Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 2003 v6 mustang with enough mods on it to make it look respectable. im tryin to make it look a little nicer at night by adding sum better looking headlights but im not sure which ones to get. i no that HIDs are better but is the better quality really worth the extra 200-300$ theyre gunna cost? And if halogens would b ok which brand is the best?

·
Registered
498 Posts
definitely go for the Hid's i have them in my foglights and headlights of Gt. I have 6000k it pretty much looks like factory hid's. changed the look of the front end alot at night my friends tell me it looks intimidating when i follow behind them. i got them at vvme.com 40bucks for the fogs 80 for the headlights cause they have bixenon with highbeams. in my opinion anything over 6000k looks ricey

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i checked out that website man it looks pretty legit
that looks perfect for what i wanna do
do u know what bulb size u got tho? and does that even make a difference?

·
Registered
498 Posts
i got h13s for my headlights and h10s for my fogs but i have an s197 so its going to be different for you. and they made a huge difference the halogens look like there off compared to these. people think my highbeams are on sometimes cause there so bright its mostly only the old cars cause there not used to xenon.

·
Banned
1,497 Posts
Check them out on ebay they are cheaper also I think you can just replace the bulbs for blue ones, If i'm not wrong i think you should use the 9007 not sure...:scratchchin

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Check them out on ebay they are cheaper also I think you can just replace the bulbs for blue ones, If i'm not wrong i think you should use the 9007 not sure...:scratchchin
just changing bulbs wont make your setup HID, most of those aftermarket bulbs damage/burn out the sockets because they draw so much current. not to mention the light will be blue, not white, and will look ricey.
i know your trying to help but ebay is not the answer to everything.

·
Banned
1,497 Posts
just changing bulbs wont make your setup HID, most of those aftermarket bulbs damage/burn out the sockets because they draw so much current. not to mention the light will be blue, not white, and will look ricey.
i know your trying to help but ebay is not the answer to everything.
Have you done it? also what are you trying to say with ebay is not the answer to everything??:scratchchin (personal q or what)

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
i think i agree with 232.. buying a full kit from say american muscle would be better than an ebay kit which may or may not have all that you need .. im not sure id trust ebay on this.. cheaper isnt always better

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Have you done it? also what are you trying to say with ebay is not the answer to everything??:scratchchin (personal q or what)
if you must know, i'm a mechanic and i see it all the time: kid goes to autozone/ebay/walmart etc., buys El Cheapo Kool Bloo halogen light bulbs for his tiburon, celica, whatever, they look cool for a month or two, and then his headlamps stop working. so even when they change their bulbs, the headlamps still dont work. thats when they bring the car to me, and i pull their socket harnesses out and show the customer how fried/black/burnt they are. THAT is what ebay will get you.

·
Banned
1,497 Posts
Alright... I'm getting the Kit.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
326 Posts
I got the HIDs from Stangmods i think. I love em. They are really bright with the high beams on, but not so bright that the low beams blind people. They have some kits without high beams, just low beams. So if you want high and low beams, make sure you get the right kit. Also, i can take a few pictures of where i put my ballasts (the power supply of the HIDs). But if you have normal colored fog lights like i do.... its looks funky.... haha.

·
Registered
70 Posts
232-K7 - I am so glad I read your comments about purchasing the proper equipment for this headlight project. That way I will know what to buy when I change mine over which is my next project. By the way, these kits everone is talking about, do they include the headlight housing as well, or does that have to be purchased separetly? I need to replace my housing because they are the faded clear ones.

Oddly enough, on an old 99 Protege we used to have, we put those bright blue bulbs in the car and it looked great. However, as described about 1 year later, even though they did not quit working, the harness was melted almost to the point where the bulb could not be removed, so I can confirm those statements.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have bought just the bulbs from ebay. The light is whiter, but not very bright at all. I ran them for 2 nights and I had to change back to halogens, seeing with them was very hard. I could only see like 3 car lengths ahead of me, it was dangerous. I agree that you should go full HID, don't let anyone tell you that you can buy just bulbs and get the same effect. They may look whiter when you look at them on your car, but they put out very little light.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
232-K7 - I am so glad I read your comments about purchasing the proper equipment for this headlight project. That way I will know what to buy when I change mine over which is my next project. By the way, these kits everone is talking about, do they include the headlight housing as well, or does that have to be purchased separetly? I need to replace my housing because they are the faded clear ones.

Oddly enough, on an old 99 Protege we used to have, we put those bright blue bulbs in the car and it looked great. However, as described about 1 year later, even though they did not quit working, the harness was melted almost to the point where the bulb could not be removed, so I can confirm those statements.

the HID kits dont come with headlamps, you'll have to buy them seperately.
if your looking to upgrade from the clear style, latemodelrestoration.com has factory 01-04 smoked headlamps for $140, and americanmuscle has even darker smoked headlamps for $200.

american muscle.com has a dual-beam HID kit for $280

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ford Mustang OEM Headlamps and HIDs Package

Is a kit from stangmods that includes the housing and bixenon HID.
If your going to buy both, buying the kit could save you a few dollars.:)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Also, if your going to buy from Ebay, try and find out what brands more reputable companys (ie: American Muscle; StandMods)
carry. That way you can search those brands.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Just some input, i got hids on my heads and fogs. I just put them in 3 weeks ago. They are great! I went with the 4000K's because i don't like the slight blue tint which are 6000K. My friend liked mine hids and decided to go cheap and bought his on craigslistwhich is the same as ebay and noticed that he had to cut and switch wires in order for the lights to work properly which sucks!! If anyone buys from a non reputable place, you may be wasting money. So in other words... if you get hids, get the Digital ballasts that are thinner and get 9007's for the headlights that are bixenon and 899's for the fogs. As for the fogs, I believe all 800 series bulbs will fit for the fogs. Don't forget to aim you lights too!! Hope this helps. Just my 2 pennies!!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
I have Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, I think that is the name. lol They work pretty well. They are much brighter than the stock lights are and they are a lot less than the HID kits. I think mine were $50-$60. Just a thought.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wow i only had like 1 reply from the 1st guy for like a week
i came back today and had like 17 replies lol
thanx for al the help and insight
when i 1st started thinkin bout this i had no idea what i was doin but now i think i might a nice kit i found, not from ebaym thats costin me about 120 to go to full HID
ill reply back with pics and ill answer any queestions any1 has bout the kit i bought and how it went

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and btw the proper lights from my car are the 9007 series bulbs
i had to ask the auto teacher at my school to go and look it up but that is 100% the right kind so i dont mind that it took me some extra time to get it right

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.