Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty ladies and gentleman, I have finished my testing of the OEM GT500 suspension components offered by Green Leaf Prime (GLP) on eBay (great seller). Originally I was going to try and assemble a very nice riding, very capable suspension setup that would lower the car a little for the “look” and not have to spend much money doing it.

I am not kidding when I say I have at least 80 hours of testing into a possible setup (I like to do things right). I wanted to be able to recoup the time investment by packaging the suspension systems and reselling them for a small margin but when all is said and done the available margin at the price I wanted to sell the kit for and the work I was able to put into the project was not worth it for me. I have the supercharger 10 rib belt drive and the 3v/GT500 intake to get into production and they should have been done already.

But all is not lost.

Using the components that GLP is selling and adding a few items purchased elsewhere you can get yourself into one very nice inexpensive setup. The explanation of the tecno-jargon would take eons so I will cut it short by saying if you set up your car as outlined below you will have something very comparable to the 2010 “Track Pack” but lowered for very little money and effort. I spent some time driving my 2010 around to get a feel for how it worked stock to get a good baseline in my mind and then I installed the GT500 based kit and it was a very nice improvement. It is a LOT more livable than my FRPP Handling Pack on my 07’ and even while pushing the car very hard at times did I ever think I needed “more”. If my 07’ got more than 3K HARD and FAST miles a year and I was not planning on doing some hillclimb competitions this summer (paved) I would seriously consider going with the GT500 based kit.

The Setup
  • Get the GLP setup. $75ish
  • Buy a set of linear rate springs that will drop your car as far as you would like it. You will want to run springs that are between 185-200lb/in in the front and 175-195in/lb in the rear. The Steeda Ultralights are a good choice. A set of springs will run you about $230-260
  • Buy a set of the FRPP strut bushings (the OEM GT500 ones) M-18183-A because your stock GT ones will start clunking with the heavier springs over time and you will want these eventually anyway. The second reason to get the strut mounts is that it will prevent you from having to compress your stock springs to get your stock ones off. You won’t have to buy a compressor, borrow one, pay a shop to do it, etc. You can install the lowering springs on the struts without a compressor because they are shorter. Going this route is a LOT easier than swapping stuff off of your stock struts. You will simply be removing them and putting them on the shelf. $60-70ish
  • Get a set of OEM upper strut nuts from the dealer. You are getting them so you don’t have to remove the stock springs from the stock struts. $10 (a guess).
  • Get a set of camber bolts $30
  • Use the GT500 front swaybar. It is the same diameter as the GT swaybar but has a different wall thickness so it provides more roll resistance.
  • Locate, choose and purchase a rear swaybar. There are TONS of them out there and the only difference between the cheapest one and the most expensive one is some bling (or adjustability). They all work equally well. Most people will want to use a 22-22.2mm (7/8in) rear swaybar. If you are comfortable with throttle controlled oversteer and plan on driving the crap out of the car you will want to go for a 24mm or larger swaybar. Here is a list of rear swaybar sources, pricing, etc. $150-330

OEM GT500 07-09 Coupe rear swaybar 24mm $USED

Steeda Heavy Duty Rear 22.2mm $144-160

Steeda Comp Rear w- Endlinks 25mm $310-330

H&R Rear w-Endlinks 25mm $300

BMR Rear w-Endlinks 22mm $270

Helwig Rear 25.4mm $211

Helwig Rear Adjustable 25.4mm $180

Summit Racing SUM-720224 25.4mm $199

Edelbrock Rear w-Endlinks 22.2mm $190

Stillen Rear ??mm $152

Stillen Rear Adjustable ??mm $230

Eibach Rear 22.2mm $150

After lowering your car your axle may be off center. It may be off center stock also. If after lowering it is off center you will want to pick up an adjustable panhard bar. I am not factoring these in the pricing because they apply to every suspension modification situation so their price is a “push”

The minimum you can get into an entire kit like this is for about $550-575. On the plus side this combination includes the upper strut mounts, nuts and camber bolts. These are things you will not get with the “kits” that are out there and combined they run about $100. So if you pull out that $100 that you will probably end up spending anyway so the pricing is apples to apples with other kits you are looking at about $450-475, which is far less than you can get into the other stuff out there. And don’t forget you will not have to mess with compressing the front springs which is by far the worst part about doing the suspension.

There is one more way to shave money and that is to re-use your OEM swaybars. I know, I know, swaybars are the answer to everything:nogrinner……..In reality the OEM swaybars are fairly ideal for hard street driving because they tend to make the car understeer a bit opposed to oversteer and 99% of drivers will “save” and understeer problem before it turns into a big mess. On the other hand a majority of drivers will end up backward when presented with non throttle induced oversteer (which you are more likely to get with a larger rear swaybar). When a person goes with bigger ones the feeling of “better handling” that they get is mostly down to the incorrect assumption that body roll is bad. Body roll can be bad but you have to be driving very hard or you are not driving very smooth. I myself would have no issue leaving my stock swaybars on for a street car. Or you can put everything on but the swaybars and if the car meets your needs you sell the GT500 front bar from GLP and skip buying a rear. That could be another $150 savings right there which would put your setup cost into the “Stupid Cheap” range.

In conclusion you can get a nice setup with the right stance for not a lot of money and without the hassles of dealing with spring compressors, etc. The majority of the packages out there don’t come with everything you need to do things right (strut mounts, camber bolts and possibly a panhard bar) and for quite a bit of money. When you compare apples to apples piecing this setup together is far less money than going with other options. And the setup is more than capable of handling anything you can sanely or insanely put it through on public roads while still maintaining near OEM ride and comfort levels. Unless you are planning on getting on the track I don’t see how you could consider another option.

Tell Jerry at Greenleafprime I sent you. I need to get some mileage out of all this research.

Jason

·
Registered
197 Posts
It's about damn time......Just kidding Sqidd. You help has been most valuable. Nice write up. Now I will go a read it several more times. :worship

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oh thank you!! Thank you for this and all your hard work!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
good work as always Jason :bigthumbsup bravo :clap

·
Registered
92 Posts
Very nice sir!! Thank you!!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
The Setup
  • Buy a set of the FRPP strut bushings (the OEM GT500 ones) M-18183-A because your stock GT ones will start clunking with the heavier springs over time and you will want these eventually anyway. The second reason to get the strut mounts is that it will prevent you from having to compress your stock springs to get your stock ones off. You won’t have to buy a compressor, borrow one, pay a shop to do it, etc. You can install the lowering springs on the struts without a compressor because they are shorter. Going this route is a LOT easier than swapping stuff off of your stock struts. You will simply be removing them and putting them on the shelf. $60-70ish
  • Get a set of OEM upper strut nuts from the dealer. You are getting them so you don’t have to remove the stock springs from the stock struts. $10 (a guess).
  • Get a set of camber bolts $30
Anyone know the part number on strut mount nuts? It's 2 total. I've looked but can only find the ones that bolt the strut assembly to the shock tower, 8 in total for those which aren't the ones we're looking for here. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh if anyone wanted to know the GT500 strut mounts are $60 for both at CJPony Parts. FRONT STRUT MOUNTS SHELBY GT500 PAIR 2005-2010 - CJ Pony Parts, Inc.

·
Registered
742 Posts
First of all, thank you for your sacrifices in helping the Mustang brand stay at the top of the game. Though this great information is free to us, it wasn't for you. Somebody should write a song about you or at least throw you a great party! :yelwacko:

Got questions...
1. If one can spend a couple hundred bucks over the GT500 shocks, would the Steeda non-adjustable shocks be a better choice to match the Steeda sport/ultralite springs?
2. Since the strut tower brace was not mentioned, does this mean that strut tower braces are not worth the money?

Thanks again!!! :bigthumbsup

GLF's store is gonna get stormed by Mustang fans! Last one in is a smelly rotten rice...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Bought the GT500 shocks/struts. It came out to $99.98 cause of shipping. $75ish would have been nice but I won't complain.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I can answer the last question. Strut tower braces are for looks. Only in the most sever stiff spring race car applications will connecting the strut tower to the roll cage bracing do any good. There simply is too little force applied at the end of the tower in the direction of the opposite tower for a rod connecting the towers to actually apply any force in line with the brace. Any movement applied perpendicular to the brace is so small and the brace so weak in that direction as to render it useless.

All that said some of them look cool so in fun put one on. But don't come on here and tell me you could feel the difference.:nono:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I can answer the last question. Strut tower braces are for looks. Only in the most sever stiff spring race car applications will connecting the strut tower to the roll cage bracing do any good. There simply is too little force applied at the end of the tower in the direction of the opposite tower for a rod connecting the towers to actually apply any force in line with the brace. Any movement applied perpendicular to the brace is so small and the brace so weak in that direction as to render it useless.

All that said some of them look cool so in fun put one on. But don't come on here and tell me you could feel the difference.:nono:
I agree. When I put my BMR strut brace on, I didn't notice anything. Just looks. I noticed a slight difference when I did the A-Arm Brace though. But only slight...

My pennies.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Just got the Steeda Sport Springs and GLP's complete kit.
Brenspeed is installing them on 6/23 together with the Kooks 3" system I ordered from them. This is gonna be a fun summer! I'll share my impression after then. This thread deserves a sticky!

Thanks Sqidd! Thanks GreenLeafPrime! You guys are awsome!

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

·
Registered
186 Posts
I bought my GT500 shocks/struts from GreenLeaf today. Even though I don't have the cash to complete the package at this time, I wanted to go ahead and buy them. Would hate to wait a year and then the GT500 stuff is all gone and I can't buy them so cheap anymore. That would suck, and it happened to me before. Never again!

Thanks again Sqidd! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
186 Posts
1. If one can spend a couple hundred bucks over the GT500 shocks, would the Steeda non-adjustable shocks be a better choice to match the Steeda sport/ultralite springs?
IIRC, Sqidd said in not so many words that for a street car the GT500 shocks/struts and Ultralight spring combo was the best bang for the buck. Anything else is overkill and over priced. He even said he would run this setup if his car didn't have higher demands than a normal hard driven street car (Uphill paved road racing). My guess answer to your question is, don't waste your money, and I'm confident Sqidd will say the same.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
BTW... I opted for the Steeda Sport springs which is only 5 lbs/inch higher rate than the Ultralites springs since I carry 200 lbs additional weight from the convertible top mechanism and sub-frame connectors, and 50 lbs in the front from the Saleen Supercharger. Plus I'll take long family trips with a full trunk with this car.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Thank you for your efforts and generous offer.

Query:

"The GT500 setup" includes exactly what? Struts and shocks?

• Locate, choose and purchase a rear swaybar. There are TONS of them out there and the only difference between the cheapest one and the most expensive one is some bling (or adjustability). They all work equally well. Most people will want to use a 22-22.2mm (7/8in) rear swaybar. If you are comfortable with throttle controlled oversteer and plan on driving the crap out of the car you will want to go for a 24mm or larger swaybar. Here is a list of rear swaybar sources, pricing, etc. $150-330
OEM GT500 07-09 Coupe rear swaybar 24mm $USED

Steeda Heavy Duty Rear 22.2mm $144-160

Steeda Comp Rear w- Endlinks 25mm $310-330

H&R Rear w-Endlinks 25mm $300

BMR Rear w-Endlinks 22mm $270

Helwig Rear 25.4mm $211

Helwig Rear Adjustable 25.4mm $180

Summit Racing SUM-720224 25.4mm $199

Edelbrock Rear w-Endlinks 22.2mm $190

Stillen Rear ??mm $152

Stillen Rear Adjustable ??mm $230

Eibach Rear 22.2mm $150

Seems to me the H&R rear bar is 26mm.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
BTW... I opted for the Steeda Sport springs which is only 5 lbs/inch higher rate than the Ultralites springs since I carry 200 lbs additional weight from the convertible top mechanism and sub-frame connectors, and 50 lbs in the front from the Saleen Supercharger. Plus I'll take long family trips with a full trunk with this car.

they were the springs i was thinking about getting myself. Me being an automatic vert with a blower, i've gotta be near 4,000 lbs

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have the supercharger 10 rib belt drive and the 3v/GT500 intake to get into production and they should have been done already.
Ive been dying to get my hands dirty since SEMA is fast approaching. I think your frontend mods really threw your timing off considerably. Ive had my hands so full of late that I forgot all about it for 2 months. :laughlitt

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anyone know the part number on strut mount nuts? It's 2 total. I've looked but can only find the ones that bolt the strut assembly to the shock tower, 8 in total for those which aren't the ones we're looking for here. Any help would be appreciated.

Oh if anyone wanted to know the GT500 strut mounts are $60 for both at CJPony Parts. FRONT STRUT MOUNTS SHELBY GT500 PAIR 2005-2010 - CJ Pony Parts, Inc.
I found it. Took some searching. Top Strut Nut Part #: W520215 S440

1 - 20 of 138 Posts