Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Mustang V6 Premium
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a dash camera (Nexar Pro GPS 2-channel) in my Mustang (2014 V6 Premium) and I want to hard-wire the camera power in to the car. It seems that I should be able to tap the power for the auto-dimming rear-view mirror easily. I have a dark tint on the windows and the auto-dimming function doesn't usually work anyhow. 🤷‍♂️

Normally, the dash cam I bought plugs in to the 12v aux power point socket. I see nothing in Nexar's web site but it can't draw that much power... it's a 2-channel (front and interior/rear facing) camera system. The rear-view mirror is on fuse 41, an accessory delay circuit, with a 15A fuse. This is probably sufficient for the camera to operate...

I have been looking at the wiring diagrams in the Haynes repair manual but I can't locate any mention of the auto-dimming wiring system. There are three wires wired to the plug on the back of the mirror:
  • solid gray
  • solid medium blue
  • black/yellow

The dash cam company has a hard-wire kit that's just two wires - red and black. Does anyone know what these three wires on the mirror are? Or if that's not a good option, what about wiring in to the overhead console ahead of the switches for the map lights?

Thanks,
Don Zielke

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
The specs for your unit state " Connects to cigarette lighter power port. Double USB cigarette lighter power adapter provided. The included power adapter may reduce the 12 volts to useable safe power for your camera?? I'm thinking around 5 volts.
I would be reluctant to tap other power sources, as they may be near 12 volts.

If you want to hide your wiring, plug the USB adapter into the power outlet inside your console and hide the wire going to your camera. Just a suggestion..

·
Registered
2007 Mustang GT Convertible
30 Posts
You can purchase hard wire kits that will piggyback a fuse in the SJB, would have its own separate fused system the kits are less than £20

1 - 3 of 3 Posts