Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I descide to go with offroad pipes and ditch the cats on my 96 mustang gt, i would need to get MIL eliminators.

Has anyone had success with the plug in MIL eliminators, are they a good part?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Don't waist your money, they don't last long enough. Also if the state of Ill. requires cats, to pass vehicle inspection. Your better off, with a free-flowing catted X pipe. Bassani or Magnaflow, make an excellent exhaust system, Mike. Sct Tuner.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have a bassani catted x pipe but then gutted the cats and ordered a pair of the plug-in MILs from AM and after installing them they didn't clear all of the codes that those rear sensors can throw. They got rid of the PO420/430 codes (cat efficiency below threshold) but i was still throwing a PO141/161 which is some kind of sensor heating malfunction. I called AM and they are sending me a new pair for free so hopefully the new MILs will work correctly. I have been told by many people that it is not uncommon to be sent a bad pair of MILs. If the new MILs dont do the trick im going to just have to bite my lip and order some new bassani cats and say byebye to my new amazing exhaust sound with the gutted cats :weeps

·
Registered
320 Posts
I haven't have the need to put MIL eliminators with my cat-less Bassani BX X pipe. I've had it this way for at least 5 months with no check engine light. When I purchased the X pipe from my friend, he had it in his car for about 2 years without MIL eliminators and no check engine light as well.

I did had a pypes x pipe for about a week and got the CEL in about 2 days after install. IMO, Bassani has been the best in both quality and sound overall and most importantly, no need for MIL eliminators in some cars for some reason.:headscratch:

Oh yeah, if your state requires emissions, DO NOT THROW OR SELL your stock h-pipe. You'll need it for emissions test.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I put the MIL`s on but it still threw the codes, I just used my SCT tuner and turned the oxygen sysnsors off and no more check engine light. A Tuner does alot of good things..:bigthumbsup

Jimmy B..

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
ALL states require cats, but if they don't inspect, you can run without them. As far as mils go, they work fine, I haven't heard any complaints about them wearing out, but the best option is a tuner like sct or predator that allows you to turn off the rear O2's, all they do is monitor cat efficiency, and since without cats the cat efficiency is 0 they will throw the cel. The fronts are the only ones that matter and are unaffected by mils or turning off the rear sensors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made my own MIL emiliminators from a website and I have been running great now for months. I had the check engine light come on after installing o/r x pipe and flowmaster 40 series and after installing the home made MIL eliminators, the light is off!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
i have a mac o/r x ... my light comes on every now an then .. but all i do is run down the street to autozone and use their diagnostic to turn the code off... usually keeps it off for a few weeks at a time .. i didn't get mils cuz i didn't wanna waste the money , so i could just save up for a hand held tuner !! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.