Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if anyone deals with Hagerty or not, but I feel I need to share my experience with them.
I just bought a 64 1/2 which is in dire need of help. It's pretty rusted and needs new rear frame rails, new interior, and a ton of body work. Luckily the motor is in decent shape!
Anyway, I was shopping around for insurance.
Hagerty Insurance did not like the fact that I wouldn't always park the car in my garage. So I should weld in my garage? I'm sure my homeowners insurers would love that.
According to them, I wasn't to leave the car parked outside overnight, ever. They couldn't understand why anyone would purchase a collectible vehicle and not park it in a garage. I understand that, to a point.
They denied me because I wouldn't guarantee to park it indoors every night! I guess I could never stay at a hotel, or God forbid, visit a friend overnight.
Luckily I'm a veteran, have USAA, and got it insured for an additional 91 cents a month when added to my policy.
I just cannot believe how pompous the folks at Hagerty are.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
They also won't insure your old cars unless you also own new ones. They turned me down since all 5 of my cars are over 20 years old.

Aren't they supposedly the old car insurers? Don't they 'encourage' you to drive your old cars? Yes, but just don't drive them very much.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
The 2 car rule...the only place that would insure my Mustang is State Farm. (just regular ole insurance) The collector car company's requires you to own at least one other ride. One says the 2nd ride has to be at least 14 yrs old.

I only have the '66. Hopefully i will get another soon, but will it be less then 14 yrs old?? And if its 12, then i have to sell & buy a newer ride every so often. Dumb rule i say. :yup:

I tried USAA but didn't qualify for car insurance....could get life ins tho, they said.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I've had Hagerty for 10 years and have always found them to be helpful and knowledgeable about the collector car hobby.

They have reasonable demands for insuring cars and those are set by the underwriters, not Hagerty and are similar to ALL the insurance company's that offer insurance for collectible automobiles.

This insurance is cheap and that is because they expect the insured to take reasonable precautions against damage or theft.

The insured CANNOT be your daily driver and you CANNOT drive the car to work ever.

The car MUST be sheltered from the elements or prying eyes. Most collector car thefts happen at home while the car is parked in the driveway.

They do cover the car when traveling, but just driving to a friends house to spend the night is not covered. At a motel parking lot while on a road trip is covered. Cant drive it to school but can drive it to family gatherings or car shows, parades, etc.

If you want to drive it everyday good luck on finding insurance for an agreed value. You probably won't find insurance for a collectible car.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
State Farm has no Agreed Value or Stated Value policy's here. I was told they will research the west coast prices and get a fair value that way. (if i was to total the car) They do add $$ for shipping it home tho. If its $100 or $1500, i do not know.

Not a word of the above is in my policy tho. Im going to talk to them about that before renewing. One thing i like is that in winter, its $35 for 6 months for Comp. Since its not driven & stays in the garage.

I asked State Farm about if i was to put $6,500 into a new paint job, do i need to tell them? I was told no, you have no certain dollar amount of insurance on your car. Its what we decide its worth. But we will listen to your side of the story and also look at your receipts.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Try Grundy, 10 times better than Hagerty, it's more for real collector car owners and less for the wine drinking auction vultures like Hagerty. Grundy Worldwide Insurance

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have mine through state farm, its an agreed value or stated policy, cost is fairly cheep and because of the classic plates i have on it i can drive it around anywhwere and its coverd so long as i dont go over the agreed upon milage per year, in my case thats 12k miles per year

·
Registered
94 Posts
grundy at least has unlimited miles per year which until they told me that i thought was unheard of. i got quotes from both hagerty and grundy and grundy was $800 less a year and $130 less than my current insurance thru infinity. hands down grundy sees alot better :bigthumbsup

Duke

·
Registered
55 Posts
My vote goes to Grundy also, grate rates and coverage. i was rearended last July and the claim process was painless and quick.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts