Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey fellas if ya know anyone with a stock new gto, and youre an experienced drag racer tell them to keep their 450hp, i know 3 people with em and the best time any of them can muster is a 13.70 on true radial.. was at the track sunday and got a few nice pics of my 05 puttin a hurtin on him. so basically moral of the story find someone with a stock gto if ur car is stick bet em some cash, i bet you can even get spotted out due to the hp difference and go home smiling.. damn ford hit the nail on the head with these cars
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Pretty Bold statement to say that they are junk. Last magazine write up I saw had them 1.5 sec. faster in the quarter. I think it was "Road and Track". They had a shootout of sorts with the Stang, Charger and GTO.

I say they have no curb appeal. Darn right ugly, but I would be respecting them with a "stock" GT.
I added the edit to ask you:? are you sure they were '06 models?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
Pretty Bold statement to say that they are junk. Last magazine write up I saw had them 1.5 sec. faster in the quarter. I think it was "Road and Track". They had a shootout of sorts with the Stang, Charger and GTO.

I say they have no curb appeal. Darn right ugly, but I would be respecting them with a "stock" GT.
I added the edit to ask you:? are you sure they were '06 models?
The biggest difference I have seen is the GTO by 0.2 in the quarter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Junk????

With equal drivers, the stock GTO is faster than the Stock Mustang by a small margin. I know many mustang guys ( or gals ) do not like it , but it is true.

In my opinion, the GTO is not junk because it is a 400hp rear wheel drive car. That alone deserves some respect.

If you want a sleeper preformance car that will draw absolutely no attention, the GTO is your car. The looks are bland, but that can be a good thing in certian situations. Look at how many street races you could win because people think it is Bland am or a Cavlear...

In short, it is not junk, it is just ugly........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Junk? Awwww, c'mon man.....
Go drive one and then call 'em junk. They're GREAT IMO and I'm sorry to say, a much nicer interior and ride than our '05's. Go sit in one yourself and see. Go further and test drive one, if you can.....if your blood doesn't run hot then check for a pulse!

Helluva lot of performance for an 'old-fashioned' pushrod V8. And some great other hardware to back it up. Go over to http://www.ls1gto.com and read all the drag racing stories of stock vs. stock Mustangs and GTO's and you'll find far more kill stories there than you will here.

So its not everyone's cup of tea to look at. Beauty is subjective, man, and some people like a stealthier approach....imagine driving a performance car that most cops don't even look twice at and you'll see the benefits!

Take the subjective "its ugly" statement away and most people are hard pressed to come up with anything else negative about the car. Personally I think they look pretty sharp from certain angles, they're just not "retro" and therefor, by definition, most of us '05 Mustang fans won't appreciate the look.

Why'd I end up with a Mustang GT? Both ended up with pluses and minuses in my book (that were purely personal opinion and not worth going in to here) that made them come out about equal, and the 'Stang was cheaper, and the Pontiac sales manager was a ******** (a trait endemic to the breed, I'm told)!

A lot of GTO owners look down on us Mustang drivers as snobbish and that just kills me. In this day and age when OPEC, the Fed, Insurance companies etc. are doing there best to threaten our muscle car heritage and our ability to buy a fine driving machine in this class, I applaud any manufacturer with the stones to make a wicked V8 rear-wheel drive manual-trans-option speed machine for the public - dangit man, we're bruthas with these folks fer cripe's sake......so if u got 2 h8 sumthin y not h8 ricers insted?? :gringreen

(sob)...why can't we all....just....get along!....(sob)........:weeps

I DO agree that "damn Ford hit the nail on the head" with our cars, noo argument there...buuuuuttt....hey your GT ain't exactly stock like that GTO was,is it? Still got that K&N installed? Counts as a mod right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Gig4Fun said:
I say they have no curb appeal. Darn right ugly, but I would be respecting them with a "stock" GT.
The Mustang is to Angelina Jolie :drool: what the GTO is to Rosanne Barr. :yakyak:

In fact, wish the goat's "stealth" included invisibility
............................................................:evilchuck
But hey, like Mopars too & would say worse about the charger even with 2 hemi's in it . :help:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
haha roseann barr... and road and track didnt know what they were doin, my car is bonestock and does consistent 13.60's, i dont see any stock gto's doin that,, and yes it is the ls2 model.. the independant read stops u from getting any half decent 60' times, and the car is a brick..if uve driven one, and i have, the shifter feels like your going to snap it in half every time u shift, and the throw is similar to that of a mack truck. in my oinion they did the original no justice in making this grand am with a nice motor. that and i figured id get some gm fans heated :).. its actually 450hp whoever said 400 :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another funny part of it is the guy who i was racing at the track actually traded his lightning that he used to whip my ass with for the goat...but i do keep in mind this is a stock gto no reflash or anything, ive heard them making crazy numbers with a reflash and some minor bolt ons.but out of the factory theyre pigs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Well, the proof's in the pudding as they say...OK so you drove one, and you beat one, and nice pic..guess that wraps it up, you're right! Hush mah mouth!

Man I still think they're FINE machines in other ways than the track tho, as is the Stang. Either way thanks for the education!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,820 Posts
:thumbdown Gm's designs have been gettin ugly over time. my .02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
Stoenr said:
:thumbdown Gm's designs have been gettin ugly over time. my .02
Agree even the new Vette IMHO. I like the curvey body & hidden headlights of the C-5 previous Gen model better than this new C-6 version with it's camaro/rice burner exposed lamps & a steering wheel staight from the Malibu.

That's why the Z06 has to have 505 hp .

Ugly truth is GM , Chrysler & even Ford got away from cars , especially muscle , in favor of trucks & SUV's .

Ford would be in Deep **** if it wasn't for the Stang. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
actually i raced two drove one and beat two.. and from the owners of three of them have heard nothing but dissappointment.. but stoopy ill educate you anytime you would like, sounds like you could use it :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Thats why I'm here so feel free, man! What mods do you have, is it just the K&N? Auto or Manual? And what 60-foot times are you getting?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
I drove a GTO and was frankly impressed with the power.
So much that I actually looked into buying it.
The things I didnt like was the clutch and stick.
Felt like a toy and the clutch was very shall we say cheap feeling.
The other thing I didnt like was the look.
After being around it for awhile it looked to Japan to me.
Needless to say I stopped by the Ford Dealer and Behold a GT on the lot.
The rest is history.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Hmmmm. From what I remember, the clutch felt OK to me, but found I couldn't heel-and-toe with my right foot because of the distance between the brake and gas pedal. No problem in the Mustang.

What killed it for me was the nice comfy back seat that you CAN'T get in and out of, and the only way to move the front seat forward or back is with really slowwwwww electric motors. When I popped the trunk open and saw the gas tank was located right behind the rear seat (like, up high, I mean!) where my kid would be sitting, that was a big turnoff for sure. Plus the big ol' speakers there that take up half the little trunk room. Interior was nice but the stereo was confusing to me, and with nutzo traffic in my area the last thing I wanna be doing is staring at buttons trying to figure them out as I'm plowing down the road.

Major drawback seems to be parts availability when some things break on these cars like the drive-by-wire throttle system. Most of that stuff has to come from Ozzieland and that's what finally killed it for me, although this is a GM car technically, being really Australian was a stretch - I want US-made stuff, even tho it's from a cool country. Styling aside, all the little things I didn't care for seemed like things that wouldn't necessarily exist if it was more standardized USA-GM style.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,724 Posts
The GTO's backseat was pretty comfortable. I'm 5' 8" and I wasn't cramped in. But these cars aren't meant to haul 4 or 5 people around.:shigrin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
Stoopy said:
Hmmmm. From what I remember, the clutch felt OK to me, but found I couldn't heel-and-toe with my right foot because of the distance between the brake and gas pedal. No problem in the Mustang.

What killed it for me was the nice comfy back seat that you CAN'T get in and out of, and the only way to move the front seat forward or back is with really slowwwwww electric motors. When I popped the trunk open and saw the gas tank was located right behind the rear seat (like, up high, I mean!) where my kid would be sitting, that was a big turnoff for sure. Plus the big ol' speakers there that take up half the little trunk room. Interior was nice but the stereo was confusing to me, and with nutzo traffic in my area the last thing I wanna be doing is staring at buttons trying to figure them out as I'm plowing down the road.

Major drawback seems to be parts availability when some things break on these cars like the drive-by-wire throttle system. Most of that stuff has to come from Ozzieland and that's what finally killed it for me, although this is a GM car technically, being really Australian was a stretch - I want US-made stuff, even tho it's from a cool country. Styling aside, all the little things I didn't care for seemed like things that wouldn't necessarily exist if it was more standardized USA-GM style.

Your reamrks are exactly how I felt. I almost got one, but the backseat and trunk were the killers. My kids don't drive with me often, but a car that they can get in is a must, and the GTO seat motor is slow, they need a manual way to do it. Plus there was no way to get a stroller in the trunk, plus the 92 octane would suck right now. Otherwise it was a very nice car, great fit an finish and seemed solid. To me it had a BMW feel.
 
1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top