Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I am currently trying to hardwire in my radar detector in my ‘06 gt because it got old switching it out with my phone charger in the 12v outlet. I already bought a add-a-circuit fuse tap kit but I can’t find a fuse that will work for this. I already have slot #6 taken for my amplifier for my subs so I can’t use that. I also need a ground and not sure where to do that or if there are any wires nearby the passenger fuse box location that I should tap into instead. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hello,
I am currently trying to hardwire in my radar detector in my ‘06 gt because it got old switching it out with my phone charger in the 12v outlet. I already bought a add-a-circuit fuse tap kit but I can’t find a fuse that will work for this. I already have slot #6 taken for my amplifier for my subs so I can’t use that. I also need a ground and not sure where to do that or if there are any wires nearby the passenger fuse box location that I should tap into instead. Any help is appreciated.
I used the power outlet in my console and added an adapter that would accept multiple inputs. The only drawback on the 2006 Mustang is that it is not controlled by the accessory switch, and would require you to turn it off whenever you leave your car.
However, I saw one on Amazon that has individual power on and off switches, to cut your devices off when not in use. It also accepts USB plugs. Just a suggestion.

Attachments

Reactions: massacre

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
There is a power panel under the hood. One side is "hot" all the time and the other side is switched with ignition. Use your multimeter to find a fuse that is switched. Sometimes there are empty fuse locations and the source connector is already installed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've done this with my Garmin's in two cars, use a meter or test light to find a switched power fuse (I used the ignition if I remember correctly) attached the power outlet to it it for a ground I used the ground screw of the fuse box and tucked it neatly under the dash then routed the wire through the console to the Garmin. you would router it up under the windshield trim to the detector

Audio equipment Camera accessory Font Gadget Electronic device

·
Super Moderator
8,395 Posts
I would drive down to BestBuy where the Geek Squad usually works from and inquire what it would cost to have them hardwire your RD, and a dash cam too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've done this with my Garmin's in two cars, use a meter or test light to find a switched power fuse (I used the ignition if I remember correctly) attached the power outlet to it it for a ground I used the ground screw of the fuse box and tucked it neatly under the dash then routed the wire through the console to the Garmin. you would router it up under the windshield trim to the detector

View attachment 783421
The whole idea of hard wiring it in is to do away with the plug and outlet. That is the difference between hard wire and running a new circuit for another power outlet.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hello,
I was able to use this type of add a fuse. Is this the type you are using? I changed my radar detector and dash cameras to ignition switched from power port.

I used a meter to find a circuit that was switched hot when the ignition was on. Pulled the original fuse to find the hot side of the fuse on a circuit like powered external mirrors. Then used the tap to parallel a new fuse to the existing circuit. A video that shows the way I found a circuit to use.

I hope this helps, good luck to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts