Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the brakes are not looking very good for my fox what about the stock 3.55 from a GT500.

Is it a direct fit for a fox or is it totally different? They are also very cheap and was looking to upgrade my 2.73.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
the gears themselves(ring and pinion)?

as long as its a Ford 8.8" ring and pinion it'll work

replacing the whole rear end housing will not

you can also use the ring and pinion from ford trucks,explorers,mercury mountaineers,etc..anything with an 8.8 rear axle

·
Registered
498 Posts
the housings are the same but the fox does not have 31 spline axles like the gt500 so unless you want to upgrade your axles id just get a set of ford racing 3:73s for a fox

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
The gears are okay it would matter if he plans on using the trac lok which is spline specific.
the housings are the same but the fox does not have 31 spline axles like the gt500 so unless you want to upgrade your axles id just get a set of ford racing 3:73s for a fox

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
what about the upper control arm mounts? and the width?

a fox has 2 UCA.s..the S197 cars only use 1 upper control arm

and 31 spline vs 28 has nothing to do with the actual ring & pinion

·
Registered
498 Posts
oh yeah thats true i got confused between the gears and the trac lok being spline specific

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it is sounding good that they will be a drop in. And yes it is just the ring and pinion.

Is there anything to do with the 28 and 31 spline on the axels or not. I still have the stock 28 spline, so will that be a prob?

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
gears are not a "drop in" install-even though these gears will work in your 8.8

you need to set backlash,pinion bearing preload,ring gear runout,pattern,etc..

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
id say your better off just buying 3:73s from frpp. i dont think its worth the time or money to find gears from a gt500. its not like there is a difference between the gt500 gears and new frpp 3:55s, its just the ability to say "i have gears from a gt500 in my car."

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
i think he's saying he found some used/cheap already

FWIW,my gears are out of an explorer..used $25..i drop the clutch at 4k rpms on slicks 10 times every friday nite for the past 2 years

as long as they're setup properly,it doesnt matter what they're from

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.