Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface: I'm used to working on overly complicated but over-engineered German cars.

My ipod was stuck in the indexing-loop-of-death and a quick google seemed to indicate that a sync 'reboot' was in order. Okay, no problem, what's the button combo on the head unit to accomplish this task oh wise google? Oh there is none, you have to pull a fuse or pull the battery cable. Huh? Really? That's the best you got?

Okay. Fine.

Where's the fuse box? It's located in the passenger kick panel. Only, to access it you have to pull a fussy trim panel, lift some weird piece of paper with velcro attached to it, lift another piece of paper with tape holding it to the fuse box cover.

Okay. Fine. ****** half-ass design, but fine.

WTF! How in the hell are you supposed to get your head down in the passenger foot well, turn it to look up and get your arms up there? And to top it all off, it's upside down and they couldn't be bothered to put a fuse puller in the panel cover.

Wow. This is the absolute worst design I've ever seen. There's more than enough room that it could've been mounted under the glove box by the firewall.

Previous german cars, twist a knob half turn, remove panel locate plastic fuse puller clipped to the back of panel and look at the convenient diagram pasted on the back of the cover. 30sec tops.

Time to pull fuse for sync: 20min plus lots of sweating and swearing.

Okay, rant over. But being a microsoft product, I'm sure I'll need to pull this fuse at least three more times in the next year.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I couldn't agree more about its bad placement....

Though, it does work out perfectly for me to tie in my radar's hard-wire line. :winks

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Time to pull fuse for sync: 20min plus lots of sweating and swearing.

Okay, rant over. But being a microsoft product, I'm sure I'll need to pull this fuse at least three more times in the next year.
LOL. By your second or third time doing this you should be able to get it down to 10 minutes. Assuming, naturally, you put a fuse puller in your glove box.:smartass:

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
OMG not another criticism on the perfect Mustang. What is happening to this stie? Surely people are not forming an opinion to the contrary!

·
Registered
719 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've had to reboot my SYNC system once, last September I think. I haven't had to since then, luckily. I assumed I needed something to pull out the fuse so I bought a little pack of them with the puller. I would have been frustrated too if I expected one to be in the fuse box; but that only makes sense lol.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
OMG not another criticism on the perfect Mustang. What is happening to this stie? Surely people are not forming an opinion to the contrary!
Stop trolling please...seriously, it's getting old...and fast!:nono:

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've had to reboot my SYNC system once, last September I think. I haven't had to since then, luckily. I assumed I needed something to pull out the fuse so I bought a little pack of them with the puller. I would have been frustrated too if I expected one to be in the fuse box; but that only makes sense lol.
You do NOT have to pull the fuse to reboot Sync. You can reset to factory settings by following the directions at the link I posted above.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
No need to pull any fuses with the SYNC system with the screen. Two separate reboot buttons on the system. Master reset and system reset. Both very easy to push. I dont know if you dont have a screen.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I've never gotten into the situation described, but if the Sync was looping, you may not be able to get to the screen with the buttons. Just like Windows, sometimes I still need to power off because it simply won't respond (or hasn't in the allotted finite amount of time).

·
Registered
353 Posts
has there ever been an update to the sync version shipped with our stangs? I wonder if we can download and update it. If so, that could have fixed your prob.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As a professional computer programmer and someone who has messed with a LOT of electronics and computer hardware over the years, I find the lack of a button or button combo to do a soft reboot of sync to be a pretty big oversight.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
As a professional computer programmer and someone who has messed with a LOT of electronics and computer hardware over the years, I find the lack of a button or button combo to do a soft reboot of sync to be a pretty big oversight.
Especially where Microsoft is involved! If Ford were to list their corporate regrets number 1 would be the Edsel and number 2 would be Microsoft!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, my official title is 'Microsoft Platform Engineer', which is just a fancy title for sys engineer, so I'm not surprised at having to reboot a Microsoft product. But the lack of a soft reboot is glaring. I'm guessing it probably does exist in some engineering menu that nobody's found out about yet.

Reading up on 'reset to factory default' didn't sound like something I wanted to do ... pairing up my phone, storing all my stations, etc. I will take a look at that sync forum though.

I don't have nav, just shaker 500, so no reboot buttons.

Does reset to factory default leave your specific settings intact?

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Cool link. :bigthumbsup Once on that site and signed up, where is the forum navigation at?

Thanks.
Once you have an account and you are logged in, click the "community" box.

There is a factory reset and master reset described in the Sync manual.

I have had sync lock once and I turned off the ignition and opened the door and closed it. If you don't open the door it won't turn off for a half hour or so.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Had to pull fuse #3 just a short while ago. I would get the message "speech commands not available with this device" from the sync lady when trying to select songs on my iphone via voice commands. This functionality had been working perfectly for a whole month until just last night. Apparently this is a known issue with sync and the quick and "easy" fix is to pull the sync fuse. As already described in this thread, this fuse is quite the pain to get to. Luckily I found that there was a fuse pulling tool in the fuse panel cover, so that made things a bit easier.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Had to pull fuse #3 just a short while ago. I would get the message "speech commands not available with this device" from the sync lady when trying to select songs on my iphone via voice commands. This functionality had been working perfectly for a whole month until just last night. Apparently this is a known issue with sync and the quick and "easy" fix is to pull the sync fuse. As already described in this thread, this fuse is quite the pain to get to. Luckily I found that there was a fuse pulling tool in the fuse panel cover, so that made things a bit easier.
Hey guys, there is a person lurking around that apparently is a Sync master, screen name FordIVTteam, and the following thread shows how to do a master reset WITHOUT pulling fuses on both the standard and navigation setups.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru.../302620-sync-wont-pick-up-ipod-sometimes.html

1 - 20 of 39 Posts