Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning when it was like 20 something degrees in west texas I was having a hard time starting my car. It was cranking but not starting? Happened the other day too. I cranked on it for like 10 minutes and when I could tell the battery was getting weak then, finally it cranked over. Idled ruff as hell from the cold weather I'm guessing. ANybody???

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
To take a stab, I think that the computer needs to go through a few cold starts to learn and enact a strategy for extreme cold. I tuned my car up, and it ran great like you'd expect, then within the next week or so, we had a cold snap, and it ran rough upon cold start and stalled. I was surprised. Next morning, it ran rough but didn't stall. It took a few days, but it learned to start and idle smoothly. I didn't have any long crank condition though.
You should check the fuel pressure next time it's cold.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
It finally got cold in this part of south texas (around 45-50 degrees, normally 90-105) and I did notice it took a little longer to turn over but it idled fine here. Im guessing your idle might be set just a little too low for this weather and the IAC valve was barely keeping it alive.

Did it idle fine after it was warm?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tapped the gas this morning and it started right up. Ran roughly like normal but started. My TPS is set at .87 because my car runs rich anyways. Maybe its not getting enough juice on startup and needs to be at .98 volts? What's IAC?

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
IAC = idle air control valve

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
my speed density 88 lx HATES the cold. and i live in PA. my tps sensor IS bad tho, so that might be a problem. also, strangely, my tachometer sticks in the cold. but not in normal weather... interesting, not a big problem, but strange

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.