Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there anyway to make my gt40p heads cobra intake 65mm tb and 73mm maf perform better it wasnt to impressed

i did think it was worth the money ,but would like to no whats next for me

·
Registered
653 Posts
forced induction. Turbo or supercharger.

·
Registered
431 Posts
full port and polish on the heads and gasket match the intake? If your hardcore, cut the intake in half and bead blast the internals.

·
Registered
704 Posts
i dont remember anyone every saying they were impressive in the first place.....

and dont waste ur money on those iron heads...

save your money then buy aftermarket heads.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Like steelers1377 said..... GT40 or GT40p heads are still STOCK windsor heads ... the grassroots alternative, once you start adding $$ to make them perform, an OOTB set of TFS TW 170's are more "budget oriented" + a better bang for the buck...... provided you are not limited by any class racing that is. Just a thought.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
not that its THAT impressive,but my setup went a best of 12.99 so far..what exactly doesnt impress you about yours?

·
Registered
120 Posts
i would have put a cam and ported the heads and intake in when i did the heads. is the car just for the strip i noticed you live cali and the p's don't have have any emission provisions

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think itl pass smog just hanging there all is does is help start the engine when its cold

if i could get into 12s id be very impressed

·
Registered
437 Posts
yeah get a cam i bet it wakes that thing up i mean youve got about everything else done

·
Registered
120 Posts
if you get a cam you'll be limited to a grind that will pass cali emission testing. i have ported p heads, explorer intake and a e-cam (was already in the car when i bought it), a t5 and 3.55 gears. I run mid 12's wth drag radials, but i can drive

R

·
0 Posts
if you get a cam you'll be limited to a grind that will pass cali emission testing. i have ported p heads, explorer intake and a e-cam (was already in the car when i bought it), a t5 and 3.55 gears. I run mid 12's wth drag radials, but i can drive
How much are spraying.....

and how much suspension work do you have done.....:headscratch:

·
Registered
46,010 Posts
P heads aren't going to set the world on fire, they're a step up from the stock E7 heads but they're not all that. By the time you'd have them worked over to get some more power out of them, you could've gotten some aftermarkets that make more power than modified Ps.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
depending on the deal you get for the heads
my P heads-$75 straight from the u-pull it
summit porting kit-$40
new valve stem seals $30
crane beehive valve springs-$125
$all said and done under $300

i believe he can go mid 12's with P heads..if my car was a few 100lbs lighter(IE: stripped out notchback) it would be there..granted i have suspension work done..

·
Registered
120 Posts
too much suspension too list everything. upper & lower control arms, 10 way adjustable shocks, connectors.race springs with a bag and the battery in the back., the only interior pieces in the car is the passenger seat and door panels. I have a ton of money in valves. ferrea f6000 valves, trick flow springs, scorpion rockers (they are awesome). I'm am on a mission to see how fast i can go with the p's. only mustang guys notice the four bars on the heads, i wish i had grinded them off. oh yea no nitrous, no a/c and no smog pump. i've had the car on the road for just over one month

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
guy on another forum running 11.85's on a stock explorer P longblock..serious weight reduction and suspension work done obviously..

go get a good dyno tune,the diff is night/day,especially if you put in larger injectors..the "calibrated" MAF's are onoly "trickery"..proper way is to correct in the tune..

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I went low 13's with 200 dollar gt40p's and a 100 dollar explorer intake. What more do you guys want to be honest? I was happy at the time, but knew that if I wanted to step up I had to spend money, like has been said a few times they are stock heads. IMO they're still a good bang for the buck granted you don't have to dump a ton of money to rebuild them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i've been havin probs with my mass air too, I bought a c&l new on ebay. No problems before i installed it, now i get a code that says not enough input from mass air unit, its a converted 87, i want to check the computer connection, but the roll bar is right in front of it

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
You can monitor the MAF signal voltage at the MAF sensor also. But it does need to be checked at the ECM itself to make sure its the same voltage reaching the ECM. But if the Voltage at the MAF is off, then there is almost no reason to check the ECM.

·
Registered
389 Posts
P heads are a little restrictive that's why i just sold mine on ebay for 300. Then promptly turned around and bought a brand pair Dart Pro 1 series 195cc bare heads for 799:hihi: Granted they were blem heads that were scratched during the machining process but their blem is repaired by the seller and has no effect on their performance. 2 for the price of 1 thanks ebay:D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.