim.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, good catch, I didn't notice they were knockoffs!

I personally really like the look of the 5-spoke ones.

Thanks for for the name of the Torque Thrust wheels too! I'd seen those in some pictures, but I assumed they were aftermarket and not stock. Good to know! Did they come from the factory for customers, or were they just on the racing cars?

·
Registered
592 Posts
My vote goes to the 5 spoke on the early shelby GT350.. Hands down on the 10 spokes when it comes to 67- 68 GT500 though.

J

·
Registered
245 Posts
I really like the look of the Torq-Thrust wheels on the early Mustangs, but as far as iconic goes, the 10 spoke wheel is what I picture in my mind when I think "Shelby Mustang". Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
1968 Shelby Cobra GT 350
82 Posts
5 spoke Torque wheels on a 65-66, ten spoke on 67-68. Although I was recently corrected at a car show. NO 68 Shelby Mustangs came with the ten spoke aluminum rims. The single piston Kelsey Hayes wouldn't fit inside those rims. All the cars came with steel rims and hubcaps.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I prefer the actual race wheels on the original Boss 302 race cars. Seriously wish I could get a one off copy of them that would work with the suspension and fenders on my S197

Really though, what has happened to wheel design since the 1970's? Is it just the ubiquitous McPherson Strut design that has brought us the domed out "Dually Fronts" look, or is it actually a beneficial suspension engineering leap forward that has relegated the deep dish look to history?

Is it only truck wheels that do not look like Klingon Ninja throwing stars, or billet gladiolas?

Did you know that the first Boss 302 was a 1968 Mustang and not a 1969. Did you know the Boss 302 race wheels and tires would not fit under the front fenders of the 1968 Boss 302 Mustang once lowered for the track. Then, the Shelby shop used a Port-a-Power, 2x4, and a sandbag to get the first "Wide Body" Mustang to the track. Worked well, did it not? Added a cool "vent" along the fender/hood panel lie too, LOL. Kinda like the hammer to the inside of the Cobra deck lid to get the test luggage to fit in the trunk.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts