Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my 1st V8 Mustang in Nov...a '95 5 sp. I'm retired and it's my new toy. It only leaves the garage on nice days so with it being winter it only gets out about once a week for 30-50 miles. Over the last few weeks it takes 6-8 seconds to start but runs fine once started. Even after stopping somewhere for an hour it still takes excessively long to start. It has a K&N intake and a friend of mine said that may the reason. Another friend said the fuel pressure regulator. What do you guys think it is?

Thanks in advance...

Dad's Yel 5.0

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
The gas might be going bad in the tank.
I'd try getting ahold of a fuel pressure gauge, and a code scanner. Those would be the best things to try. How are the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs? Look over the engine for disconnected vacuum lines, wires, anything amiss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
try this!!!

when you get in to crank the stang turn the key on for a second or two and let the fuel pump cycle on you will may hear it then turn the key off and do it again when it stops try to crank it if it starts better then you may have a fuel pressure problem get a fuel guage that will hook up to the sharder valve on the fuel rail Front passagers side it looks like a filler vave on your wheel and check your fuel pressure it should be between 35 to 40 psi while running and it should hold that pressure for at least 5 minuutes after you shut of the engine. a Hanes repair manual has the test procedures in it. it could be a dirty fuel filter or a faulty pump as well. if it looses pressure after the engine is cut off it is leaking down from an injector leaking or a leak in the fuel line circuit or mybe the pressure regulator. be careful with the gas and follow the manuals cautions and advice.
Hope this helps. :wavey

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
meangreen92 said:
The gas might be going bad in the tank.
I'd try getting ahold of a fuel pressure gauge, and a code scanner. Those would be the best things to try. How are the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs? Look over the engine for disconnected vacuum lines, wires, anything amiss.
Thanks for the feedback. I don't have a f.p. guage or code scanner. Previous owner replaced plugs only. At 75K miles the wires, cap, rtr could be original. That's electrical stuff and if that were the issue wouldn't I also detect performance issues?

Dad's Yel 5.0

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eagle05 said:
when you get in to crank the stang turn the key on for a second or two and let the fuel pump cycle on you will may hear it then turn the key off and do it again when it stops try to crank it if it starts better then you may have a fuel pressure problem get a fuel guage that will hook up to the sharder valve on the fuel rail Front passagers side it looks like a filler vave on your wheel and check your fuel pressure it should be between 35 to 40 psi while running and it should hold that pressure for at least 5 minuutes after you shut of the engine. a Hanes repair manual has the test procedures in it. it could be a dirty fuel filter or a faulty pump as well. if it looses pressure after the engine is cut off it is leaking down from an injector leaking or a leak in the fuel line circuit or mybe the pressure regulator. be careful with the gas and follow the manuals cautions and advice.
Hope this helps. :wavey
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try your start up suggestions today and go from there. I have a shop manual which should describe the test proc.

Dad's Yel 5.0

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I'd replace the battery cables. They are probably original and possibly corroded.

Inspect the ground cables also.

If you really want to get a condition of the motor, buy a compression tester. May have a dead/weak cylinder.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
You can do everything listed above, yourself, for less than $250. Including buying a fuel pressure gauge, and a scanner. I think wallmart has a scanner for around $20. Autoparts store should have a fuel pressure gauge. Speedshop will have a small one which stays on the car. Full tuneup, (lastly installing new O2s - once you're sure it's running right) and new battery cables should lead to the issue of increased performance - and economy. If platinum plugs were installed, replace them with Motorcrafts.
Only other things I can think of would be the Air Charge Temperature sensor, and the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. Is the ACT located in the intake ducting on the '94-'95s? If that is so, maybe something is amiss due to the K&N, i.e. the sensor is backing out, or something simple like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for the feedback.
Today I turned on the ignition switch twice and let the fuel pump time out before starting and it started right up. Obviously this is not a normal start up procedure but at least with this method I'm not draining the battery. So with this condition what is the likely cause
The battery and cables are relatively new and I can't see any coorelation with the hard starting. It turns over fine. A worn battery or a cable issue usually contributes to slow cranking. Could I go on indefinitely starting the car as I did successfully today
Am I possibly wasting gas?

Thanks again in advance for any additional feedback.

Dad's Yel 5.0

·
Registered
21 Posts
it could be...

It could be the fuel filter is about clogged up and this would be my first thing to change it is infront of the fuel tank a small metal can stapped to the underbody page 1-20 in the Hanes manual tell how to change it. It say to change it each 30,000 miles. If this doesn't fix it could be the fuel pump or an injector leaking down the pressure or a faulty pressure regulator or just a leak some where in the line or fuel rail check for leaks out side the motor because my dad had a 85 LTD that burn up because of one. but just go down the list and check it as the manuel says. Also some one told me if the pump is loud enough to hear it easily in the drivers seat its on its last leg but thats not from me so I can't confirm that but mine is loud but I have heard other 5.0s that were a lot louder then mine.
Hope this helps:wavey

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
There is also a checkvalve, which is part of the pump. It prevents fuel from going back into the tank through the pump. Fuel filter is cheap and easy enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.