Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is this gonna be a simple head swap? will the same headers fit? will the coolant passages line up? anyone done this swap? o ya i got a 66 with a 289.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Finally, a question I can answer. I just recently did this swap on my 66 289. Its fairly simple. You will need to get a set of ARP head bolts with spacers for this swap. Those are easy to find. Also, you will need a set of 1983 5.0 push rods for the rocker assembly, and you can use the stock gt40 rocker set up. The only other thing you can do if you want, I did, is have the heads milled down just a bit to decrease the Combustion chambers. The GT40's are 64 cc's and the 289 head is 55. it makes the compression ratio normal doing that. You dont have to though from what I have been told. Thats it. Do yourself a favor though, have your heads totally gone through before you put them on. Mine had a tiny crack through two chambers. It still ran fast as hell with two cylinders that wouldnt hold pressure............

·
Registered
520 Posts
Are some of those parts for just the 289? Is it any different for lets say my 302?:scratchchin

1 - 3 of 3 Posts