Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's not known if the OP brought the car in and told them to fix it thinking it would be covered under warranty or if he told them call me with the explanation of the problem and cost if it's not under warranty.

Either way I think the key issue is what all the warranty covers (electrical?) and whether or not the warranty covers aftermarket parts. The car only has 15000 miles on it so it is pretty much a new car.

I would be frustrated too but normally things that go wrong with cars are hardly ever covered under warranty. I think extended warranties are kind of a rip off but that's a whole different soap box.
I brought it in under the impression that the repairs would be covered under warranty.

What I hear developing in this thread are two separate discussions.

My main concern at the moment concerns Minnesota's Truth in Repair laws. Since, in this case, the estimate was essentially "$0" for factory warranty work, so the service shop had a legal obligation to tell me I'd have to pay out of pocket before they did the work.

Dealing with the dealership that sold me the car is going to be another, less "black and white" struggle. Everything on the vehicle worked when I bought it, and trying to prove that they had some kind of obligation to go over the car with a fine-toothed comb is going to be difficult.

What gets me is that, on this repair bill from Dealer #2, the "Wiring Repair" accounts for $278, yet at the bottom, there is a total for $778.50 for "Labor Amount."

Stapled on the back of this invoice is the previous invoice for header installation and an oil change, both of which I already paid for. I'm wondering if they charged me twice?? I need to see if these numbers add up weird.

EDIT: Figured out the numbers. The dealership did, indeed, charge me twice for work that was already done.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I brought it in under the impression that the repairs would be covered under warranty.

What I hear developing in this thread are two separate discussions.

My main concern at the moment concerns Minnesota's Truth in Repair laws. Since, in this case, the estimate was essentially "$0" for factory warranty work, so the service shop had a legal obligation to tell me I'd have to pay out of pocket before they did the work.

Dealing with the dealership that sold me the car is going to be another, less "black and white" struggle. Everything on the vehicle worked when I bought it, and trying to prove that they had some kind of obligation to go over the car with a fine-toothed comb is going to be difficult.

What gets me is that, on this repair bill from Dealer #2, the "Wiring Repair" accounts for $278, yet at the bottom, there is a total for $778.50 for "Labor Amount."

Stapled on the back of this invoice is the previous invoice for header installation and an oil change, both of which I already paid for. I'm wondering if they charged me twice?? I need to see if these numbers add up weird.

EDIT: Figured out the numbers. The dealership did, indeed, charge me twice for work that was already done.
Your story is starting to get confusing. Did you take the car in for them to install headers and then asked for them to check the wiring issue? Or was the header install a previous trip?

Im just having trouble understanding how you paid this amount of money without even knowing what the specific charges were.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
I will say if it was caused by an aftermarket piece of equipment a diagnosis charge is fair. Opinion only, no legal clue. At least if they did charge you 2x that'll help. Keep us posted

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Your story is starting to get confusing. Did you take the car in for them to install headers and then asked for them to check the wiring issue? Or was the header install a previous trip?

Im just having trouble understanding how you paid this amount of money without even knowing what the specific charges were.
My apologies for the confusion.

I brought the car in a couple of weeks ago to have them install headers and complete routine maintenance the car was scheduled for.

Since it was already in, I asked them to check out the parking sensors, since they hadn't been working for a while. They found that the module for the parking sensors wasn't receiving power, and initially thought the gauge cluster was to blame; they replaced that under warranty. I got the car back from them with the parking sensors still inoperable, but with the headers installed and routine service completed.

I was told at that time they had to order in some new parts, and I'd need to wait a 5 days or so. I took my time in bringing it back to have the sensors repaired -- It wasn't critically affecting the function of the car, so it wasn't a giant priority. All of this work was considered a single invoice by the dealership, even though it was completed in two separate visits.

Now, the plot thickens.

I just got off the phone with the service manager of Dealer #2, and he gave me a bit more detail about what had been done. Apparently it wasn't an aftermarket module of any kind -- an aftermarket relay had been installed in the parking sensor circuit, and was robbing them of power. They removed the relay and restored the circuit back to factory condition.

With this clarification in mind, it dawned on me that I had heated seats installed in the car back in December through yet another Ford dealership in the area (Dealer #3), I noted that an aftermarket relay could have been the result of this work.

Sure enough, I went out to the car, and the heated seats no longer work.

Dealer #1 is now totally out of the equation -- the "aftermarket module" was really a relay that was installed by an automotive customization shop, and billed through Dealer #3.

Dealer #2 is refunding me about $580 for having double charged me on this invoice. This means I'm still out about $280.

I'm going to call up the shop that installed the heated seats and not only gripe about the wiring having been done incorrectly, but also gripe about their wiring now having cost me 280 dollars, and coerce them into reimbursing me for it.

This got complicated fast. My thanks to anyone still following along.

·
Registered
612 Posts

I brought the car in a couple of weeks ago to have them install headers and complete routine maintenance the car was scheduled for.

Since it was already in, I asked them to check out the parking sensors, since they hadn't been working for a while. They found that the module for the parking sensors wasn't receiving power, and initially thought the gauge cluster was to blame; they replaced that under warranty. I got the car back from them with the parking sensors still inoperable, but with the headers installed and routine service completed.

I was told at that time they had to order in some new parts, and I'd need to wait a 5 days or so. I took my time in bringing it back to have the sensors repaired -- It wasn't critically affecting the function of the car, so it wasn't a giant priority. All of this work was considered a single invoice by the dealership, even though it was completed in two separate visits.

Now, the plot thickens.

I just got off the phone with the service manager of Dealer #2, and he gave me a bit more detail about what had been done. Apparently it wasn't an aftermarket module of any kind -- an aftermarket relay had been installed in the parking sensor circuit, and was robbing them of power. They removed the relay and restored the circuit back to factory condition.

With this clarification in mind, it dawned on me that I had heated seats installed in the car back in December through yet another Ford dealership in the area (Dealer #3), I noted that an aftermarket relay could have been the result of this work.

Dealer #1 is now totally out of the equation -- the "aftermarket module" was really a relay that was installed by an automotive customization shop, and billed through Dealer #3.

Dealer #2 is refunding me about $580 for having double charged me on this invoice. This means I'm still out about $280.

I'm going to call up the shop that installed the heated seats and not only gripe about the wiring having been done incorrectly, but also gripe about their wiring now having cost me 280 dollars, and coerce them into reimbursing me for it.

Seems to me that if you got out of this for only $280 and everything works aside from your heated seats, I would call it good and leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I paid to have them installed, and the work is barely six months old.

I'll have to dig back through my files and records to see what kind of warranty they gave me on parts and labor.

Though, yes, I agree, being out $280 isn't the end of the universe. I'd like my seats to work again though. It gets extremely cold here in the winter.

EDIT: All of the work done by the customizing shop has a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. Gonna talk to them in a bit.
EDIT EDIT: He's gone until Monday. I guess I'll have to wait for the final word.

·
Registered
100 Posts
And this is why I usually only go to 1 dealer, unless they treat me wrong. Stays much less complicated.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Not to a **** but i always say this... Dont buy used cars.

Never have i once owned a used car.

My last mustang, i put the rear into a curb, had the axle and some other stuff replaced.

Car never drove the same again.

Next buyer has no clue what happened and likely never will.

Unless its a personal friend selling his baby, always be weary of used cars.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Agree w/ PB, when you buy used, you're always taking a chance that everything will turnout alright. I doubt the dealership noticed there was a problem with the sensors when it was sold. Most of the time they do little else on the car except detail it. Unless its a certified used car, then it goes through an in depth inspection, and comes with a warranty.

Since it wasn't certified, that means this issue is on you. It was your responsibility to check the car out properly before signing on the dotted line. That includes testing out all the accessories, including back up sensors. Don't feel bad, many people don't do a good job of that when buying used.

Unfortunately buying an extended warranty wasn't a good idea either. Obviously extended warranties are big business for dealerships because most cars never experience a major problem until after warranty has expired.

I have a 2011 without the sensors, and would have foregone them in this case, as opposed to paying $900.

I'm sounding like a *****, but I'm really not trying to, that's just how I see it. Good luck the rest of the way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I paid to have them installed, and the work is barely six months old.

I'll have to dig back through my files and records to see what kind of warranty they gave me on parts and labor.

Though, yes, I agree, being out $280 isn't the end of the universe. I'd like my seats to work again though. It gets extremely cold here in the winter.

EDIT: All of the work done by the customizing shop has a 3 year, 36,000 mile warranty. Gonna talk to them in a bit.
EDIT EDIT: He's gone until Monday. I guess I'll have to wait for the final word.
I am glad you were able to catch the double invoice and find out a little more about the situation. The only issue I really see is having gone to 3 different dealers for various work. I would really try to keep it to one dealer. I guess up there in Minnesota heated seats are a necessity :gringreen

F

·
0 Posts
I would contact DEYSHA,our Ford Customer Service Rep on this site,I would run this repair issue by her, and get her take on what happened,she is a very nice lady, and has helped out many of us with our problems with Ford & there dealerships,give her all the info, and let her do her thing.
Thank you for the mention, 5.0 Coyote!

Read the warranty and see what it says about aftermarket parts.

Also see if it says anything about the state of the car when it was sold to you; and aftermarket parts that were in the car at that time.

Also check local laws about disclosure of repair cost BEFORE the work is done. In a lot of places, they are actually required to tell you before they spend your money, and get your authorization to do so.
None of our Ford Warranties cover aftermarket parts, JBert. Aftermarket parts will not automatically void “all” of your warranties; however, if it causes a part to fail, that specific repair will not be covered. You can refer to your warranty guide on page 13 for further info, and always speak to your service manager first.

Now, the plot thickens.

I’m happy to get this documented for you, KDMatt. Please PM me with your VIN, dealer (#3), mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha

21 - 32 of 32 Posts