Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies in advance if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything on it.

My 06 v6 stang starts really hard in the cold. The engine will start but will immediately sputter out within a couple seconds of starting. After the 2nd or 3rd try it starts right up and runs perfect.

I bought a brand new battery and it didn't change anything.

Also I have a 93 Octane Performance tune from Bama.

Any ideas what the cause might be? Could it be from my tune?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Apologies in advance if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything on it.

My 06 v6 stang starts really hard in the cold. The engine will start but will immediately sputter out within a couple seconds of starting. After the 2nd or 3rd try it starts right up and runs perfect.

I bought a brand new battery and it didn't change anything.

Also I have a 93 Octane Performance tune from Bama.

Any ideas what the cause might be? Could it be from my tune?

Thanks!
How long have you had the tune on?
I have a 93 oct tune(from AM/Bama) on my 05 v6 and havn't had any problems yet...been running it for about 4-5months now.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
my car has done exactly the same thing, 2 times so far this winter. both times was on really cold mornings, but it will stall after 2 seconds the first time, then start right up the second time i hit the key. i think its pretty normal with the bigger maf intake and the 93 tune. i`m not finding it to be a problem. i switched back to 87 last winter, but besides it running like a 4 cyl., i got way worse mileage. i`ll stick with my race tune this winter :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've had the 93 performance tune on it for about 4 months. It has trouble starting pretty much every morning. After the first start its fine for pretty much the rest of the day.

Think it something to do with the 93 octane being slow burning?

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Try this: turn the key to accessory and let it sit for a full 2-3 seconds before actually cranking the car. I know it sounds crazy. Only on ridiculously "oh my god I hate my life" cold mornings. :bigthumbsup

Report back!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try that next cold morning and post the results. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
23 Posts
tried that this morning and it started right up, then quickly stalled, but started and ran fine second time. and it was very cold (snowing) 91 oct tune here

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried the suggestion yesterday (about 20 degrees out). The car started quick and then immediately stalled out. On the second try it started and ran fine.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
i tried it too this morning, and it started right up 1st try... might be onto something there, not sure. but i know there will be more mornings to try it :)

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I haven't ever changed the fuel filter. Didn't even think about it. Guess I should look into that.

Not to be too ignorant, but how much would that cost and where is the filter?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks! I think I will give it a try.

·
Registered
967 Posts
since bamachips is no longer a sponser i have no problem saying this now. they had to send me about 5-6 tunes for my car before one of them wouldn't make my car go into limp home mode. a buddy of mine back in high school got his tune from bama and mysteriously had to replace his ECU a year and a half later... it spooked me into getting my car dyno tuned. having a car dyno tuned is like just having a faster car with a factory tune. everything feels so much more natural but of course you get to adjust things like throttle sensitivity and mph limiter :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
967 Posts
Well I haven't ever changed the fuel filter. Didn't even think about it. Guess I should look into that.

Not to be too ignorant, but how much would that cost and where is the filter?
filter is right below the drivers seat on the underside of the car above a plastic "skid plate". takes about 10 minutes to change and the filter itself is less than 5 dollars. it's in the scheduled maintenance at 50k i think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am at 71k so I think I am due. Gonna try to get to it next week.

·
Registered
37 Posts
If you follow Ford's guide, it's 30k miles between fuel filter replacements.

Now I just realized that in both the guides I linked they don't discharge the pressure in the fuel lines. I don't know what pressure the Mustangs use, but it's never a bad idea to discharge the pressure.

To do that, before you've started to pull the fuel filter, start the engine, and with the engine running, pull the fuel pump fuse. According to the owner's manual, it's fuse 41 in the power distribution box. The engine will stall after 5-10 seconds. Then you crank the engine for 5 or so seconds to be sure that the pressure has been discharged. After you've replaced the fuel pump, put the fuse back in.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
If you follow Ford's guide, it's 30k miles between fuel filter replacements.

Now I just realized that in both the guides I linked they don't discharge the pressure in the fuel lines. I don't know what pressure the Mustangs use, but it's never a bad idea to discharge the pressure.

To do that, before you've started to pull the fuel filter, start the engine, and with the engine running, pull the fuel pump fuse. According to the owner's manual, it's fuse 41 in the power distribution box. The engine will stall after 5-10 seconds. Then you crank the engine for 5 or so seconds to be sure that the pressure has been discharged. After you've replaced the fuel pump, put the fuse back in.
^ THIS! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
since bamachips is no longer a sponser i have no problem saying this now. they had to send me about 5-6 tunes for my car before one of them wouldn't make my car go into limp home mode. a buddy of mine back in high school got his tune from bama and mysteriously had to replace his ECU a year and a half later... it spooked me into getting my car dyno tuned. having a car dyno tuned is like just having a faster car with a factory tune. everything feels so much more natural but of course you get to adjust things like throttle sensitivity and mph limiter :bigthumbsup
AmericanMuscle now owns Bama. We are a sponsor.

It sounds like you dealt with Bama back when it was "Bamachips" from 2005-2009. This is before we purchased Bamachips and started taking over the day-to-day operations here in Philadelphia.

We send out thousands of tunes every month with nothing but great results, so I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with the original Bamachips. Let us know if there's anything you need.

You might want to get your tunes updated (its free, since you were a previous Bama customer). We have done amazing things to the tune files since we acquired the business.

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
+1 to chris and american muscle/bama tunes. i dont recall bama being a sponsor for this site when doug had it. i had a old bama race tune though that ran pretty good. i do think the tunes are better now though :bigthumbsup

p.s. motorcraft fuel filters are around 16.00 for the part :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.