Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that there was a truck that I could get a better intake from that would bolt right on but I have no idea which ford truck it was or what years had it. I would also like to know just how much better this intake actually is.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The intake tract on the (IIRC 97ish, forget the exact years) Explorers and Mountineers used the gt40 p heads and a gt40p intake. This intake is basically a gt40 intake, and again IIRC flows about the same. Straight bolt up to most 5.0s, but cheaper than aftermarket or "true" -40 parts If you add the heads, however, you will need to change plugs to the stockers for the explorer, and get specific "P" headers.
Nice low buck swap, except for the headers which tend to be more pricey. But anyway, yeah, if you can score a "P" intake, go for it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
the GT40 intake is an awesome intake all around. Not only does it flow awesome yet it looks cool to. The truck your talking about is the 1995 Ford Lightning. They came with the GT40 I believe.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mack Daddy said:
the GT40 intake is an awesome intake all around. Not only does it flow awesome yet it looks cool to. The truck your talking about is the 1995 Ford Lightning. They came with the GT40 I believe.
yes, but the upper plenum was backwards. (the air intake was on the drivers side). although the lower plenum is the same thing as the GT40. i think thats the truck intake manifold you heard about....

·
Registered
471 Posts
You're looking for '96-'01 Explorers and Mountaneirs.

'96 to mid '97 came with regular GT40 heads, and the GT40 style intakes had the correct EGR passages for a fox until '98ish. From mid '97 to '01, they came with GT40P heads, which have a smaller chamber, relocated spark plug angles, a smaller exhaust valve, and they actually flow a little more than a standard GT40 head. The other advantage they have is a cleaner, more efficient burn. The '98ish to '01 intakes do not have the EGR holes, so you will either have to delete the EGR completely, or run a '94-'95 Mustang style external EGR setup.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, thanks a lot for the help, I got exactly the information I was looking for.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Mack Daddy said:
Yup, best looking intake manifold anywhere!
The lightning was a 351 though, which means the lower intake is wider and won't work on a 302.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Im not very in tune with the older lightnings. As stated above I guess the intake from an older Lightning will not work on our cars. If your looking for one cheap I scored mine off ebay for $350.00! Upper & Lower. It was used though and needed some TLC.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Mack Daddy said:
Im not very in tune with the older lightnings. As stated above I guess the intake from an older Lightning will not work on our cars. If your looking for one cheap I scored mine off ebay for $350.00! Upper & Lower. It was used though and needed some TLC.
FWIW, only the lower won't work. The uppers the same, and their quite a few "singles" floating around on ebay/ some sites sell the upper and lower separately. Could save some dough that way.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
No worries, just another good reason to swap in that 351. lol

·
Registered
551 Posts
meangreen92 said:
No worries, just another good reason to swap in that 351. lol
Ya know, Its just a pity that the (soon-to-be) mrs doesent grok the subtile logic at work there, LOL
Maybe if I drew a "it was on sale/we would've needed it eventually" analogy, hmmmm.....

Actually, with her, I might be able to get away w/ it if I did it then took her for a testdrive. She does dig acceleration, LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.