Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok I know that there are better cams out there than the E303 but I am not looking for a race car just something that will move nicely when I hit the gas. I recently purchased a set of GT40 heads (3bar-not Ps) for a decent price. They are completely rebuilt never been run. I also have a Tmoss ported stock intake on the way. I was thinking of putting the e cam in while i have it apart. I have a 91 GT stock automatic with 56000 original miles on it. I just put 373s in it and a Trans go AOD reprogramming kit is going in as we speak. Will this be a decent combo to add some at least noticeable power over stock? Anyone running a similar combo right now? I was also kicking around leaving the HO cam in and throwing on a set of 1.7s? What do you guys think?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm sorry Reg but I would have to disagree in this case, even though we usually agree on most things. I think 1.7 rockers are a terrible way too increase the lift on a cam. The 1.7 rockers add a lot more stress to your valve train and cam lobes. For the price it would actually be around $20 cheaper to buy the higher lift E303 cam and in this case I do believe the cam will yield a little more of an increase in power. Keep in mind this is if you buy a set of the cheapest decent 1.7 roller rockers on the market in most cases you will pay a lot more for good quality set. JMO :shrug

Robert

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
The GT40 head/E cam combo has been done many times and it makes a decent upgrade. Many here have it, maybe one of them with it will contribute to this thread.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
1.7's will put you between a b and e cam and you wont have to admit to actually buying a letter cam :heha:

G

·
I'm sorry Reg but I would have to disagree in this case, even though we usually agree on most things. I think 1.7 rockers are a terrible way too increase the lift on a cam. The 1.7 rockers add a lot more stress to your valve train and cam lobes. For the price it would actually be around $20 cheaper to buy the higher lift E303 cam and in this case I do believe the cam will yield a little more of an increase in power. Keep in mind this is if you buy a set of the cheapest decent 1.7 roller rockers on the market in most cases you will pay a lot more for good quality set. JMO :shrug

Robert
You definitely make a good point.....

BUT the stock cam and 1.7's IMO will cause less tuning problem than the alphabet cam......

The optimum way to go is a better cam & 1.6's rockers......

It ok to disagree with me i'm only right 99.99% of the time.....:smartass:

Actually you didn't disagree with me you just gave another point of view on the topic which is what this forum is all about.....:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok then what would be a good cam with my combo if not the e cam. i just dont want to deal with any idling issues. there has to be a good cam i can use and have it be decent. any suggestions?

·
Registered
336 Posts
trick flow stage 1 one seems to be that cam of choice or steeda 18 if you can find one.....

Agreed, TFS stage one is a good cam but I am a bigger fan of Comp Cams products. :bigthumbsup You might want to check out their XE264HR grind. It should be a pretty close match to those heads and still be real street friendly.

Robert

G

·
Agreed, TFS stage one is a good cam but I am a bigger fan of Comp Cams products. :bigthumbsup You might want to check out their XE264HR grind. It should be a pretty close match to those heads and still be real street friendly.

Robert
See we are back on the same page again......:)

All genius think alike......:worship

I too agree with being a bigger fan of comp cams......:bigthumbsup

Just being lazy today........:yup:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ok then what would be a good cam with my combo if not the e cam. i just dont want to deal with any idling issues. there has to be a good cam i can use and have it be decent. any suggestions?

i am in the boat..gt40 heads,e-cam,tfs-street intake made 250/302-90gt t5 3.73 w/ stock mass air meter

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
IMO those heads and a cam combo are a complete waste of $. Youd be better off taking the $ youd spend on the heads and cam and fork over a few hundred more for a TFS top end kit

·
Registered
336 Posts
IMO those heads and a cam combo are a complete waste of $. Youd be better off taking the $ youd spend on the heads and cam and fork over a few hundred more for a TFS top end kit
WOW! The way guys around here push the TFS top end combo's you would think they had stock in the company ROFL! :worship

I am still trying to figure out how the $2600 you spent on a TFS top end combo is only a few hundred dollars more then the $1000 he would spend on a set of new GT40s and a E303 cam? Anyway he never stated he bought the heads new, he just said he got a good deal on them. He already stated he is not looking for a race car. He just wants to pep up his ride a bit without breaking the bank or losing reliability. Just what I picked up from the post so far :bigthumbsup

Go with the Comp Cams XE264HR and the combo you mentioned above, you will be very happy with it Len.

Robert

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got the gt 40 heads (non P's) with the e cam in my 86 right now. Personally i like how my car sounds and also i felt a noticable power difference. If your not looking for something too big, then the e cam would be a good choice, from what i heard from many on here, they dont like the alphabet cam. Its my first mustang and first cam and i love it. IMO if your just looking for a little getty up then go with the e cam.:)

G

·
I got the gt 40 heads (non P's) with the e cam in my 86 right now. Personally i like how my car sounds and also i felt a noticable power difference. If your not looking for something too big, then the e cam would be a good choice, from what i heard from many on here, they dont like the alphabet cam. Its my first mustang and first cam and i love it. IMO if your just looking for a little getty up then go with the e cam.:)
Well having an alphabet cam is like losing your virginity.....

Your first one is good because you have nothing to compare it to.......

But just wait until you get the cam version of a "cougar"......:yup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I like the cobra intake and e cam in my 1999 crate engine just fine. I'm sure there are better new combos (there always are) but I'm happy with what I got.

·
Registered
336 Posts
The only reasons to use a E303 cam is if you live in California and you want your car to be totally smog legal or if you are on an extremely tight budget and can't afford the extra $100+ for a newer style cam. I live in California and on my first 347 build a friend of mine talked me into buying the E303 so the car would still be smog legal. The E303 cam was a decent performer but a lot of my friends that raced talked me into doing more research on the newer cams. I did a lot of article reading and looked at a bunch of build sheets/dyno reports and the one thing I consistently noticed was the performance differences between the older grind cams and newer grind cams. The newer cams just had better power curves then the older grinds.

If money is a major issue the E303 isn't a bad choice, it functions. :shrug

I admit there are a few people that go a little overboard on here saying the letter cams are terrible and this just isn't the case. :nono: What it does come down too is, can you afford to put a much better cam in your car?

If you have the extra $100, there are a lot of box cams on the market that out perform the letter cams hands down. :bigthumbsup

I know this is usually where all the "custom grind cam guys" will chime in and say custom grind is the best way to go. :eek:hknow Spending $500 on a cam only makes sence if you are racing and you never plan on making any changes your motor setup.

Robert

·
Registered
430 Posts
WOW! The way guys around here push the TFS top end combo's you would think they had stock in the company ROFL! :worship

I am still trying to figure out how the $2600 you spent on a TFS top end combo is only a few hundred dollars more then the $1000 he would spend on a set of new GT40s and a E303 cam? Anyway he never stated he bought the heads new, he just said he got a good deal on them. He already stated he is not looking for a race car. He just wants to pep up his ride a bit without breaking the bank or losing reliability. Just what I picked up from the post so far :bigthumbsup

Go with the Comp Cams XE264HR and the combo you mentioned above, you will be very happy with it Len.

Robert

I need a cam also Hemlock. What's your take on this ? Want a good idle nothing to dramatic, occassional weekend car. Looked on Comp site at the XE264HR but it mentions its compatible with 1.7rr's. I was thinking maybe the XE266HR where I'm keeping my 19 lb'ers and stock computer. I have the 1.6rr's on order, new Edelbrock Performers, GT-40tubular, 70mm Cobra maf, 65mm accufab t/b, 5 speed. Thoughts appreciated. I was leaning towards the Stage 1 but might change my mind after reading your posts on the Comp Cams

·
Registered
336 Posts
I need a cam also Hemlock. What's your take on this ? Want a good idle nothing to dramatic, occassional weekend car. Looked on Comp site at the XE264HR but it mentions its compatible with 1.7rr's. I was thinking maybe the XE266HR where I'm keeping my 19 lb'ers and stock computer. I have the 1.6rr's on order, new Edelbrock Performers, GT-40tubular, 70mm Cobra maf, 65mm accufab t/b, 5 speed. Thoughts appreciated. I was leaning towards the Stage 1 but might change my mind after reading your posts on the Comp Cams
You are running Edelbrock Performer heads? What valve size and what chamber size?

Robert

·
Registered
430 Posts
You are running Edelbrock Performer heads? What valve size and what chamber size?

Robert

just the smaller ones... 1:90" in 1:60" ex. 60cc (p/n 60379) have'nt installed them yet

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.