Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently removed the factory vinyl stripes off of the bottom and the side of my '07. Unfortunately, I was left with a very hard, dry, white...blemishes, I guess you could say. I'm not sure if these are paint problems, or just leftover residue from the stripes. What would be the best method for removing these? I was thinking of Goo Gone, but whatever this is, it's somewhat thick at some spots, and I'm not sure if this would get the job done... I can take pics if needed.

Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha thanks. I saw that on their site, as I ordered some stripes from them a week ago and am applying them now, which is why I was removing the factory striping. I haven't used Naptha, I thought it was paint thinner. I will try that, though, thanks. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Goo gone would work if it is some left over sticky stuff.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update... Neither the goo gone, or the NAPTHA worked. I'm thinking now that it might be some tiny, tiny bits of leftover vinyl... Anyway I can get this off without damaging the paint?

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
That maybe what it is. Can you just kind of scratch at it with your finger nail and see if it comes off?

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
Maybe you should run it to a body shop and ask there opinion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might just do that. I'm going to try a plastic putty knife first though. I doubt that'd scratch anything.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I used straight vinegar on my leftover pieces of vinyl after I took my stripes off. I didn't really have too many pieces left over, though. The vinegar ate through most of it.

You can also try what a friend on another forum told me:

- Get a good sized jug of 3M adhesive remover.
- Get some paper towels and soak the towels in 3M adhesive remover.
- Cover the towels with saran wrap to keep the 3M adhesive remover from evaporating too quick.
- Let it sit for about 10 minutes and pull it all off. The adhesive will have turned into a gel.
- Use a stiff squeegee or some lightly flexable plastic and squeegee the gell off.
- Then put some 3m on a towel and wipe off the rest.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
41,825 Posts
That 3M stuff should do it. That is probably what is it some left overs. Keep us posted.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.