Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a few posts recently where people have suggested that UDP's can cause problems such as the alternator not charging the battery completely; I think these are from the past (not current problems with current stangs and current UDP's) but I am not sure.

I have the Steeda UDP's on my 2010 GT and have noticed zero problems so far, everything seems to be just fine.

Does anyone know of any real problems with the current UDP's on S197 Mustangs?

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Great thread! This should clear some things up.

Like you've said, I've known people who've had problems with them, but it was in the 90s and the cars were GMs:laugh:

I'd love to get them but they make me too nervous. They would always be on my mind on every hot and cold day in Chicago. I'm a big A/C guy too! I even have it on sometimes with my windows open.:laugh:

J Bert. You should change this to a poll! I've noticed wayyyy more people tend to vote on polls rather than answers questions.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I bought my car used and the Steeda UDP came on the car and I have drove it for a year and a half with no problems at all. A/C isn't as cold as it could be but for what I use it for, I don't care. The only reason I am getting rid of them is because the Saleen S/C doesn't cooperate with after market UDP :shigrin

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
. . .
J Bert. You should change this to a poll! I've noticed wayyyy more people tend to vote on polls rather than answers questions.
yeah that would have been a good idea but I think it is too late now?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've been running the udp's for over a year and have not had any problems. I constantly run the a/c here in Houston.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
AZ here and one year no problems at all. And it is kinda hot here. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
No issues with my ASP UDP. 3yrs now. Only exected effects, battery charging not one of them and I use a dinky 11# DekaETX14. So steering's heavy at parking lot speeds; need A/C at 2 to keep cool on HOT days. Just those 2 and well worth the added benefit.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have had Steeda UDP's now for two years. No issues at all. I think if some are having issues with AC or steering, it is most likely something with the car and not the UDP's. Just my opinion but I have never noticed any issues with any belt driven component.

·
Registered
150 Posts
i've been thinking about udps too but i'm just too scared to get them haha. i live in nj so the heat is never an insane problem but im just too scared. most people dont see any problems so you should be fine. i guess i just dont think that 7 hp is worth the risk

·
Registered
531 Posts
my asp udp was perfect and there has been no problems

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had the Steedas on my 06 GT for over 5 years and 32k miles and the only issue I had was the bolts in the water pump pulley worked loose once. A little lock tight fixed that.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
To Date

No problems but I have not seen my car since September either.
The car gets started and driven about 20 miles a week.
It stays in the garage during the winter and even after sitting it starts up.
So a charge issue I think would have shown up by now.
I insatlled them July 2009.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had them on a 94 GT with the 5.0 and they did cause some issues back then. The A/C would barely work when sitting idle unless you held the RPM's up by holding on the gas a little. This sucked when I went to the street machine nationals back then in Marion IL. From what I understand though, the newer UDP's and the pulleys on the 4.6 are a little different routing that supposedly does not affect the A/C?? At least that is what I read on another post.

·
Registered
10,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
. . . . From what I understand though, the newer UDP's and the pulleys on the 4.6 are a little different routing that supposedly does not affect the A/C?? At least that is what I read on another post.
no, it definitely does affect the A/C -- the main drive pulley on the crankshaft (aka harmonic balancer) is smaller diameter than the stock pulley, which means the main serpentine belt is moving slower, so everything on that belt including the A/C is running slower . . . actually that is one of the things I like about it, I hate wasting energy running the A/C compressor full speed every time I use the defrost when I don't really need that much cooling

whether you can tell the difference is a different story . . . I don't use my A/C a lot but when I did I noticed that it wasn't super strong/cold in the first place, now it seems perhaps a little less cold but still plenty for me, I haven't even needed to run it full blast (yet - I am in New England and it is still early summer here)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Buddy of mine/fellow employee has had Steeda UDP's on his 06 GT since he bought it new. So he's 5 years and about 60k miles on them no problems. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
182 Posts
If the only thing holding you guys back is the fact you think the a/c is going to disappear, you should go get them.My A/C doesn't work AS good as my friend's who doesn't have the UDP but that just means I have to have it on the 2 level instead of the 1st. The car still gets cold pretty fast, especially if you start driving. It takes a minute if you are just sitting, but normally takes me about a mile or so for the air to really kick on and after that I am nice and cool

·
Registered
352 Posts
I guess I didn't think about AC when I made my statement about belt driven accessories. I have a 'vert and when it is nice enough we have the top down. I don't think I have ever even turned on the AC. So...I can't say anything about AC but as far as charging/lights/power steering/etc..., I have never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
My main issue is like the earlier poster said, having to keep my foot on the pedal when idling, with the air and the lights and the radio, etc all being asked to do 100% of their job with only 75% of the juice.

And even if I never have a problem, am I going to even notice the 5-10 hp gains?

Also, how easy is install, easy enough to put them on, not like them and install the old ones again in my driveway?

Keep in mind, you're dealing with the Anti-mechanic over here:gringreen Putting on my cai was easy, I looked at the nitrous install instructions and I'd try brain surgery first:laugh:.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
will the udp's require a tune?
No they don't Also the comment about having to press the gas was for an older model car. I really don't see the problem here. The underdrive pulleys work well on our cars so whats all the whining about lol :yelwacko:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts