Ford Mustang Forum banner

Halogen or HID Headlamps?

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  412horses 
#1 ·
Ok this is probably a dumb question, but I bought a 2011 GT used. The driver side headlamp is out. How can I tell if my car has halogens or HIDs?

I know HIDs are pricey. If I have those and one is out on a 2011, is it by any chance covered by the warranty? I've never dealt with HIDs before as you can tell. :D

#2 ·
Hey, Columbus here too!

HID...

Halogen...

#7 ·
It's fairly unlikely the bulb burnt out - I'd say the ballast kicked the bucket. They work a lot like fluorescent bulbs, actually - and in those, 80% of the time when they don't work it's either the starter or the ballast (both of which are contained in the ballast unit on an HID setup).

#8 ·
Random question that's probably been answered many threads over. But since this one is active - How much would it cost the average joe to upgrade from Halogen to HID? Weren't people saying like $2-3k?

#9 ·
As hard as it is to believe, they are not pulling your leg with those figures. I initially ordered a 2011 and the dealer screwed up and the car came in without HIDs. The price to change them over was going to be just over $2000 for the parts alone, just over $3000 including labor. Needless to say I ended up reordering another car. Although it looks simple from the outside I guess everything behind the skin is totally different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.