Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am very curious and wondering about a little idiosyncracy that is SUPPOSED to be common to GT's equipped with manual transmissions only:

A friend of mine tells me that on his GT, when downshifting from 5th gear to 4th, he gets NO throttle response when he pushes in the clutch and taps the gas pedal to raise the RPM's for the downshift. Nothing happens. And the order in which he does it doesn't matter

- pushing in the clutch and then tapping the gas, he gets no response

- pushing in the cutch, pulling the stick into neutral or 4th, he gets nothing

I was dumbfounded by this because my car acts perfectly normal (instant response and RPM's go up as I tap the gas and pull down into 4th to downshift) in this scenario. He swears this is a common problem according to all the information and discussion he's been involved with on other Mustang boards (not here). Apparently, mine is the only one in the country that acts properly!

What I'm wondering is, has this been reported here before (a search didn't turn anything up but I'm also not sure what kind of description to search for).

What I'm REALLY wondering - and there could be something to this for sure - since my car is a bit newer (one of the last '05's made) if this was a glitch in the firmware computer controls that may have been corrected and updated at some point in production. My build date was 7/20/05.

It's be much appreciated if any of you fellow manual-trans GT owners would be willing to comment as to whether yours acts normally or not in this case, and what your build date was. Knowing what happens when you mix software engineers with production deadlines, it's not unlikely at all to expect there to be a few bugs in the first model year of a computer-controlled car, and this sounds suspiciously like a possible issue that was resolved but may not have been made known to owners of cars that were impacted.

Your feedback, results and build dates are very much appreciated!

·
Registered
241 Posts
My build date was sometime in Early Feb 05, and I don't have this problem either with my manual GT. Never heard of it. Sounds like the computer controlled throttle has a problem(what, a software glitch? Never!).

·
Registered
271 Posts
Don't have the "problem"

Mine was built in late October 2004, I took delivery on Thanksgiving weekend 2004, and have never had this problem with my manual transmission.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'm not sure if I have that. I did notice that when I downshift into 4th, that I have to push a little more on the gas than I should have to, to get the RPMS matched. I'll try it again today to see if I abs0olutely get 0 throttle response.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, gents. Actually, my description wasn't quite right - this is where he says he gets a long delay in throttle response, like close to a second or so. Is this the much-discussed throttle response delay?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I haven't noticed any lack of throttle response downshifting from 5th to 4th. I would be much more concerned with 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd as this is where I do a lot of downshifting. I'll try again later and respond if I find anything to report.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I haven't noticed that, but I'll have to experiment to be sure. Of course, if I'm downshifting from 5th, it's usually to 3rd! :laughlitt Got to go where the horses live...

Oh yeah, build date in june of 05

·
Registered
132 Posts
I hadn't really thought about it, so I checked it out a couple of times this morning. Whaddya know? I stepped on the clutch, downshifted, and hit the gas. No response. When I double pumped the gas, however, there it was. Interesting.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Yeah I have to double pump it too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'll have to test too

I'll have to test this tomorrow. I have an 06 (built Aug 05). The only odd thing I had happen was a down shift from 5th to 3rd, on the gas hard, and it dumped the car into "limp home" mode. The little wrench dash light (throttle body light) came on. Had to pull over and shut her down, she was fine after a restart.
I'll report back after I test this other issue.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My build date was the first week of June 05, and I don't have this problem.

~Mo

·
Registered
122 Posts
December 6 04 build date. Shifts fine. Throttles fine. Can't figure out what the problem you guys are describing. Are you saying at the moment of down shift to 4th, moving the "gas pedal" downward has no effect on engine RPM's?
Although on a slow roll 2nd into 1st its quite clunky. Is that normal?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I noticed that if I shifted down from 5th to 4th or 4th to 3rd and floored it, there was a small delay (maybe 1 sec.) in acceleration response. After I installed Steeda CAI and Xcal tune, that went away.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I have to go check mine out now... it definately sounds likesomething that can be tuned away...

The limp home mode perimeters can also be tuned away / more leniant (sp?), the perimeters are also moved with TCS off!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Played with the downshift extensively this weekend. I've got no delay whatsoever downsifting between any gear. If i'm in fifth and come off the gas then clutch out, a bump of the pedal immediately brings the rpms up. If I keep steady pressure on the gas and clutch out, the rpms immediately come up as soon as it releases. If I'm putting heavy pressure on the gas and clutch out, the rpms head for the limiter. It works the same way in every gear. Mine was built in June 05Very strange. I wonder where the glitch is, mine or the ones with the delay?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Mine too works just as expected, no delay. Was driving 70-80 MPH in 5th and downshifted to 4th and even to 3d with immedeate response, NICE response! :happyhapp

'But officer, I was doing research, checking something out for a friend...' :rolleyes:

Then again I have every 05 SCT tune there is and more... :tongue

1 - 16 of 16 Posts