Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GT500 Shelby old look or new look?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Cdvision 
#1 ·
I am thinking of getting a 2009 Gabber Orange Vert. I kinda like the back end better than the new 2011 look. Tell me what do you think? I am on the fence right now. Trying to make the right chioce...

#2 ·
You posted this in the GT500 forum. You can expect any AFM members who own '07-'09 GT500s to say they like them better, and any who own '10-'11 GT500s to proclaim them the best. That is just simple human nature.

Keeping in mind that I own an '08 GT500, my thoughts are:

I prefer the '07-'09 hood because I dislike the wide black plastic paper-shredder slot in the '10-'11 hood.
I prefer the '07-09 rear panel and taillights (most people do).
I prefer the '08-'09 HIDs 'cause big round lights help the front look more retro than the '10-'11 projector-style HIDs.
I prefer the dual 10" wide LeMans stripes to the narrower stripes that come with the '11 SVT performance pack.
I prefer the '07-'09 sill stripes because their retro look mimics the sill stripes on the late sixries GT500s.
I prefer the '07-'09 interiors because I dislike the dual stripes on each seat in the '10-'11 GT500s and I like the black dash look more than the brighter dash (although many others do prefer the look of the '10-'11 interiors).

Anybody would prefer 540 or 550 HP over 500 HP, but the engines themselves are just about identical. You can add the same exact factory parts from FRPP (CAI and ProCal tuner reflash) to an '07-'09 GT500 and achieve the same 540 HP as the '08-'09 KR and 2010 GT500 (I already did). The 2011 engine gets an aluminum block with new spray-bore lining technology and loses over a hundred pounds, a dual-row heat exchanger for the supercharger for 40% more cooling capacity, electric power steering assist for less parasitic drag on the engine, and slightly larger diameter exhaust pipes that together add 10 HP (but no change in torque). The newer GT500s have stiffer springs and shocks, but those are available through FRPP for an '07-'09 if you want to trade a bit of ride comfort for improved road course handling.

#3 ·
Thanks for your 2cents! 500hp is plenty for me! The back end on the 10-11's at times is fine but I dig the 09, to me it looks BOSS! I love the Gabber Orange on the Vert, if I want to put stripes on, it will be the real thing, paint! #1 thing I don't like about the 2009 is the outside mirrors are not painted!!! What have you done about that...Thanks!

#5 ·
Hey Gary, you forgot the Snake is on the right side of the 2010 and 11's. Which do you like better? I like them both! Also the improved clutch and SHELBY lettering right across the rear deck instead of the left corner? :winks

#8 ·
Take the 2009 out for a spin the take out a 2010/11 out. It was a no brainer for me. The 2010 I bought was too me, better and more refined in every way, including styling.:bigthumbsup That's not to say that the 2007-2009's are not great cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.