Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Original 66' 289, edelb. 1406, performer RPM, pertronix II/flamethrower II.

I have always had trouble starting the car. I have to pump the gas 5X, keep the pedal to the floor, and cross my fingers. Once warm, sometimes it will start with no persuasion, other times I will have to pump the pedal 2 or 3 times, then hold it to the floor. Sometimes when it is cold, I pump it 5X, hold it to the floor, it gives me a little start, then goes back to just cranking, I have to pump it about 7 or 8 times, hold it down, then it will probably go. Carb has been rebuilt recently, fuel pump is new, stock. I have gas at the inline filter at the carb. The electric choke works.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ted

·
Registered
151 Posts
Are you running a spacer? With a carb that big you need a spacer. Its weird you have to pump it so much. Af mixture might be off and idle screw not open enough

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am urnning a 1" alum. spacer. A/F and idle have been set with a vac gauge and tach.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I think your choke is not adjusted correctly, when an engine starts it needs a richer mixture than when it is at normal operating temp, I'm not an expert on the edelbrock 1406, but I've adjusted about everything else out there, when cold the choke plate should be closed completely, if not open the throttle a little and then it should go closed, if not it needs to be adjusted, the throttle should be opened a little by the choke fast idle cam. When the engine starts there should be a vacuum diaphragm of some type that opens the choke plate (choke pull off diaphragm) to keep from over choking the motor. Once the engine is fully warmed up and the choke is fully open the idle speed and mixture should be adjusted, how you have adjusted it is ok some of the time, I generally open the idle mixture screws 1/4 turn richer from the smoothest idle. Having to pump the accelerator 5X means its not getting enough gas, and holding the pedal down to start is actually counter productive as this lets more air in and leans out the mixture (clearing a flooded engine). I would work on adjusting the carb. Also your vacuum advance needs to be on ported vacuum (not manifold vacuum) if it is not. Also initial ignition timing is important. Good Luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Original 66' 289, edelb. 1406, performer RPM, pertronix II/flamethrower II.

I have always had trouble starting the car. I have to pump the gas 5X, keep the pedal to the floor, and cross my fingers. Once warm, sometimes it will start with no persuasion, other times I will have to pump the pedal 2 or 3 times, then hold it to the floor. Sometimes when it is cold, I pump it 5X, hold it to the floor, it gives me a little start, then goes back to just cranking, I have to pump it about 7 or 8 times, hold it down, then it will probably go. Carb has been rebuilt recently, fuel pump is new, stock. I have gas at the inline filter at the carb. The electric choke works.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Ted
I run the 1406 on virtually all of my small blocks without any trouble. I also run their performer manifold and cam and have had zero issues
I agree with the other answer that your electric choke may not be adjusted correctly. Check that adjustments
Are you sure that the fuel isnt draining back into the system when the car is parked? Just a thought. Next time its cold, close the choke and pour in some gas or squirt in some starter fluid and hit the key. If the car starts right up then you are losing pressure when it sits. I dont think its timing or it would sputter and buck every time

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help, I will screw with the choke this afternoon.

Thanks
Ted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts