Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use GT40 iron heads from an Explorer on my '87 H.O. motor that came with flat top pistons?I really can't swap pistons right now.Thanks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This engine came from an '87 Mustang,it had (has) flat tops.I can't say whether or not it was the original.I wonder if I need the reliefs in the pistons to use the GT40's,or can I use my flat tops?

·
Registered
471 Posts
If they're completely flat, youre choices are:

1. Pop 'em out and have a machine shop flycut them.
2. Get the Isky cutting tool and find a junk head to diissasemble and cut them yourself.
3. You can get TRW/SpeedPro Hyper pistons that are friction coated with new rings for less than $100 all day long on ebay. You can get forged for $50-$100 more. If you want to really cheap, you can get regular cast for $50 or so.

Hypers will be fine unless you plan on a ton of nitrous or boost. They will be okay using moderate amounts with a good tune. That's the way I would go, personally.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So,no GT40 heads with flat top pistons.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep,that's it.Looks like a full moon in the dark of night in that picture.Question,just for my curious mind.What's the difference in those,and E7 heads as far as valve angle and such?Do the valves open farther?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.