Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi yall, back again with more questions...

So I'm thinking about improving handling build for my '10 GT. I know that the stock springs and struts make this car like a monster truck, so I'm thinking of a set of Coilovers. I noticed that AM has the SR performance coilovers (yes...I know there are threads about this) and they are very budget friendly. However, I noticed there are really a mixed reviews about them. Should I get them? Are they worth the money? Are they going to be broken soon if i use it for daily even leave it on the softest settings? If anyone has used them it'd be great to leave a comment.

Also, braking is going to be another thing to improve. It would be nice to have the performance package 4 piston brembos on there. They do cost some money, but I saw there's quite a few of them listed on ebay. Should I get them...????

Thanks guys

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
For most of us, normal lowering springs and struts/shocks are fine; no real need for coilovers. In the past coilovers were mainly for racing applications where you couldn't get normal springs that were stiff enough. I guess these days their application has broadened but I would still be very leery of cheep ones, If it was my money, I'd spend it on normal springs and struts/shocks unless I was really going all out and had the budget for good coilovers.

Unless you think you have some extra-special needs, I'd go with Steeda Sport springs and Koni STR-T (orange) or Sport (yellow) struts/shocks, and call it "good for now." There are other similar springs, the key is they are a moderate drop and moderate stiffness increase.

The Steeda Sports give about 1" drop in the front and 1.25 in the back. This is enough to reduce the 4x4 affect but not enough to cause any major problems with clearances, suspension geometry, alignment, etc. Depending on how picky you are, you might want camber plates and adjustable panhard bar to bring everything back in to ideal specs.

When you say "performance package 4-piston Brembos" I am not sure if you are talking about the 2011-2014 Brembos, or the 2015+ brakes. There was a "track pack" in 2013-2014 with the Brembo brakes, but I think "performance package" refers to a V6 package, or later 2015+ years. The 2015+ calipers can be used on 2014- cars, but you need to use the S197 rotors, not the S550 rotors.

I road track my car and I find the 4-piston Brembos as used on the 2007-2008 GT500's and 2011-2014 Brembo GT's to be more than adequate. I haven't checked lately but I guess you can find them on e-bay; or for my money the best buy "big brake kit in a box" is the SVT GT500 14" brembos
https://www.americanmuscle.com/svt-brakekit-0509gt.html
I have that kit on my car and haven't seen any problems, including road track use, which is way beyond anything you will ever do on the street (unless you are a true menace to society, LOL)

Reactions: dddddyang

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I ended up settling on Steeda "Boss 302 Competition" springs on my 2011. They are about 30 lb/in stiffer and drop the car about half as much as the Sports did and I think the car looked better like that too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JBert thanks for you comment. I do understand the risk of running cheap coilovers, which is why i'm here asking about them. There are a few ones a little pricier that is still within my budget. The Pedders Extreme, and the ST coilovers, however neither of these has a built in camber/caster adjustment plates and I'll have to purchase them separately. I don't really know much about them but i feel like the comments given on AM could be biased for marketing reasons. The main reason for coilovers for me is to reduce body roll and lowering my car, which i figured the springs wouldn't give as much as a set of coilovers can give. Are those good brands? Or should I skip them?

And Blazin thanks for your comment too. I thought about springs but I also heard it is not a good idea to run lowered springs with stock struts and shocks. Is that true?? Becuase if so then a set of struts and springs and all the alignment work and etc afterwards won't make too much of a difference on the price.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For most of us, normal lowering springs and struts/shocks are fine; no real need for coilovers. In the past coilovers were mainly for racing applications where you couldn't get normal springs that were stiff enough. I guess these days their application has broadened but I would still be very leery of cheep ones, If it was my money, I'd spend it on normal springs and struts/shocks unless I was really going all out and had the budget for good coilovers.

Unless you think you have some extra-special needs, I'd go with Steeda Sport springs and Koni STR-T (orange) or Sport (yellow) struts/shocks, and call it "good for now." There are other similar springs, the key is they are a moderate drop and moderate stiffness increase.

The Steeda Sports give about 1" drop in the front and 1.25 in the back. This is enough to reduce the 4x4 affect but not enough to cause any major problems with clearances, suspension geometry, alignment, etc. Depending on how picky you are, you might want camber plates and adjustable panhard bar to bring everything back in to ideal specs.

When you say "performance package 4-piston Brembos" I am not sure if you are talking about the 2011-2014 Brembos, or the 2015+ brakes. There was a "track pack" in 2013-2014 with the Brembo brakes, but I think "performance package" refers to a V6 package, or later 2015+ years. The 2015+ calipers can be used on 2014- cars, but you need to use the S197 rotors, not the S550 rotors.

I road track my car and I find the 4-piston Brembos as used on the 2007-2008 GT500's and 2011-2014 Brembo GT's to be more than adequate. I haven't checked lately but I guess you can find them on e-bay; or for my money the best buy "big brake kit in a box" is the SVT GT500 14" brembos
https://www.americanmuscle.com/svt-brakekit-0509gt.html
I have that kit on my car and haven't seen any problems, including road track use, which is way beyond anything you will ever do on the street (unless you are a true menace to society, LOL)
And yes, about the bremobs. I am talking about the track pack 4 piston ones with 19" rims. How much improvement can they give? And also should I consider buying them off of ebay due to budget reasons??

·
Registered
11,403 Posts
. . . . . The main reason for coilovers for me is to reduce body roll and lowering my car, which i figured the springs wouldn't give as much as a set of coilovers can give. Are those good brands? Or should I skip them?

. . . I also heard it is not a good idea to run lowered springs with stock struts and shocks. Is that true?? Becuase if so then a set of struts and springs and all the alignment work and etc afterwards won't make too much of a difference on the price. . . .
. . .. I am talking about the track pack 4 piston ones with 19" rims. How much improvement can they give? And also should I consider buying them off of ebay due to budget reasons??
Regular springs and struts/shocks can stiffen things up, reduce body roll, etc. It is a question of "how much stiffer do you want it to be." There is no magic with coilovers; as I understand it, they generally can provide higher spring rates and/or more damping than you can get in regular springs/shocks. But most people would not want that stiff a spring rate or that much damping for the street because it would be too stiff and uncomfortable ride.

The reason you generally want new shocks/struts with the lowering springs, is that the lowering springs have higher spring rate (stiffer) than the stock springs, so they need more damping from the struts/shocks to keep them under control. The higher spring rate reduces the body roll, nose dive, etc; but it also makes the springs bounce back harder, so the shocks/struts need to be able to keep that under control. You "can" use the original shocks/struts but will probably find that the ride is "jittery" as the springs overpower the shocks/struts.

On the street, you probably won't notice any big difference with the big brakes, other than improved pedal feel (less pedal travel and less pressure needed on the pedal to stop the car.) The stock brakes are quite adequate for normal street use. The big brakes really make a difference on a track where the brakes need to stand up to the heat generated by repeated slowing from high speed. You might be able to get a good deal of e-bay, but you take your chances when you guy used parts; I would compare to the price of the new kit and then decide if the savings is worth the potential hassle.

Reactions: dddddyang

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Regular springs and struts/shocks can stiffen things up, reduce body roll, etc. It is a question of "how much stiffer do you want it to be." There is no magic with coilovers; as I understand it, they generally can provide higher spring rates and/or more damping than you can get in regular springs/shocks. But most people would not want that stiff a spring rate or that much damping for the street because it would be too stiff and uncomfortable ride.

The reason you generally want new shocks/struts with the lowering springs, is that the lowering springs have higher spring rate (stiffer) than the stock springs, so they need more damping from the struts/shocks to keep them under control. The higher spring rate reduces the body roll, nose dive, etc; but it also makes the springs bounce back harder, so the shocks/struts need to be able to keep that under control. You "can" use the original shocks/struts but will probably find that the ride is "jittery" as the springs overpower the shocks/struts.

On the street, you probably won't notice any big difference with the big brakes, other than improved pedal feel (less pedal travel and less pressure needed on the pedal to stop the car.) The stock brakes are quite adequate for normal street use. The big brakes really make a difference on a track where the brakes need to stand up to the heat generated by repeated slowing from high speed. You might be able to get a good deal of e-bay, but you take your chances when you guy used parts; I would compare to the price of the new kit and then decide if the savings is worth the potential hassle.
Well I have drilled and slotted rotors right now, compare to a just vented 4 piston brakes, how well will these improve braking consistency?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts