Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess this would be a question for the guys that have not done suspension and brake upgrades yet. When I have been ummm lets say breaking hard for a bit it seems that my steering wheel will start shaking. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Did ABS engage? It just might be vibrations from that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope the ABS did not come on. To describe it in more depth I would have to say it felt like warped rotors, but as they started to cool off the shaking seems to slowly go away. Also they sound like they are grinding when they heat up like this. Car has 15k on it and I have looked at the pads and they are not badly worn.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
And it's just when you break that the vibrations happen right? I'd take it to the dealer in that case. IT's still under warranty and you don't want your brakes failing when you drive it next time. I'd take it in just to be safe.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tw0scoops123 said:
And it's just when you break that the vibrations happen right? I'd take it to the dealer in that case. IT's still under warranty and you don't want your brakes failing when you drive it next time. I'd take it in just to be safe.
Yep, the steering wheel shakes only after hard breaking then stops shaking after she cools back down. Yeah I need to take it in just been thinking if there is any way they could blame a tune to cause break problems.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
zman2800 said:
Yep, the steering wheel shakes only after hard breaking then stops shaking after she cools back down. Yeah I need to take it in just been thinking if there is any way they could blame a tune to cause break problems.
I don't see how. Then again I don't know much about tunes and what parts of the computer it affects. I'd ask the person who sold you the XCAL 2. He could probably tell you whether you're safe or not to bring it in to Ford.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you try rotating the tires? If this fixes the problem them maybe a tire is out of balance. An out of balance tire on the front will be exaggerated under braking.

·
Registered
151 Posts
ZMAN, drive like a madman do you? Good for you!:happyhapp

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GR40Snake, Really? I did not know that. I will definitely get the balance check first then since that is free and would not hurt to be done anyways. Thanks for the info on that. Do you know at what speeds you would start seeing it happen? I think now that you said that about the balance I can feel it at least around 20mph.

Tw0scoop123, I will do that. I can’t see it either causing an issue.

Theyogawarrior, well duh, it is a stang.

·
Registered
403 Posts
if it happens AFTER a few very hard stops, might be :

brakes can get redhot on really abusive stopping- if scorching hot and you stop for a few seconds, the rotors will cool unevenly- pads might suck heat out, or block cooling air, but they will cool unevenly...hot brakes wont grab as well- might be a cause...

if it happens DURING hard stopping, I'd venture to gess a cracked rotor vent rib or just a flaky casting- we used to manufacture rotors, and once in a while you'd see a casting with some coreshift or whatever that made the brake surfaces thick/thin- like lateral runout in the cooling fins when it was cast. not supposed to get thru like that, but especially with all the offshore parts, who knows...thinner areas migh 'glow' before thicker areas :)

hope you find it- please let us know when you do.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well took it to the dealer and it apparently was a front passenger side strut issue. They said the seal had gone and was weak leaking pretty bad. They replaced the strut (which come to find out the great state of Texas did not have any in stock had to come out od state nice 2 day wait) and now all seems to be fine. Weird thing was it did not feel like it had any problems with it. Going over bumps I could not feel any weakness in the struts, it did not seem to dip bad or have bad bounce. Course now I can feel a world of difference. Guess it had been leaking slowly for a while and I got used to the change.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts